Wall Street Journal on consumer worries

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Wall Street Journal on consumer worries

Post by MackerelCat »

That is so true, Clem. We pretty quickly learned to get by without all kinds of things.
Mackie
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Another thing we learned during the "lost" year (and 3/4...) - eating out is a waste of time and money. At least for us, there's nothing we can buy "out" that we can't do as well or better at home EXCEPT the food available at a certain Indian restaurant, and while we love them (the owner remembers when we only had 1 kid, LOL), they've gotten so expensive we decided to only go every 3-4 months.

Ever since DS's culinary arts class forced him to learn the art of cheesecake, even the Cheesecake Factory is a dud.

Outside of that, there's really nothing we need. Presently everything we have is functional, by the grace of God, and there's nothing we want.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

clemencia2us wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:41 pm And also we got used to not buying things due to the shortage or store closures during Covid. And then realized - hey we didn't need all that stuff!
That is so true!
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I pay 3% extra on every item I buy, a $5 delivery charge, plus a tip.

I still come out ahead as I am not tempted by items not on my list or plan. Most items on my list are rarely on sale nor do they have coupons. I don't see the cute this or useful item neither item I need.

I treat myself to a steak dinner or other nice dinner about once a week. With a steak I get two meals

Penny
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

itspennyc wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:55 pm I pay 3% extra on every item I buy, a $5 delivery charge, plus a tip.

I still come out ahead as I am not tempted by items not on my list or plan. Most items on my list are rarely on sale nor do they have coupons. I don't see the cute this or useful item neither item I need.

I treat myself to a steak dinner or other nice dinner about once a week. With a steak I get two meals

Penny
My grocery bill went way down when I stopped going to HEB. Too many tempting things, so you just start tossing things in the cart.

Here at the small local IGA - I get what I need. And they have what I need.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

If anyone is interested, WSJ does a podcast, The Journal. (Well, one of many podcasts) Anyway, today's was tied to this particular story. Interesting interview ... and I about choked when the fellow they were interviewing said bananas were $1.50 a pound where he lives.

https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/the-journal/consumers-are-starting-to-freak-out/6D4ECA34-BF91-449B-994A-8A7BB230127F