Guardian piece about US egg prices

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: Guardian piece about US egg prices

Post by ohjodi »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:31 am Jodi, I just make half the box at a time of cake mix into cupcakes and use one egg, a tiny bit more oil and a tiny pinch of baking powder to add back the lift of the omitted half egg. Cupcakes are good for us because it's automatic portion control.

I'm also not making recipes that require a lot of eggs. I used to scramble five for our pancake and egg suppers, but cut it back to three. Now there are no leftovers for the dogs and I get about half an egg, but that's okay.
I usually make 1/3 of the mix, but that time I was going to give most of the cake to my sister and her family :-)

Cupcakes don' work as portion control for me. Nothing works as portion control, other than not having tihngs in the house LOL
ohjodi
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

ohjodi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:40 am I usually make 1/3 of the mix, but that time I was going to give most of the cake to my sister and her family :-)

Cupcakes don' work as portion control for me. Nothing works as portion control, other than not having tihngs in the house LOL
Yes, lots of things are just as good or better straight out of the freezer.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Am I the only one here who doesn't like England eggs? I find when I crack them open..the whites are so watery.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:33 pm Am I the only one here who doesn't like England eggs? I find when I crack them open..the whites are so watery.
I've rarely bought them, but I haven't had a problem with this batch of four dozen I bought. The whites are really thick.

Watery eggs are older. Mine are dated Feb 23, so they'll probably thin out by then.
ohjodi
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Just saw a post in our local area page about eggs

18 beautiful fresh brown eggs for 4 dollars!

A dozen for three.

Maybe cuz it is warmer down here and hens are actively laying - we have better prices?
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I do not buy eggland eggs. My first choice is happy eggs brown eggs or nellies or vital farms. I like the yolks to be almost orangy. Right now those first two opetions are in the six dollar range where I am.

I am not going to stop buying healthy and or high protein food because of cost. I will buy them on sale when possible and I will adjust my budget when necessary but eggs are still a fairly low cost source of protein andhealthy fat.