Daily Check In December 6, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Daily Check In December 6, 2022

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning, everyone. We have heavy rain this morning. The first time I took Hope out it was dry, the second time, we were both surprised by the downpour.

I slept well and long - very grateful for that. DD popped her head in my room around 9:00 last night to see if either of my dogs wanted to go out - Lucy did. I do not remember her bringing Lucy back in.

I am taking my time getting ready this morning - since I'm not feeling well, I'm trying to not work early or late - just my normal day. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment to get my tire done before work.

I'll be making some oatmeal for today's breakfast and lunch will be a can of soup and crackers. Supper is unknown at the moment. I am hoping for a good day at work and wish all of you a good day too!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In December 6, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

HappyDaze, I glad that you are taking it easy getting back into the workday. Best continue that until you feel totally well.

I am up all 5'5" of my aching body. I think I have become a weather station as I age. The whole-body ache comes when we are going to have a drastic change in weather. That is exactly what is happening. Temperatures are right now -19C (-2F) with a windchill of -28C (-18F) and they are going to fall during the day. We are also getting more snow. Hopefully this cold snap does not stall over my province (it has done so before) and keeps right on moving east. The temperatures are supposed to improve as the week progresses, more snowfall on the weekend, however. Sure glad I will not be out and about today or tomorrow.

Bit of a cold starting here. I will probably test for Covid if it gets much worse. I have heard however that the newest strains sometimes do not show up on rapid tests. That is a bit scary. I do not want to have to go to the hospital as they are so overworked with flu cases and the respiratory virus that children are getting. The hospital in the next city towards the capital has shut down the emergency room for the next while during the night due to a shortage of nurses and have told their city to come here or go to one of the hospitals in the capital. Not a good situation at all right now.

I have a shorter task list today. I need to put the dishes away, fold the clothes that are hanging downstairs, add the candy canes to the tree downstairs, iron, sweep floors, clean my desk area, do an unfinished task or two from yesterday and I am caught up. I plan on working on the rug, and getting the quilt sandwiched.

I ran into a slight problem yesterday with the backing I had chosen for the quilt. I use old sheets and blankets as backing and the one I had gotten ready was just too small. I wracked my brain trying to figure out what to do and then this morning it came to me. I have had the bolt of fabric I used for the borders for around 10 years and there should be enough to back the quilt still on it. Turns out I am correct; I will have to sew a seam or two to make it large enough but there is more than enough, and it will all be one colour. I also get to use up fabric that has been around forever. The sheet will be folded back up and used for a smaller quilt.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I can get some tarts made this morning (let's see how the toaster oven does on Christmas baking) and perhaps later on the Almond Bark. Must get a few baked goods and some candy made.

So, as you can all see just a regular day here on the old homestead using things up, making do, or doing without. Frugalling along as is usual.

Supper tonight will be a chicken casserole made using a bag of frozen chicken from the fridge freezer (working on keeping that down a bit) and a marinated salad which will more than likely last us a few days.

Today I am grateful to be inside and not out in the cold, I pray that those who are homeless have found a warm spot.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Before I go on about my day, I want to ask you for your prayers for a baby.

My sister has this friend whose daughter went to school with her daughter. This girl has a 1 year old son. At 2 months the child developed an issue with breathing which the pediatrician had dismissed. It has gotten so much worse that surgery has been called for. The child can't sleep and breathing is way too difficult.

The original doctor they saw this time around wanted to schedule it 3 months from now (March), but the grandfather said the child might not be around in 3 months so he found a surgeon who had performed many successful, complicated surgeries, including separating conjoined twins at the brain to perform the surgery.

It is to be a 6 hour surgery on the esophagus. It's in the process of being scheduled and will probably be before Christmas. Please send prayers this little boy's (Nico) way. Thank you.

Happy, glad to see that you're feeling better. Take it slow.

Jackie, sorry that you're feeling such discomfort due to the change in weather. I used to be able to tell the change in the barometric pressure when I was dealing with sinus/allergy issues.

It's raining here today and also tomorrow. I might run out to the store in a minute; haven't decided yet as it's something I could really wait for.

I'm pretty much done with everything I need to do but still have some dusting.

Today I want to hit the Ancestry site. I also want to try a coloring technique with white pencil on white paper that I think might work so that you can actually see the pencil. Other than that it will be a whatever else happens kind of day.

Dinner tonight is rice and beans.

Well that's it for now. Have a wonderful day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Logics, I will pray for little Nico. Very scary! Keep us posted on how he is doing.

I did not sleep well, went to bed later than usual and woke up in the night and couldn’t go back to sleep. Today is the pre-Christmas luncheon for our little group. It is at one of my favorite Italian restaurants. I’m looking forward to it!

My cousin called last night. He has Covid for the second time. He self tested on Sunday and was able to get his doctor to prescribe Paxlovid for pickup the same day and said he already feels better. So far his wife, who is diabetic, doesn’t have it. I worry about her.

I have small Christmas gifts for two people in my neighborhood who helped me this summer when I was weak. Now that the sidewalks are finished, I’ll try to go to their houses this afternoon.

It’s another lovely, warm day here. We could use some rain. I’ve been watering my plants a lot and did some watering at mom’s house yesterday.

Have a good day and hope everyone who is feeling poorly feels better.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Most tasks completed. I will be getting dressed (don't really want to but will) and starting to sew the backing together. Then I will make the Butter Tarts and do get the quilt sandwiched.

The temperature keeps dropping so it looks like the Arctic Vortex has arrived. It will be much safer to stay inside over the next few days.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Logics, I will add Baby Nico to my prayers. Thank goodness for his grandfather!

Jackie, I am sorry you feel so bad. My worst knee is also an excellent barometer.

We had tremendous rain last night. After we went to bed, the wind picked up too and the rain was pouring down. It's supposed to be rainy all week and help alleviate the drought conditions in the Southeast.

We let Lily Dog sleep on the bed with us last night. I kept the heated throw on the bed turned on low all night because the rain brought the cold, and she was happy to sleep next to me on a warm spot. Because of her bad heart, her circulation isn't too good so she seeks out warmth. We both slept really well.

DH's new recliner is supposed to be delivered today around lunchtime. I still need to make a trip to a grocery store for bread, tangerines, and now puppy potty pads, as the pups preferred not to go out in pounding rain and used up most of what we had.

Hope you all have a good day and those who are not well feel better.
Mackie