Daily Check In - 28 January 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In - 28 January 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

I am giving thought to purchasing a bread maker, a compact one since I am feeding just a couple of people, but will not do it until spring when our financial situation improves. The arthritis in my hands makes traditional bread making somewhat painful now. And the price of nice bread is getting out of sight.
Mackie
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I have washed my hair, stripped the bed and now sheets are in the dryer, mattress pad is in the washer. it was a fight to get the clean mattress pad onto the mattress. I am not washing the quilt this week. I still need to finish making the bed.

I have finished loading and set off the dishwasher.

All this before breakfast left me exhausted.

A granddaughter has Covid, she went to the ER last night because she couldn’t breath.

Breakfast was cold cereal, I have a lot I still want to do today.

Penny
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Hello all,

I slept until 8:30 and it was divine, I was up pretty late reading.

I have hauled in wood, taken care of my chickens and even put fresh bedding in the boxes for them. I have been watching an area in their pen, I have determined that there is a raccoon coming in the pen at night. I have alerted my son in law, he will trap it. Raccoons are lethal to chicken flocks.

I made a 1 cup recipe of buttermilk biscuits and have already eaten one with tomato preserves. :lol:

Jackie, I use a lot of electric countertop appliances in the kitchen, because my stove is propane and it is pricy to use it. Our kilowatt price has gone up from.08 to .12 but still cheaper to use the electric appliances.
DD uses an electric griddle for the same reasons, I have a hot plate, bought from an estate sale still in the box and never used. It is a Kenmore from Sears so I know it has some age on it because we haven't had a Sears in years. I will use it in the summer, in the cold weather I am so fortunate to have the wood stove to cook on. It is a life saver in the wintertime.
I would say the appliances I use the most are the roaster, toaster oven and crockpot. I have an electric cooker that is like a stew pot that can also be used as a french fryer.
My biggest issue is storage space for the appliances, but I would rather have that issue than having to pay for more propane. I have an electric pizza maker with the stone built into it and it is awesome when it is not in use it is stored under one of the guest beds LOL :roll:
It has thawed enough that the path to the chicken pen is slick and icy, I think I may have mentioned before but I truly dislike winter. :evil:
Off to do something , hopefully productive.
JCKitty
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:02 pm I am giving thought to purchasing a bread maker, a compact one since I am feeding just a couple of people, but will not do it until spring when our financial situation improves. The arthritis in my hands makes traditional bread making somewhat painful now. And the price of nice bread is getting out of sight.
Mackie, I don’t use a lot of bread but was surprised that regular Publix-brand whole wheat bread (nothing special) is now $2.99. Before the pandemic it was about $1.97 and it has been inching up but last time I bought it was $2.59. I need to go to Aldi but have been scared away by the resurgence of Covid but I wonder about their bread prices.

You mentioned the arthritis in your hands. I wondered why so many people use bread machines now a days instead of making bread “the old fashioned way.” I’ve never made bread (except beer bread in my youth) but mom always made it the old fashioned way when I was growing up. I don’t think that bread machines were common like now.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

itspennyc wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:26 pm I have washed my hair, stripped the bed and now sheets are in the dryer, mattress pad is in the washer. it was a fight to get the clean mattress pad onto the mattress. I am not washing the quilt this week. I still need to finish making the bed.

I have finished loading and set off the dishwasher.

All this before breakfast left me exhausted.

A granddaughter has Covid, she went to the ER last night because she couldn’t breath.

Breakfast was cold cereal, I have a lot I still want to do today.

Penny
So sorry to hear about your granddaughter. Hope she gets through this easily and quickly.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Penny, I hope that your granddaughter has a mild case of Covid but having to go to the ER is scary. Does she have asthma?

Kitty, I wonder if the raccoon got the chicken that you recently lost. I don’t think you saw any signs of an attack but what about disease?

I’ve remade my bed with the same sheets. I rarely do that but it worked out well.

I made my muffins and they look good! I used Krusteaz blueberry muffin mix bought B1G1. I have only seen it on sale B1G1 once since the pandemic.

The new library puzzle is hard so far.

The sun just came out finally. I think they’ll have a decent weather day for the Gasparilla parade later today.