Wall Street Journal on consumer worries

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Wall Street Journal on consumer worries

Post by HappyDaze »

LWolfT wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:19 pm If anyone is interested, WSJ does a podcast, The Journal. (Well, one of many podcasts) Anyway, today's was tied to this particular story. Interesting interview ... and I about choked when the fellow they were interviewing said bananas were $1.50 a pound where he lives.

https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/the-journal/consumers-are-starting-to-freak-out/6D4ECA34-BF91-449B-994A-8A7BB230127F
That is so sad. Me, I hate bananas - but I know they are a "cheap" staple for a lot of families with kids. Even when my kids were little, a banana could be part of any of the 3 daily meals or a snack.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

LWolfT wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:19 pm If anyone is interested, WSJ does a podcast, The Journal. (Well, one of many podcasts) Anyway, today's was tied to this particular story. Interesting interview ... and I about choked when the fellow they were interviewing said bananas were $1.50 a pound where he lives.

https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/the-journal/consumers-are-starting-to-freak-out/6D4ECA34-BF91-449B-994A-8A7BB230127F
Thanks for posting this podcast! I listened to it. $100k a year in southern Minnesota, no kids and he and his partner are struggling. No savings (but didn’t say if he has a 401k.) The interviewer ended by saying, “I’m sorry for the situation you’re in.”

I must live in a different world and have lived in a different world all my life. I’ll leave it at that.

Just have to add - and I know that many will disagree - is that I don’t buy into the woe is me feeling on the economy at all.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:11 pm That is so sad. Me, I hate bananas - but I know they are a "cheap" staple for a lot of families with kids. Even when my kids were little, a banana could be part of any of the 3 daily meals or a snack.
Bananas are not $1.50/pound unless someone shops at Whole Foods or the farmer’s market. I don’t buy bananas any more but even at Publix they are .69/pound. In my recent Save A Lot coupon strip there is one for bananas at .39/pound.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:28 pm Bananas are not $1.50/pound unless someone shops at Whole Foods or the farmer’s market. I don’t buy bananas any more but even at Publix they are .69/pound. In my recent Save A Lot coupon strip there is one for bananas at .39/pound.
My last bananas were bought using a store coupon where you could get up to 4 pounds free. I got over four and a half pounds and they didn't charge me anything for them.

I usually say that free food tastes better - not the case with bananas, lol.

I won't get them again unless they are in fact FREE and I will only consume them in a smoothie. I am probably irritating everyone with my tirades about how much I hate bananas - but I hate them THAT much.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I am the only person in my household who eats bananas, and I do well to get through half of one a day on cereal.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:48 pm I am the only person in my household who eats bananas, and I do well to get through half of one a day on cereal.
We always have bananas on hand. :D