What is in your frugal spice rack?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: What is in your frugal spice rack?

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:43 pm I buy a lot of spices online at Penzey's when there's a good sale on. Penzey's is generous to its customers and often throws in a couple of full-size jars of a new spice blend for free.

My go-to's are cinnamon, apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice, a Penzey's blend called cake spice that is so good in muffins, Italian seasoning, herbs du Provence, fresh ground black pepper, smoked paprika, chili pepper, thyme, dill (really good on fish), and a Penzey's blend called Arizona Dreaming that gives the most amazing pop to vegetables.

I like to keep on hand garlic salt, dehydrated onion flakes, dehydrated celery flakes (all good when there is no fresh), parsley, sage, coriander and rosemary. Also vanilla, lemon and coconut extract for baking.
oh yes - I use dry onion flakes in my beans. I used to use real onions, but this comes in handy.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:01 pm Oh my goodness, Mackie, I should not have gone to that website - I LOVE EVERYTHING!!! I did sign up for emails hoping to get a good promo offer and there are so many sweet things I could give my daughter-in-law as a gift - so excited about that.
I consider it a good spend once every year or so. My cooking is much better for it!
Mackie
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I have pretty much all the spoces.and a full spice rack. (While I'm not a great cook I have a very good palate and good seasoning with layers of depth save me) I used to live near a Penzeys. The Italian seasons plus Rosemary, Marjoram.and Garluc plus all the backing spices like allspice and nutmeg woukd be my required. But ground mustardand paprika and Sage too.i am slowly moving over to spice mixes like penzeys who has an adibo mix and such.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I do grow some herbs myself so I have a few bags of those, parsley, thyme, oregano, rosemary, mint, basil and sage that I use for cooking.

I also have a rather large spice rack that contains all manner of herbs and spices. I don't really think there is a spice I don't have (need to pick up more cinnamon and turmeric when next I shop). My spice rack was made by Hubby many years ago and consists of a top rail for larger bottles and jars, 4 turn tables, and a bottom cubby that holds the bags I use to refill the containers on the turn tables. I then have the really large bottles (garlic powder, seasoning salt) in a cupboard as they do not fit in the rack.

I use a great deal of them in my cooking and baking. Perhaps now that I am not baking as much I will need to cut back on what I have.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I used to have some herbs in the yard, Jackie, but the rosemary died after the last surprise snow and our yard is taken over by the dogs.

There is very little usable cabinet space in my kitchen (the top shelves are out of my reach) so I made a stacking spice storage system out of some little free-standing wire shelves in a cupboard. The cooking spices and herbs are in shallow plastic baskets from Dollar Tree and slide underneath. The baking spices are in shallow Rubbermaid containers without lids and sit on top. I made cute labels for the contents out of Contact paper. It's alphabetized and I can just lift out the basket or container needed.
Mackie
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

I do keep a fair supply of spices on hand, but try not to spend more than $2-$3 for them if I can. There's only one that I am willing to pay more for an that's Mrs. Dash's Garlic and Herb.