Daily Check In January 25, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In January 25, 2023

Post by Jackielou »

Off to get my coffee. Back before you know it.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In January 25, 2023

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The temperature is a bit cooler this morning, but it is supposed to warm up. I hope to get outside and chip a bit more of our snow away from one corner of the vehicle shelter. I did get some of the build up removed yesterday but a whole lot more needs done.

I tried to use my tracing paper to add the markings to my cut out dresses. Not working very well. I may have to wait until I can purchase something better. Not sure what they have for transferring markings here, it might have to wait until I hit the city and the fabric store there. I will just keep trying. I may as well get the interfacing cut today though for both projects and add that to the project bags.

Household task list for today is dust, make my extra (monthly) cleaning list, set some goals for next month, bake bread, water plants, clean my stove top, and chip more of that snow away.

I will be tackling 2 cupboards to get them cleaned and organized inside. So nice to see all the space that is appearing in them. I just hope that this next series goes just as well.

Frugally, once again I will be staying close to home. I may make a trip to get the mail in the afternoon if the other tasks are completed. That will give me more exercise and a bit more fresh air, which is something I need.

I do hope it is sunny today, yesterday in the late afternoon the sun broke through the clouds for a bit and it was so nice. It also gave me a bit of solar heat, it was great not to hear the furnace running using natural gas and electricity.

I will be starting my grocery list very soon. The exact 2 week mark is the last day of this month... I really do not want 3 shopping trips this month so I am hoping to put it off by a day. I am also wondering if this year I should challenge myself to shop on the 15th of a month and on the last day. Extending the length between visits even just one day is something to think about and what I used to do when Hubby only got paid twice a month rather than biweekly. I think I could do that with ease now that I am used to the every two week trip. Of course I would have to make a trip to get our prescriptions as those do not fall in that shopping time. Something to think about in any case.

I have been reading about the costs of various food items in some stores and thinking to myself that if prices have gotten that high in the cities back east, heaven help us small cities in some forgotten corner of the Canadian prairies. My lord $8 or $9 for 12 eggs at one of the stores in Toronto. Sure hope that does not happen here.

The Bank of Canada is planning on raising (or at least that is what is being said) the prime rate by 1/4 of a percentage at some point today. Which means interest rates on credit cards, mortgages, and other borrowing costs will be up. Our provincial power corporation has asked to raise their rates by 4% citing losses, and who knows what the provincial tele0phone, mobile, and natural gas companies will do. Sure interest rates on savings are rising due to this, but not enough to cover inflation. I really don't think wages will keep up either. This next year is going to be a bit scary and being frugal will certainly come in handy.

Supper tonight is going to be soup and probably egg salad sandwiches. I have a couple of cans that are getting very close to their use by date.

Today I am grateful that Hubby and I really have no debt (just the vehicle at 0 % interest and will be paid off in June).

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning!

Just above freezing here and it's raining snow. .. best description I can give for those heavy, wet flakes. At the moment, our street looks slushy and traffic on the main road seems to be moving well. So I imagine DH got to work OK.

Just finished perusing the grocery ads. I was a little annoyed this week because I had to make a couple of stops to get something. On the other hand, it worked out OK, since some things I couldn't get Friday had been restocked. And scored a package of 10 for $10 pork chops marked down to $5.

Today, need to make chicken broth (or maybe just turn it into soup), finish unloading/reloading the dishwasher, work a bit, then see what else the day brings.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning, frugal friends. Right now Dora Kitty is sitting on the leg rest of my chair with me. This is unprecedented because she is not a lap cat and yet she's right next to my leg. Lap-adjacent, so to speak. Such a sweet girl!

I slept really well. This is such a nice change. There are a few chores today and a visit to the allergy clinic after lunch. Right now the weather is overcast again. There was rain in the night and today is supposed to turn off windy and rainy. Pretty typical for January except that it's not very cold.

Hope you all have a safe and peaceful day.
Mackie
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

We're going to have a day of mixed precipitation rain/snow changing to all rain. From the looks of the "cones" they've put out in our parking lot, they seem to be expecting a blizzsrd. The weather report says snow less than an inch that will be washed away by the rain later. Oh well.

Morning routine is done. Not sure what the day will hold although I will work on my menu plan for next month. It seems that I've used more of my stockpiled items this month and is looking like my grocery bill will come in less than $110 for January.

I know I will do some reading and playing some games on the computer also.

Dinner tonight is pancakes.

Well that's all for now. Have a great day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello friends.

HappyDaze, I hope that you feel better this morning and don’t have a full-blown cold/respiratory illness. My cousin in RI got over Covid not that long ago and now has what they diagnosed as sinusitis with a very bad cough.

I slept pretty well. It is a warm but somewhat overcast day so far. I watered all my entry way plants even though we expect rain tonight. (This should guarantee that we get the rain!) Then I wrapped my friend’s small gift for tomorrow’s birthday luncheon.

Today I’ll stay home, finish my puzzle and book and watch some of the European Figure Skating Championships on Peacock. Peacock’s figure skating coverage is pretty pathetic but better than nothing. I may run to the library that has the best selection of dvds later.

Have a good day.