Daily Check In February 5, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In February 5, 2023

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:48 am Good morning friends.

Sheila, I’m glad that your mom is home from the hospital.

I slept well. It is a sunny, warm day here in the 70s but we might get rain.

I plan to do my taxes today. I gathered all the statements yesterday and roughed it out on paper using the IRS forms. I’ll file using the IRS free file but unfortunately I don’t qualify this year for the tax prep company I used last year. I only qualify for one company so that will be the one I’ll use. I recently read that only a very small percentage of taxpayers who qualify for the IRS free file use it. I think a lot of people go to one of the storefront tax prep places and pay to have their taxes done when it would be so easy to do them themselves. I actually have a few small tax complications but I’m not going to pay when I can do it myself.

I’ve started sorting my birthday puzzle and will continue with that. I’ve also started watching another Amazon Prime 3-part show, A Very British Scandal with Claire Foy. And then I’m halfway through my book, Skyway. So it will be a nice day.

Have a good day.
A Very British Scandal was very good I thought.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:48 am Good morning friends.

Sheila, I’m glad that your mom is home from the hospital.

I slept well. It is a sunny, warm day here in the 70s but we might get rain.

I plan to do my taxes today. I gathered all the statements yesterday and roughed it out on paper using the IRS forms. I’ll file using the IRS free file but unfortunately I don’t qualify this year for the tax prep company I used last year. I only qualify for one company so that will be the one I’ll use. I recently read that only a very small percentage of taxpayers who qualify for the IRS free file use it. I think a lot of people go to one of the storefront tax prep places and pay to have their taxes done when it would be so easy to do them themselves. I actually have a few small tax complications but I’m not going to pay when I can do it myself.

I’ve started sorting my birthday puzzle and will continue with that. I’ve also started watching another Amazon Prime 3-part show, A Very British Scandal with Claire Foy. And then I’m halfway through my book, Skyway. So it will be a nice day.

Have a good day.
Floridacat, last week I spoke with a coworker who lives on social security and works just 12 hours per week. She was charged $250 to get her taxes done!!! That just about broke my heart.

I spoke with our CEO about bringing back the volunteer tax prep program I used to manage at work - she gets the need for it but the liability is just too high for us to take a lead role in the program. I even asked about "keeping it very small" and having just me do simple tax returns for coworkers - she said we can't do it. I understand why we can't - but it is so sad how people get ripped off.

I have been telling people to check the IRS website for links to free tax software or free tax assistance. Also - FreeTaxUSA will efile your federal return for free and your state return for $14.95.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

The sun is out! DD and her SO brought me a muffin and they are getting ready to go get cat food and take it to my parents.

I think we have our ducks in a row - we figure the cat food will cost approximately what the kiddos owe me for electric and water for this time. So - the kiddos are just going to buy the cat food - and we won't worry about any price difference either way - it won't amount to much.

My parents will be told that the cat food is a gift - they will ask about paying but I know they don't have the funds, just like they did not have the funds for their medicine a couple weeks ago. If they had money for it, they would have sent my sister to the store to get it.

I hear birds singing - makes me happy. I am going to rest in bed while the kiddos are gone - do a couple of crossword puzzles or read.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:30 am Floridacat, last week I spoke with a coworker who lives on social security and works just 12 hours per week. She was charged $250 to get her taxes done!!! That just about broke my heart.

I spoke with our CEO about bringing back the volunteer tax prep program I used to manage at work - she gets the need for it but the liability is just too high for us to take a lead role in the program. I even asked about "keeping it very small" and having just me do simple tax returns for coworkers - she said we can't do it. I understand why we can't - but it is so sad how people get ripped off.

I have been telling people to check the IRS website for links to free tax software or free tax assistance. Also - FreeTaxUSA will efile your federal return for free and your state return for $14.95.
The prices the tax prep places charge are outrageous. Some people do it to get their refund immediately (really a loan) and they pay even more for that service. I saw a sign for the advance refunds just the other day while driving. Last year when I used the IRS free file I got my refund in only about a week so there is no need to pay for an advance.

I was a volunteer AARP tax preparer when I first retired but I got bored because we had so few customers at my location. I don’t know if the AARP program is still operating.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Sheila again, glad to hear mom is home

I am worrying a bit about my own tax sitiaon, I normally do free file or do it myself but know that I have more than 600 dollars this year in hobby income through paypal. While I know paypal isnt required to send anyting out until next year, I need to figure out how best to declare it so I will be looking for volunteers (and then decide if it's worth doing in the future)

Going to the store and doign saturday errands and visiting with my sister and a couple other things kept me from anything constructive last evening and got me very late to bed. Starting to day my plan is to be in bed at eight thirty with no tech and decompress or knit or whatever for an hour before sleeping. So I will ge the to do things done earlier in the day and have the kitchen cleaned up before Jeopardy.

This morning it is sunny and I will be going to church and coffee hour but not Sunday school before. Once I get home I will do a quick pickup like making my bed and then the day is fully mine. Sewing, knitting, a new book, the ny york time cross word, and walking ar all available so I will be well self entertained. Both lunch and dinner are freezer leftovers (the last chili, I will need to make more, and meatball casserole) and they will be mainly eaten in the frozen divide dish with whatever sides so a non working Sunday.

Off to shower and eat sometihing before I head to church, have a good day.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning

Nice and sunny out there. It did start out foggy. We are at 50 degrees and are supposed to get to 76!

Again I had to take Silent Pup out about 5 this morning. Looks like he has me trained now. But the rest went out too. I stayed out there with them until they were done. Less than 10 minutes. Still chilly and they love their warm beds. We all fell back asleep. They are still asleep, but I was craving coffee!

I see all these folks already out and about to church and breakfast. My brother sent a pic of what he is having - but does he bring me any? nO- :mrgreen:

So now I am hungry. I will be doing a fridge clean-out today. Well at least one fridge for sure.

So many squirrels out in the yard.

Hope all have a great day.