Daily Check In - 28 January 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In - 28 January 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:15 pm Mackie, I don’t use a lot of bread but was surprised that regular Publix-brand whole wheat bread (nothing special) is now $2.99. Before the pandemic it was about $1.97 and it has been inching up but last time I bought it was $2.59. I need to go to Aldi but have been scared away by the resurgence of Covid but I wonder about their bread prices.

You mentioned the arthritis in your hands. I wondered why so many people use bread machines now a days instead of making bread “the old fashioned way.” I’ve never made bread (except beer bread in my youth) but mom always made it the old fashioned way when I was growing up. I don’t think that bread machines were common like now.
Even if the Kitchen Aid mixer does the kneading, I have to punch it down and shape it for the final rise. Our kitchen is cold too, and it's hard to get bread to rise correctly without putting the bowl on a heating pad or in a bigger bowl of hot water and wrapped in a towel. I am ready for it all to be way less of a production.

I like the bread with more fiber in it, and it's $4 for a smaller loaf now. Yikes.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Quilter51 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:44 am Morning all

Yes, the gourmet meal I had was delicious. There was no game option or I would have had it. I understand eating game is a not something some people want to hear about, but can cook oxtails but not rabbit or venison myself. The chocolate tart was to die for and although had planned to divide it into three days, I may end up eating the rest today and walking for two hours, lol.

Jackie, I admire your effort. Even when I had kids at home I did the "cook double and freeze" thing although I purchased a couple of those once a month cooking type books. I follow a gal whose channel is called the friendly freezer on youtube, but she puts raw food into ziploc bags and freezes it and then throws it into the slow cooker (stuffed peppers the other day) and I prefer the opposite.

I have a small order to pick up this afernoon. A wierd mix: eggs, detergent, dish soap, fresh fruit and a five salad bowls for my lunches. I really need to make mysel fan inventory sheet so I can get back into the one trip thing.

dinner is pretty much set for today with my leftovers with veggies or a salad added.

After my morning chill time I will head in the sewing room. I am doing a craft fair the day before easter so I mainly want springy stuff rather than easter specific, and a "nerd fair" in march. I may have to go off the used fabric wagon for that, and get some star wars and harry potter and gaming fabric and make some reading pillows with book pockets.

I have decided I will not be keeping Hulu live after this month. Next year I will probably get it again for sports/football or some alternative. But i have had it for a month and except for getting to watch jeopardy which I do not normally do, I have not watched much of anything . (I do get regular hulu through my daughter the one with commercials) . I can news options with my fire stick, and there is more than enough for me to watch without paying the 75 bucks, So I will let it go after this weekend and watch the superbowl at my daughters. When the march madness comes, I may be going to a pub with food a few nights, but that is okay.

Off to do a few things around here.
Quilter, there may be a way to watch the Super Bowl on your fire stick. In at least some past years it has been shown on my Roku through the Roku channel. I think the broadcast network might allow it in order to boost the audience for advertisers. This year it is on Fox so I don’t know. Keep an eye out or do a search “how to watch the Super Bowl.”
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Update:
FloridaCat, I don't think the "chicken death" had anything to do with the raccoon, I think that chicken died of old age.
Talking about making pancakes, have you ever mixed the batter in a pitcher or old ketchup bottle with the squirt top? So much easier and way less mess putting the batter on the pan/griddle. With the squirt top you can then make any size pancakes you want.
Mackie, check the thrift stores for bread makers. I have never bought a new one. Funny story in 2019, when we would go to yard and garage sales I bought a bread maker with books and everything for 7.00. The lady said she got it and used it once because it seemed like too much trouble. That summer we ended up with I think 5 machines because different people said they wanted one and some of them were just given to me because they just wanted them gone from the yard sales! all I had to do was look at them and the owners would say please just take it! My original wore out last year (5.00 from GW) and I replaced it from my garage stock and I have another one on the shelf waiting on me.

The sun is shining and temps are up slightly, but I don't seem to have a lot of "drive". :?
I did some handwashing and have it drip drying in the tub (i use my extra curtain pole), could do other things but not feeling the urge,

JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:24 pm Even if the Kitchen Aid mixer does the kneading, I have to punch it down and shape it for the final rise. Our kitchen is cold too, and it's hard to get bread to rise correctly without putting the bowl on a heating pad or in a bigger bowl of hot water and wrapped in a towel. I am ready for it all to be way less of a production.

I like the bread with more fiber in it, and it's $4 for a smaller loaf now. Yikes.
You don't need heat to make bread rise - just time.

I've read that it will even rise in the refrigerator. And there are recipes out there for no knead dough.

I used to make bread by hand, in a machine and with the Kitchen Aid. It was when I used a recipe from my Kitchen Aid book that I realized I had been making the dough before too dry - too much flour. The dough I made in the mixer was sticky, but worked great after it rose.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Our thrift stores are very picked over, JCKitty. I did see the one I want new on eBay for $40 less than Amazon and eBay has good customer protection.
Mackie
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:24 pm Even if the Kitchen Aid mixer does the kneading, I have to punch it down and shape it for the final rise. Our kitchen is cold too, and it's hard to get bread to rise correctly without putting the bowl on a heating pad or in a bigger bowl of hot water and wrapped in a towel. I am ready for it all to be way less of a production.

I can remember when a loaf of bread was .17 and a quart of milk .20 and an ice cream cone .05.