Guardian piece about US egg prices

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Guardian piece about US egg prices

Post by MackerelCat »

There's a really good piece in The Guardian about why U.S. egg prices are so high:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/25/18-a-dozen-how-did-americas-eggs-get-absurdly-expensive
Mackie
clemencia2us

Re: Guardian piece about US egg prices

Post by clemencia2us »

wow - 18 dollars a dozen.

Ok - will admit that the COD gets eggs at SAM's. He buys the 18 count and I do not know how much they cost.

The last time I bought eggs - I did buy the jumbo, so those are more anyway. Think I paid 6 or 7 for a dozen. But then the local IGA is pricy anyway.

We have people that sell eggs here in our rural area - and they are not expensive.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

That is a really good article. While I agree that the "input costs" of feed, gas, etc. have gone up, I would not be surprised if there is some price gouging going on at some level of the supply chain.

Even if I consumed eggs I would not buy them at these prices. If I could have chickens where I live, I would - and I would sell the eggs for cheap - real cheap.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Its not a secret that I eat two eggs every day, and sometimes three. And will continue to buy them, no matter the price.

Right now, I am paying seven dollars a dozen for "happy eggs" brand and neelies or vital farms may be in the eight to nine dollar range, but not 18 bucks.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I googled egg prices at SAM's. Shows for 24 - 2 dozen - about 8 dollars.

I need to remember to have the COD give me his receipts.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I spent $4.99 for a dozen eggs from free range, organic-fed chickens this week. The ones from chickens living in hellish misery are only slightly less expensive, only about 40 cents cheaper.
Mackie