Daily Check-in January 30, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Daily Check-in January 30, 2023

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

It's supposed to reach the mid to high 40s today with some sun on and off throughout the day.

I have my Monday morning chat and my coloring group today. I also want to stop at the bank and take out my money for February. I'm in the middle of my Monday morning routine. I'm almost finished with my exercising and then I have the bathroom to clean.

I've been reading the posts on the wealthy feeling poor. It just seems that whatever money you make you spend on things that you think are representative of your income . . . you shoot for the higher priced homes with the cathedral ceilings, the Persian rugs, the more expensive cars, etc. Shame on them. Their combined $400,000 would insure that both my sister and I had a roof over our head for the rest of our lives and they can't even make some of it last past their paycheck.

Tonight's dinner is pancakes and a slice of bacon.

Well that's all for now. Have a great day.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check-in January 30, 2023

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I actually have coffee in hand this morning, noticed the thread was started and I didn't need to rush.

Well the deep freeze has arrived, you know that one that settled over Siberia for weeks on end. It slowly made it's way to the prairies of Canada, and now is sitting over my province. Hope it isn't stationary here for long. The temperature here right now is -30C (-22F) with the windchill making it feel like -42C (-44F). It should start moving on by late tomorrow and be just below seasonal on Wednesday when I want to go shopping. We shall see.

You can all guess what I am going to be doing today.... Staying nice and warm and getting things done in the house. I may even do some baking in an effort to feel warmer. I did take the butter out to soften and pulled a package of frozen rhubarb from the fridge freezer to make a cake (will be making a few other items as well).

Of course there are the usual household tasks. Todays list includes putting away the clean dishes, dusting, laundry, vacuuming, deep cleaning the bathroom, deep cleaning the kitchen sinks and counter, cleaning the bedrooms, cleaning the drawers in the fridge, and braving the outdoors for just a few moments to put out the garbage bin. Lots of time to bake in between tasks I hope. Could be another day of the old homestead smelling wonderful.

As I walked by the door we always use last night I noticed a very cold breeze along the floor. This is a first for this year and I think it is because the weather stripping along the bottom of the door is coming off. Grabbed the draught dodger and put it there. I need to make a bit wider one for youngest DS as the one I made for his side door is not working very well. I will do that and the prototype face warming pack at some time this week as a rest from knitting. He did say that the other two are perfect.

Frugally no money will be spent (I love the number of no spend days I am having), no fuel will be used and I will be continuing with the using up of items in the pantry, freezers and fridge. It will be a win-win day here on the old homestead. Noticed we are running a bit low on sandwich meat so I will pull the small ham I have in the fridge freezer and once thawed will get out the slicer and slice it up for that purpose.

Supper tonight will be the ribs warmed up and served over rice. I think I will make some peas to go along with the meal. Dessert will be either rhubarb cake, dried cherry muffins, or perhaps a cinnamon bun (that is what I plan on baking hopefully).

Today I am grateful for food on my table and a roof over my head on days like to day. I also pray that the homeless are able to find shelter and protection.

Now off to get started on my day's tasks. Talk to you all again later.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning, frugal friends. It's gray and soggy but not cold this morning. Supposed to be that way today with added rain, which just started.

DH has gone into the office for mandatory work out of the office Monday. DS's work had a late start this morning, so he just left. Now it's me and the pups. At lunchtime today the oldest dog has a vet appointment for her checkup. I am taking her by myself and hope she does not nip me. She's a grumpy girl and flashes her teeth when she doesn't want to do something.

Got regular Monday chores this morning. This afternoon I may put all that tough beef on the stove to simmer and then grind it up tomorrow for the dogs' homemade food.

Coffee's all gone. Gotta get moving. Hope you all have a good day.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I slept OK after taking half a Simply Sleep in the night. I cut it with my pill cutter. I noticed that these pills expired in April 2012 but they are still powerful enough to make me sleep. I probably have enough to last me until the end of my life.

It is a sunny, warm day and will be in the mid-70s. I plan to go to mom’s house and do something.

More weirdness with the U.S. Post Office. Neighbor who is on our HOA board stopped by and showed me that all the envelopes from the HOA to owners here had been returned as undeliverable. My bank sent me an email saying that it is IMPORTANT that I update my mailing address because mail is undeliverable. These are two of the five envelopes that I didn’t get a week ago today. Hopefully it was a temporary Post Office glitch. I’m thankful I got my pension tax statement a few days ago.

Talking with friend yesterday, she said it feels like so many systems in the U.S. (and elsewhere) are falling apart - police, health care, Post Office, transportation - and I agree. Even trash pickup is changing. I found out that the county mobile chemical and electronics collections (periodically at high school parking lots) no longer will take any electronics. For the chemicals they are requiring an ID that shows someone is a county resident.

I was sorry that the Bengals lost. I’ll now be supporting the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

Have a good day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

LogicsHere wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:24 am Good morning all.

It's supposed to reach the mid to high 40s today with some sun on and off throughout the day.

I have my Monday morning chat and my coloring group today. I also want to stop at the bank and take out my money for February. I'm in the middle of my Monday morning routine. I'm almost finished with my exercising and then I have the bathroom to clean.

I've been reading the posts on the wealthy feeling poor. It just seems that whatever money you make you spend on things that you think are representative of your income . . . you shoot for the higher priced homes with the cathedral ceilings, the Persian rugs, the more expensive cars, etc. Shame on them. Their combined $400,000 would insure that both my sister and I had a roof over our head for the rest of our lives and they can't even make some of it last past their paycheck.

Tonight's dinner is pancakes and a slice of bacon.

Well that's all for now. Have a great day.
I was not able to read the WP article since they won’t let me read anything since I cancelled my subscription. But this is why I was totally against giving the expanded child tax credit, at least in part, to families making up to $400k a year. No. Government support should not go to people making that kind of income.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Good morning all. Dont know if my frieds down south will get this in the next couple days or not but we are on the Texas version of a winter alert and ice on the streets and walks until Wednesday so I will be going nowhere.

I have an appointment for my annual eye exam on Wednesday but I will cancel it. Should be a no spend three days unless I direly need a delivery. There is one exception-its only January but I am pretty sure I have found the dress for my nephew's wedding. Im going to let it simmer for awhile and then if though its only february I will grab it. I like bright colors and this is bright ruffled maxi dress.

Ill obviously be exercising inside only for the next 3 days. Did my morning wake up ten minute walk around the house earlier. Im also about to kick up the heat a teeny bit. Hey it's 26 degrees with is far from the norm for texas except for a few days in the Febrary area.

I have a few household things to do this morning after I eat ( I may settle for belvita breakfast here or something, we shall see) and have my morning computer time. I also want to work online for at least an hour.

Then I plan to paint a valentine canvas to add to my wall decor, and settle down with some sewing and later some knitting. Not sure what else is in my future.

I did buy a large pack of bone in chicken thighs and will throw them in the slo cooker on high at some point to make brown sugar garlic thighs.