Daily Check In February 3, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In February 3, 2023

Post by Jackielou »

Getting coffee, back soon.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LogicsHere

Re: Daily Check In February 3, 2023

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Today is going to be the first day of the bitterly cold spurt for the week. I have to do laundry today so I will be out in it for a short while. I'll put a sweater on under my jacket and use a mask to help keep my face warm.

Mackie, I see you doing so much for Lily Dog and it's so loving. You're so patient with her. All of you pet owners are so wonderful with them.

Florida, I listen to you talk about all the yard work that you (and all you homeowners) do around your mom's house. I would not have made a good home owner as I can't picture myself going out to cut grass, trim bushes, rake leaves, shovel snow, etc. I would have had to pay someone to do that kind of work for me which is why I'm happy in my co-op apartment. Grounds work is something I don't have to think about. It's not my cup of "tea".

My niece was about to do her taxes last weekend when she discovered that due to a modified W-4 form created by the hospital where she works, she made a mistake and no taxes were taken out of her pay for the entire year. I feel sorry for her in one way but not in another. She sits there and cries woe is me but when her hours were cut from 5 days to 4, she has 1 full day where she is free to get another job to make up for the loss. Loss of that 1 day a week is like getting a $2 an hour salary cut for 40 hours. My sister and I have both told her this and told her its time to do what she has to do, but nope. She wants her 3 days off . . . she's too good to work 5 days a week like the majority of us have done and do. Shame on her. She's got 2 credit cards maxed out that she's got to pay for, a car payment and now taxes to pay but she will do nothing to help herself. Lazy.

I think I had mentioned a while back that my sister had told me that she had asked her mother if I was jealous of her because she was able to make more money than me. I was hurt and insulted at the same time because I've never been jealous of anyone. I think it's ironic however because with my niece's attitude she'll never even come close to what I was earning when I stopped working unless her attitude changes.

My sister keeps telling me "she's trying"; well the last time she said that to me I told her no, she isn't because she could work that extra day and not be struggling. If my sister didn't have her IBS as bad as she did, she'd be working right now and if I found myself in a similar situation as my niece (not that I ever was) I also would have taken a second job to get myself out of it. I would never have cried and begged so that my parents paid my way which is why my sister is in the position she's in. So, no she isn't trying at all.

Well, today will be another come as it may day.

I'll make a pork chop and some vegetables for dinner.

Well that's all for today, Have a nice day.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I am wondering if my upset tummy wasn't a precursor to something else. I woke up this morning very stuffed up and with a tickle in my throat. Here is hoping I do not have a re-occurrence of my dang cold.

And it is warming up nicely. Lovely temps coming this weekend and I really would like to take advantage of them and not be nursing myself through another bout of some type of illness.

As the tummy seems to have settled and I do feel better I hope to get some more work done around the house. Today's task list includes but is not limited to dusting, vacuuming, tidy the living room, put the clean dishes away, some extra cleaning, and baking bread. Not a lot, but who knows what extra cleaning tasks I decide to tackle today. I may choose to do a series of the smaller tasks like disinfecting all the door knobs and washing down the doors, I have a few like that.

Then this afternoon I will finish off Mindhunter on Netflix while I am doing a bit of sewing. Evenings are for knitting curled up in my chair. So there is most of my day planned. If I get tired I will have a nap on the couch.

Frugally no money will be spent so this will be the second such day this month. I hope to go all of next week not spending as well, other than on bills which are have to spend. I will be finding a basket to put my mending in, I seem to be collecting a great deal that will need to be done this coming Tuesday. Not complaining as so far there are no socks needing to be darned. Just seams, hems and patches. Extending the life of what we have.

I should be finished the shawl/blanket by the middle to end of next week and I have already pulled yarn from my stash to knit myself a sweater. Pattern is very easy so hopefully it knits up quickly and I can start the second project I pulled yarn for.

Supper tonight is going to be soup and sandwiches. I have some jars to take downstairs so will grab the soup from the freezer. Sandwiches will probably be salmon as I have lots of tinned salmon to go through.

Today I am grateful for flashlights as the darn light in the chest freezer quit working once again.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning, Frugal Friends.

