Daily Check In February 6, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In February 6, 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

Kitty, I read that there's now a shortage of heavy layer breed chicks from places like McMurray's Hatchery because people are trying to raise backyard chickens for eggs. They may find they can't break even at those prices.

A ready made chicken coop, just a small one, is $550 at Tractor Supply. You can buy a lot of eggs for $550 and not worry about weasels killing your chicks.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Wah - this gloomy weather has taken away all my get up and go.

I had several things planned to do in the nice bright sunlight. This is depressing.

And then I ate my tunafish and it just didn't sit right. Had to cancel my tunafish order. The COD was going to sams and I told him to get me more. Looks like one more thing off of my food list.

And then I got my house insurance bill - well not due yet - but boy it has gone up. Wah again.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:36 pm Kitty, I read that there's now a shortage of heavy layer breed chicks from places like McMurray's Hatchery because people are trying to raise backyard chickens for eggs. They may find they can't break even at those prices.

A ready made chicken coop, just a small one, is $550 at Tractor Supply. You can buy a lot of eggs for $550 and not worry about weasels killing your chicks.
Exactly and then you have to take care of them - feed and water. And what about when they get really old? Are they ready to do what we did back in the day - you know what - Sunday dinner!!! :mrgreen:
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

https://nypost.com/2023/01/19/egg-smuggling-up-108-at-us-mexico-border-as-prices-soar/

and folks smuggling eggs from Mexico.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Penny, I’m glad that you enjoyed time with your son and rest of your family. Take it easy now.

Last week there was a story in the NYT about people buying chickens to raise them for eggs. In the comments people who raise them all the time like Kitty mentioned the price of feed, the coop and chicken run, care and what Clem mentioned - what happens when they are old and you have to handle that. It is sad that some people will buy them and then abandon them.

I’m home from mom’s house. For much of the morning I felt like crying for no reason but after working in the yard I’m feeling good and OK mentally. I put out six bags (3 from the other day and 3 from today) and I have 1 1/2 bags for Thursday. The leaves are coming down sooner than most years, I think, probably because we’ve had more cold weather.

I dropped my donations at Salvation Army. That place was really hopping and the parking lot was packed. Monday is 50% off senior day according to the sign. Even the drop off lane was crowded.

Now I’ll work on my puzzle.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I need to track my mail better.

I decided to look through some stuff and found my 1099 for 2022. How did I forget I had it? I was going to print it from the military pay site. So had to finally put in the new ink cartridge for my printer. It has been sitting there for about two weeks.

I also need to pay my water bill and print confirmation out. They send an email but i don't trust it

And yes I have a file folder in my desk - but do I use it? No

I'm so bad.