Daily Check In - 28 January 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Daily Check In - 28 January 2023

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning!

It is 6:30 and I am up!

I slept very well and had to take the pups out, so just decided to stay up. I feel very good.

Wide awake. I'm having my coffee.

I rained during the night and it isn't so cold out there. Temp is 50 degrees. Yesterday was in the 30s when we got up.

Guess it will probably rain off and on all day.

Have a great one.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In - 28 January 2023

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Unlike Clem's weather and warm day ahead, it seems that the Arctic Vortex from Siberia hit here. I have woken up to -23C (-10F) with windchills of -34 C (-23,F) and it is just supposed to get colder by tomorrow. I guess that now winter has arrived on the Canadian prairies. Planning on staying close to home that's for sure.

I need to haul out all the items I am going to prepare today, and get started. First off will be the stock I guess as that simmers all day. I will then make the chickpea curry if I can find a decent recipe (might use the one posted a couple of days ago), then I will make the meaty spaghetti sauce as I will need to clean my large pots. Lastly will be the items going into the oven muffins, cupcakes and the ribs. This should keep me busy for most of the day I think. I will hopefully get a bit of knitting time a bit later in the day.

Other household tasks for today are sending in the Neilson scan, putting away the clean dishes, baking bread (thank heavens for the bread machine), and calling my youngest brother. Nothing that really takes a long time except for the weekly call to my brother.

Since I will be cooking most of the morning/afternoon I will not be spending any cash and it is much too cold to be out and about. I plan at looking online at the cost of hotplates (may break down and get one for some of those evening meal preps) and griddles. Had a griddle years ago but when it broke down I did not replace it. This is one of the smallish extra tasks I will complete while things are magically happening on the stove and in the oven.

So that is my plan for today. Wish me luck on the batch cooking front, I have never done this before. I usually just make big batches of things a few days in a row and after our meal package them up. This will be a foray into something new and if I like it I may continue. If not I will go back to my old way of cooking ahead, which really is not a bad way of doing things.

Supper tonight will be the ribs along with the leftover rice and a veggie.

Today I am glad that the stove and or oven will be on to help keep the house warm. Perhaps the furnace will not run so often (running a great deal this morning).

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning Clem and Jackie and everyone.

Clem, you were up more than 2 hours before me. Jackie, brrrrrrrr...that is some COLD you are experiencing. I hope you stay snug and safe.

I feel like there is so much to be thankful for this morning - another bright sunny day, a good night's sleep (up once), content dogs (for now) and hot, delicious coffee! I slept way longer than I intended - almost 9:00 - but I sure did need it.

I almost do not dare say that I'm starting to feel better but I think I am. I'm going to continue my medicine and steam treatments today and take it relatively easy just to be on the safe side.

I soaked a bowl of beans overnight - I need to get those going in the slow cooker. Part of them will be chili, some will be turned into veggie burgers for the freezer. Off to finish my coffee, find something for breakfast and at least get that done.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Quilter, your gourmet dinner sounds good and I’m glad that you didn’t have rabbit this time!

I was up late again last night watching the skating and slept in this morning. It is chilly but is supposed to be warmer today. But it is overcast so it feels colder.

Today is the big annual celebration called Gasparilla in Tampa with a parade and “invasion” by boats including a pirate ship so I hope that the weather clears up. There is lots of drinking and bead throwing and thankfully there is a separate parade for children which was held last weekend.

I went to a nearby Redbox this morning and rented Elvis. I had enough points, mainly from before the pandemic, to get it free. It’s a long movie so I wanted to get it on a day when I was staying home.

I have my sheets in the washer. I may make muffins this afternoon. I have the edge finished on my library puzzle.

Have a good day.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

Jackie, is you stove gas? I am confused as to why a hot plate might be more efficient than the stove top. And a griddle rather than a griddle pan? Now I love my kitchen gadgets but I am limited on storage space.

I was up and on my way to the grocery store before 8 AM. Came home and put my stuff away. Keeping my carbs low yesterday showed up as 2 lbs on the scale this morning. Water, yes. Surprisingly, my blood sugar was high before bed last night.

I a couple of hours I am off to a bridal shower. The bride-to-be is my cousin's daughter and she is one month older than DS1. Then it is her aunt who is the cousin that organized the get-together for this evening to meet the Aunt's fiancé.

Maybe between I will swing into Sam's club for a few items.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

mbrudnic wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:09 am Good Morning,

Jackie, is you stove gas? I am confused as to why a hot plate might be more efficient than the stove top. And a griddle rather than a griddle pan? Now I love my kitchen gadgets but I am limited on storage space.

I was up and on my way to the grocery store before 8 AM. Came home and put my stuff away. Keeping my carbs low yesterday showed up as 2 lbs on the scale this morning. Water, yes. Surprisingly, my blood sugar was high before bed last night.

I a couple of hours I am off to a bridal shower. The bride-to-be is my cousin's daughter and she is one month older than DS1. Then it is her aunt who is the cousin that organized the get-together for this evening to meet the Aunt's fiancé.

Maybe between I will swing into Sam's club for a few items.

Have a great day,
Maggie
No my stove/oven is not gas, but because the voltage (220 rather than 110) used to heat the stove or oven it could be a bit less expensive to use the hotplate or griddle. Also when the sons are home a griddle would be handy in order to fry more eggs or cook more pancakes at once.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/