We got slammed with a heavy, wet snow overnight. Not too much accumulation. It is frightfully cold - I have sat here all morning in my warm pajamas, robe, socks, with a blanket wrapped around my legs. When I have taken the dogs out, the blanket has come with me.

I have to get ready for work - I have sat here too long this morning - one of the perks of living just a mile from work is that I can!

Today I am thankful that I have safe and dependable transportation and don't have to walk to work in the bitter cold like last winter.

Have a Fabulous, Frugal Friday, Friends!!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

LogicsHere wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:57 am Good morning all.

Today is going to be the first day of the bitterly cold spurt for the week. I have to do laundry today so I will be out in it for a short while. I'll put a sweater on under my jacket and use a mask to help keep my face warm.

Mackie, I see you doing so much for Lily Dog and it's so loving. You're so patient with her. All of you pet owners are so wonderful with them.

Florida, I listen to you talk about all the yard work that you (and all you homeowners) do around your mom's house. I would not have made a good home owner as I can't picture myself going out to cut grass, trim bushes, rake leaves, shovel snow, etc. I would have had to pay someone to do that kind of work for me which is why I'm happy in my co-op apartment. Grounds work is something I don't have to think about. It's not my cup of "tea".

My niece was about to do her taxes last weekend when she discovered that due to a modified W-4 form created by the hospital where she works, she made a mistake and no taxes were taken out of her pay for the entire year. I feel sorry for her in one way but not in another. She sits there and cries woe is me but when her hours were cut from 5 days to 4, she has 1 full day where she is free to get another job to make up for the loss. Loss of that 1 day a week is like getting a $2 an hour salary cut for 40 hours. My sister and I have both told her this and told her its time to do what she has to do, but nope. She wants her 3 days off . . . she's too good to work 5 days a week like the majority of us have done and do. Shame on her. She's got 2 credit cards maxed out that she's got to pay for, a car payment and now taxes to pay but she will do nothing to help herself. Lazy.

I think I had mentioned a while back that my sister had told me that she had asked her mother if I was jealous of her because she was able to make more money than me. I was hurt and insulted at the same time because I've never been jealous of anyone. I think it's ironic however because with my niece's attitude she'll never even come close to what I was earning when I stopped working unless her attitude changes.

My sister keeps telling me "she's trying"; well the last time she said that to me I told her no, she isn't because she could work that extra day and not be struggling. If my sister didn't have her IBS as bad as she did, she'd be working right now and if I found myself in a similar situation as my niece (not that I ever was) I also would have taken a second job to get myself out of it. I would never have cried and begged so that my parents paid my way which is why my sister is in the position she's in. So, no she isn't trying at all.

Well, today will be another come as it may day.

I'll make a pork chop and some vegetables for dinner.

Well that's all for today, Have a nice day.
Logics, for the most part I enjoy working in the yard. I got exhausted yesterday (and often) but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Mackie once said that working in the yard was my therapy and that is so true. If I’m feeling low, working in the yard makes me feel better. Still, I’m very happy I’ve hired someone to cut the grass. He does a much better job because he edges and weed wacks. And while I never minded grass cutting, it is nice to not have to do it in the brutal summer heat.

Something does not sound right about a hospital not taking out your niece’s taxes for an entire year. Let her make arrangements with the IRS to pay the taxes in installments.

Stay safe in the bitter cold and wind that NY and New England will feel in the next few days!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Jackie, Sheila and Sandi, I hope you feel better today. Hope Lily Dog has a good day, too.

I slept well. Today is my shingles shot and my appointment is at 10. We are supposed to have rain and thunderstorms from 10-12 unfortunately. I don’t mind the rain but lightning scares me. I’ll park as close to Publix as possible. (Since I got the Fitbit I’ve been mostly parking at the far end of the parking lot.) If the weather is too bad to go to mom’s house to put the trash can back in the garage, I’ll go later.

The new Tom Hanks movie, A Man Called Otto, is a remake of a Swedish film, A Man Called Ove. I had the Swedish film in my Amazon Prime watchlist because I’d read good things. I watched it last night (with subtitles) and enjoyed it. It was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. A cat has a small role in the film.

I’m almost finished my puzzle and will probably finish it today.

Have a good day.