Daily Check In February 3, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In February 3, 2023

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:50 pm I keep procrastinating on mopping, but did get my sewing projects done while avoiding it. :-D Once I got started, it was easy to take up the too loose jeans. They fit great now: no more saggy seat.

It's quite chilly today, but the grass in the back yard is coming back and is vivid green. It's so nice to see some color.
I keep procrastinating on baking cookies.... Perhaps tomorrow morning.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

mbrudnic wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:33 pm Sounds like an Irish chain pattern. That is the first several quilts I made.
Tis a fractured nine patch. Sew 9 five inch squares together cut in the middle, cut in the middle (thank heavens for rotating cutting mats) and you have four seven inch blocks all different. I might decide to get a nother set so that I can just have sashing and not a full 7 inch yellow/gold block between each theyll be on point. I've done it with nine ten inch blocks (or any size) as well but you really need to clean off your cutting table there.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:26 pm Be careful. There still might be ice.
And there was. Especially in my north facing entrance (its great to face north in texas ten months of the year, ya know?) So I walked around the actuall parking lot itself which is all in sun and hung onto my walker. Then I took a brief drive and re-parked away from my unit at the end of the building where it is sunny and all was clear.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Quilter51 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:24 pm Tis a fractured nine patch. Sew 9 five inch squares together cut in the middle, cut in the middle (thank heavens for rotating cutting mats) and you have four seven inch blocks all different. I might decide to get a nother set so that I can just have sashing and not a full 7 inch yellow/gold block between each theyll be on point. I've done it with nine ten inch blocks (or any size) as well but you really need to clean off your cutting table there.
Some people call this a disappearing nine patch. Disappearing Nine Patch quilts are designed by arranging and sewing together nine squares to create a traditional nine patch quilt block. But instead of leaving the block as-is it is sliced into four equal sections to create the disappearing design. I like the name fractured nine patch a bit better.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Well another day is almost done and I have just done the bare minimum, just what I had written on my daily to do list. Two days in a row of being a sloth!!! I think that could be a record.

I decided that I wanted to get more of my knitting done so I have been concentrating on that. Still it is moving slowly and since the shawl/blanket is getting so large I have to rest my wrist every so often.

I did get out for a short walk. The sun felt awesome on my face and the fresh air cleared my sinuses. A big plus in my books.

I was told that one of the second hand stores had some new winter jackets (tag still on) and I think I will make a trip early tomorrow to see if there is one I could use. My other jacket is 5 years old and the zipper could go at anytime. I will check what prices they are selling them for. If it works out to be less expensive than putting a new zipper in the coat I have, I will purchase one. Still buying from a second hand store will be withing my challenge guidelines.

I had a bit of a scare a few days ago. One of the wacko's that our oldest reports on was saying they got a nasty email from someone here. They hinted it was from us, so I have been busy locking down all my social media platforms that are known about. Eldest even has had some hackers checking on what I should do. There was only one thing they recommended me doing and I did that last night. I also think I will be adding a VPN to my computer in order to confuse things further. Hopefully I don't get emails or nasty posts on my Facebook or real life things in the mail. Needless to say neither Hubby or I sent that email and neither did oldest son.
Jackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I never knew how the disappearing nine-patch got its name. That is fascinating.

The mopping is done. I kept putting it off because because it's never just mopping. I wound up vacuuming the back porch, scrubbing the master bath, and dustmopping the laminate floors while at it. Also took a brush and cleaned the pet bed Dora Kitty likes to lie on, getting up enough silvery fluff to knit a kitten.
Mackie