Guardian piece about US egg prices

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Guardian piece about US egg prices

Post by floridacatlover »

I’m going to predict that a year from now (or sooner) eggs will be less than $3 a dozen.

Look at the price of chicken right now - very cheap.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I shop H-E-B and get delivery so my prices are 3% higher than in store plus a delivery charge and a tip. But I no longer drive. Just to go to the store would cost me more by taxi. I don't like food shopping by Taxi or ViaTrans.

The delivery price for 1 dozen large grade AA eggs is $4.97. It is $4.83 in store.

The grade A Hill Country Fare Grade A eggs are $4.48 in store $4.61 for delivery.

I buy the Grade AA eggs.

H-E-B Central Market organic pasture raised large brown eggs are $7.54 Delivery 3% less for in store.

Penny
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

One thing about writing out a grocery list and someone else doing your shopping, you don’t get upset seeing the prices. I just pay the bill when it posts on the credit card. Have no idea what he paid for eggs this week. He said they were high, but I eat them so still cheaper than most meat.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Yes, eggs seem to be outrageously priced in comparison to a few weeks ago. So every time I then go an calculate the price per egg. $8 for 12 eggs is still about 67 cents per egg. For those of us who eat them, they are still on of the cheapest sources of protein.

Like quilter, I am diabetic and I have not been watching my carbs and it is showing on the scale. So back to eggs for breakfast. I will grit my teeth and put them in my cart.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

My IGA has had Eggland's for 3.59 for the last two weeks, unadvertised. I have four dozen.....I did not buy them all at once, two dozen each of the last two weeks, so I don't think I'm being greedy. They're dated Feb 23, and good for a couple weeks longer, than that so I'm all set.

I had always bought "pastured/organic/cage free/etc" and lately standard eggs have actually cost MORE than those.....the problem is that people are now buying those instead of the standard eggs, so they're often out of stock lol

I love eggs. I have always refused to believe they are anything but good for you. I eat them almost every day, but lately I've been skipping here or there. I've noticed Eggland's have a lot of vitamin D, and I'm low on that, so I might keep buying them.

I have a box of chocolate cake mix in my cabinet, I took it down yesterday, wanting to make it, it's been there forever..............but it takes THREE eggs! I know I could make it with two, but sheesh! I'll make a "wacky cake", instead, which doesn't need any eggs at all.

If you use any kind of baking mixes or pancake mixes, look for those that only need water or milk.

While the price increase hasn't been too difficult for me to absorb, I do feel really bad for families.
ohjodi
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Jodi, I just make half the box at a time of cake mix into cupcakes and use one egg, a tiny bit more oil and a tiny pinch of baking powder to add back the lift of the omitted half egg. Cupcakes are good for us because it's automatic portion control.

I'm also not making recipes that require a lot of eggs. I used to scramble five for our pancake and egg suppers, but cut it back to three. Now there are no leftovers for the dogs and I get about half an egg, but that's okay.
Mackie