Daily Check In - 28 January 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check In - 28 January 2023

Post by clemencia2us »

LogicsHere wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:36 pm I can remember when a loaf of bread was .17 and a quart of milk .20 and an ice cream cone .05.
There was a bread factory in San Antonio and they would print the price of the bread on the tail end of the bag. 25 cents is what I remember.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:02 pm I am giving thought to purchasing a bread maker, a compact one since I am feeding just a couple of people, but will not do it until spring when our financial situation improves. The arthritis in my hands makes traditional bread making somewhat painful now. And the price of nice bread is getting out of sight.
Since I broke my wrist the first time it has been near impossible for me to knead bread or bun dough. My bread maker has been a lifesaver. More so now that the price of bread has gotten so darn high.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

itspennyc wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:26 pm I have washed my hair, stripped the bed and now sheets are in the dryer, mattress pad is in the washer. it was a fight to get the clean mattress pad onto the mattress. I am not washing the quilt this week. I still need to finish making the bed.

I have finished loading and set off the dishwasher.

All this before breakfast left me exhausted.

A granddaughter has Covid, she went to the ER last night because she couldn’t breath.

Breakfast was cold cereal, I have a lot I still want to do today.

Penny
I hope your granddaughter has a very mild case.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Youngest brother phoned and talked to for almost 3/4 of an hour, the meat sauce has been made and packaged up, and now the pumpkin muffins are done. Next on the list is the ribs and if I am not too tired getting the ribs and sauce ready to go, I will make the cupcakes.... Or I might wait until tomorrow and make a cake in the toaster oven.

I got three containers of chicken bone stock made, 2 containers of chickpea curry, three containers of meat sauce and there will be enough ribs for us to have at least 2 suppers from.

I think I might have gotten Hubby a bit worried as the last time I sort of did this I had just gotten my operation lined up, and then was doing even more while I waited to get the results back from the cancer clinic.... He asked me if there was something I wasn't telling him. Silly man, I just want to be prepared for anything.

Off to get the ribs ready to go in the oven and the muffins cooled and individually wrapped and in the freezer.
Jackie
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Yes, the big electric griddles are great. Ex loved to use one to make pancakes. They are much easier. I am an egg girl. Pancakes and syrup never appealed to me, even before I recognized that donuts only for breakfast made me feel off.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:53 am I use a big old electric skillet to make pancakes. We have a gas stove, but I do not make them well in frying pans on the stove.

Good morning, everyone. I am not moving fast today. It's chilly but sunny. There are a few chores that need doing and I have deconstructed the waist of a pair of jeans to take them up. They are pull on style and too high-waisted for me, so it will be fairly simple. I am very short-waisted and sometimes just remove the original waistband and replace it with a skinny one to make it fit right.

There was a scheduling snafu with our friends meet-up, so we will be going out tonight instead.

Hope you all have a really good day. Happy Daze, I am glad you are feeling better.
I do miss my gas stove! I had a 2-burner cast iron griddle for it that made the best pancakes. Have fun tonight!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz