People "Feeling Poor" - a Rant

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: People "Feeling Poor" - a Rant

Post by clemencia2us »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:21 pm We need a support group, lol. My ex had a stack of credit cards about 4 inches tall, held together with one of those big huge rubber bands - I PROMISE you this is 100% the truth - and he had a big chart with all the account numbers and balances and what balance he moved to where - and when the balance transfer offer expired - and it was pure INSANITY.

In our case, he was giving all our money away (and not to the right people or places) because "the Lord told him to" - and we were living on credit. He was also paying all the bills of his second son from his first marriage - including their HOUSE - and did I mention we were LIVING on CREDIT???

He started opening credit cards in my name - he would make me get on the phone with people and open them - I think there were 4 when I said NEVER AGAIN - NO MORE. As part of our divorce settlement he had to pay those off in full and the accounts were closed (yes I know that made my credit score go down, I did not care).

Also, I "got nothing" but I was LUCKY to "get nothing" because he got ALL the debt - about $200,000 of it. Walking away with "nothing" was absolutely my pleasure!!!

He once told me that when his former brother-in-law introduced him to credit cards, it was "the best thing that every happened to him." Like you said, I'm glad it isn't my problem anymore!!!
Way back then there was some people telling others to get as many credit cards as possible. Think it was called credit card churning?
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

I am pretty sure theses "ex's" were from a litter of octuplets.
Because it describes mine to a T!!!!
I also followed Dave Ramseys early teaching but it was stuff I had already figured out. I reached my limit with the ex when I paid a CC bill for flowers that he bought his Side-piece...yes we were separated, but he still had a CC, mine but he was a signer. That was the first thing for the judge to take away from him, but I still had to pay it because it was in my name.

I personally think that the attitude of "treating yourself" is a problem. If you have the money, buy it. IF you have to put it on credit because you deserve a "treat" ....you probably don't....just my opinion.
I used to have friends come to me to help them with their budget, and I would but as soon as they would get caught up, they would go right back to their old ways.

I have had debt and I have paid it off and it took sacrifices. It also caused me to have trust issues.
JCKitty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I read some of the frugal sub Reddits, and there was a guy on there churning 30 credit card accounts. It made me feel faint to even think about it.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:20 pm I read some of the frugal sub Reddits, and there was a guy on there churning 30 credit card accounts. It made me feel faint to even think about it.
I used to read forums on Reddit - need to get back on there.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Sounds like most of us married to one of the octuplets lucked out in court - decent judges! I know my lawyer was sharp (she's a judge now), too, she left no stone unturned with the ex.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:40 pm Sounds like most of us married to one of the octuplets lucked out in court - decent judges! I know my lawyer was sharp (she's a judge now), too, she left no stone unturned with the ex.
I'm not married now, but the COD is a big spender. But we do not have anything "together". He does his thing and I do mine.

I don't know why he likes to just buy and buy. He probably right now has 3 vehicles he is still paying on. He just likes buying them.

He brings in decent money. Just his VA pension is almost 4K a month, then he has his civil service pay - almost 30 years with the Feds, and then SS. So I just look away. I have my own funds - so he can do whatever. LOL. Thank goodness we never got married. And I will never get married again!