People "Feeling Poor" - a Rant

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: People "Feeling Poor" - a Rant

Post by SandiSAHM »

clemencia2us wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:07 pm I'm not married now, but the COD is a big spender. But we do not have anything "together". He does his thing and I do mine.

I don't know why he likes to just buy and buy. He probably right now has 3 vehicles he is still paying on. He just likes buying them.

He brings in decent money. Just his VA pension is almost 4K a month, then he has his civil service pay - almost 30 years with the Feds, and then SS. So I just look away. I have my own funds - so he can do whatever. LOL. Thank goodness we never got married. And I will never get married again!
Ex was weird. Needed a big house (since when do 2 people need nearly 3000 sq ft?), needed a pool table, fantastic sound system, and then when I tried to leave him with all of it and just take my $ and go, he didn't want any of it, or the responsibility for taking care of any of it. The only things he ended up with were a portion of his 401(k)s, all his debt, and his car. He tried to split savings up a little slanted, my lawyer told his to teach him math :lol:, and then I ended up with some of his retirement stuff turned over to me. The rest of his stuff, including that dumb house, I sold after the legal proceedings were over.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:11 pm Ex was weird. Needed a big house (since when do 2 people need nearly 3000 sq ft?), needed a pool table, fantastic sound system, and then when I tried to leave him with all of it and just take my $ and go, he didn't want any of it, or the responsibility for taking care of any of it. The only things he ended up with were a portion of his 401(k)s, all his debt, and his car. He tried to split savings up a little slanted, my lawyer told his to teach him math :lol:, and then I ended up with some of his retirement stuff turned over to me. The rest of his stuff, including that dumb house, I sold after the legal proceedings were over.
Lol, I moved out first because the house needed a little bit or work that he could do himself but I could not. He did invite me to take what I wanted. I was nice to him. I was able to maintain all of my retirement funds and get a small amount of cash form him. I should hope so since I supported his Arse when he went for his bachelor's fill time.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

My late husband wanted what he wanted when he wanted it. We always had too much debt.

When I wanted a sewing machine. I couldn’t afford it. I put it on layaway. This is the sewing machine that I gave him for Father’s Day.

When I chose my washer it was the least expensive machine that had the features I wanted.

That is what I usually do.

I have No debit, my bills are electric, internet, cable, renters insurance, and the local newspaper.

My KitchenAid mixer is about 25 years old now. I have Keurig coffee maker a present from my son, he pays for the K-Cups.

My cookie gun is more than 55 years old, it is all aluminum and still works perfectly.

My TV is at least 6-8 years old. It is a small one but it works.

Penny
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

itspennyc wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:10 pm My late husband wanted what he wanted when he wanted it. We always had too much debt.

When I wanted a sewing machine. I couldn’t afford it. I put it on layaway. This is the sewing machine that I gave him for Father’s Day.

When I chose my washer it was the least expensive machine that had the features I wanted.

That is what I usually do.

I have No debit, my bills are electric, internet, cable, renters insurance, and the local newspaper.

My KitchenAid mixer is about 25 years old now. I have Keurig coffee maker a present from my son, he pays for the K-Cups.

My cookie gun is more than 55 years old, it is all aluminum and still works perfectly.

My TV is at least 6-8 years old. It is a small one but it works.

Penny
[/quote

Penny I love that your son gifted you the Keurig and pays for your K-Cups - that is such a nice and thoughtful gift that keeps on giving!

Oh MY Gosh, did you really gift your husband a sewing machine for Father's Day?

I have a KitchenAid that is in it's 20's too. I have had to relocate it to a corner of a counter because it is too hard for me to lift in and out of a cupboard every time I want to use it.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I ran across a YouTube video about this subject - CNBC

wonder if it is the same one.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCQiywN7pH4&t=383s