Daily Check In February 5, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal2

Re: Daily Check In February 5, 2023

Post by icfrugal2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:48 am Good morning friends.

Sheila, I’m glad that your mom is home from the hospital.

I slept well. It is a sunny, warm day here in the 70s but we might get rain.

I plan to do my taxes today. I gathered all the statements yesterday and roughed it out on paper using the IRS forms. I’ll file using the IRS free file but unfortunately I don’t qualify this year for the tax prep company I used last year. I only qualify for one company so that will be the one I’ll use. I recently read that only a very small percentage of taxpayers who qualify for the IRS free file use it. I think a lot of people go to one of the storefront tax prep places and pay to have their taxes done when it would be so easy to do them themselves. I actually have a few small tax complications but I’m not going to pay when I can do it myself.

I’ve started sorting my birthday puzzle and will continue with that. I’ve also started watching another Amazon Prime 3-part show, A Very British Scandal with Claire Foy. And then I’m halfway through my book, Skyway. So it will be a nice day.

Have a good day.
My mother was doing her taxes into her 80s, and these were "paper" taxes before tax programs.

She also volunteered at the senior center to help seniors with their taxes.

I studied accounting and I enjoy doing taxes, I do love tax programs and I use those.

When DH and first got together in int 1980's I did his business taxes, payroll ect.

2022 taxes are almost done.

IC
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:30 am Floridacat, last week I spoke with a coworker who lives on social security and works just 12 hours per week. She was charged $250 to get her taxes done!!! That just about broke my heart.

I spoke with our CEO about bringing back the volunteer tax prep program I used to manage at work - she gets the need for it but the liability is just too high for us to take a lead role in the program. I even asked about "keeping it very small" and having just me do simple tax returns for coworkers - she said we can't do it. I understand why we can't - but it is so sad how people get ripped off.

I have been telling people to check the IRS website for links to free tax software or free tax assistance. Also - FreeTaxUSA will efile your federal return for free and your state return for $14.95.
Isn't it so sad that people can't help people out because of liability, !!

not that DH and would, but that is one reason why we would never rent out a room in our home. It would be impossible to get them out.

I don't know how to word it, but it makes life so much harder when we can't help people.

IC
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

mbrudnic wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:45 am Good Morning,
I have been pretty productive so far this AM. I got up, stripped the bed and threw them in the washer. I was able to move them to the dryer before Mass. I attended Mass, bought only the usual coffee at the Gourmet grocery store and avoided visiting the free coffee and donuts for Catholic Schools week after Church. I now have a spaghetti squash in my air fryer.

As far as taxes, my Dad always did his own and my 6th grade Social studies teacher created a unit on doing our taxes. He went and got the previous years forms, paired us up, gave us jobs and salaries, allowed us to choose features of our house (like I remember a pool. My partner wanted the pool. I tired to say no since I lived in a house with a pool and felt it was way too much work. LOL) Assigned us a number of kids and then had us fill out the forms.

I am hoping I get my last form at my investment club meeting tomorrow evening. I do not qualify for free prep and filing. The past several years I have used H&R Block. Then I get irritated because in Ohio we can file state online for free and Block is always offering to sell the state version.

The rest of the day is mine as after my lunch I visited DS1 & family since I was literally in the neighborhood. I think DDIL is winging her ways towards Florida's way. She has a great uncle there and a convention this week. But when i got there, I went in, grabbed the cordless vacuum they have hanging on the wall, switched the accessories and finally vacuumed the broken Oyster crackers of DS's car off the floor of the back seat. LOL. He had a small piece of his taillight broker. There is a piece of silver duct take over it. I will order a new tail light and he can install it for letting me use the car.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Super WOW!!! for your 6th-grade teacher.

I worked with a woman, who lived on a farm, and her dad (I'll have to ask her at what age) had each of the kids keep the farm books for a year, now that is a learning experience. Smart dad.

IC
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

icfrugal2 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:38 pm Super WOW!!! for your 6th-grade teacher.

I worked with a woman, who lived on a farm, and her dad (I'll have to ask her at what age) had each of the kids keep the farm books for a year, now that is a learning experience. Smart dad.

IC
We had summer jobs in high school, so my mom took us down to the bank and had us open checking accounts. We had our little checkbooks and had to make sure to balance our monthly statements.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I was reading today that AARP has free centers all over the country to help senior citizens with their taxes and one does not have to be a member to get the help.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:47 pm I was reading today that AARP has free centers all over the country to help senior citizens with their taxes and one does not have to be a member to get the help.
Yes around here we have several organizations that will help seniors. 250 is way too much.

I use turbo tax and do pay some - but about 40 bucks.