What is in your frugal spice rack?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

What is in your frugal spice rack?

Post by HappyDaze »

What kind of spices do you buy and keep on hand? What are your go-to ones that you can put a good meal together with? Where do you get them at good prices? What ones will you pay "more" for?

For me I keep salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, chili powder, cinnamon, dried basil, dried parsley, cumin, lemon pepper. I can make chili, pizza, pasta, etc. Also ginger and nutmeg for some baked goods. I don't buy the "all in ones" like "pumpkin pie spice" or "chili seasoning".

I get mine at Dollar Tree or Save A Lot (cheaper than Dollar Tree) and on the 2x a year or so occasions that I go to Walmart, I'll see what they have there.

I will not pay a premium for any spice. There are some brands that are insanely expensive - I skip them, it's not that important to me what brand it is - give me whatever is on the shelf at the bargain stores.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Re: What is in your frugal spice rack?

Post by clemencia2us »

I used to use different spices when I would make my Mexican rice or vermicelli. My mom would grind everything from garlic cloves to cumin seed, tomatoes in her pestle. I felt weird using powdered stuff - until I didn't - :mrgreen:

One time we were having lunch at our former favorite cafe and told the owner - how do y'all make your rice - it is so good!

She looked around and whispered in my ear - we use a powdered mix - they didn't even use the old fashioned stuff. So that is what I use now.

There is this stuff called Mi Arroz - that is good in everything. "my rice".
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

clemencia2us wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:20 pm I used to use different spices when I would make my Mexican rice or vermicelli. My mom would grind everything from garlic cloves to cumin seed, tomatoes in her pestle. I felt weird using powdered stuff - until I didn't - :mrgreen:

One time we were having lunch at our former favorite cafe and told the owner - how do y'all make your rice - it is so good!

She looked around and whispered in my ear - we use a powdered mix - they didn't even use the old fashioned stuff. So that is what I use now.

There is this stuff called Mi Arroz - that is good in everything. "my rice".
I googled the Mi Arroz - it is not something I have seen around here but I think we have a similar product - made by Goya - at Save A Lot - I will have to give it a closer look.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I buy a lot of spices online at Penzey's when there's a good sale on. Penzey's is generous to its customers and often throws in a couple of full-size jars of a new spice blend for free.

My go-to's are cinnamon, apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice, a Penzey's blend called cake spice that is so good in muffins, Italian seasoning, herbs du Provence, fresh ground black pepper, smoked paprika, chili pepper, thyme, dill (really good on fish), and a Penzey's blend called Arizona Dreaming that gives the most amazing pop to vegetables.

I like to keep on hand garlic salt, dehydrated onion flakes, dehydrated celery flakes (all good when there is no fresh), parsley, sage, coriander and rosemary. Also vanilla, lemon and coconut extract for baking.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:43 pm I buy a lot of spices online at Penzey's when there's a good sale on. Penzey's is generous to its customers and often throws in a couple of full-size jars of a new spice blend for free.

My go-to's are cinnamon, apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice, a Penzey's blend called cake spice that is so good in muffins, Italian seasoning, herbs du Provence, fresh ground black pepper, smoked paprika, chili pepper, thyme, dill (really good on fish), and a Penzey's blend called Arizona Dreaming that gives the most amazing pop to vegetables.

I like to keep on hand garlic salt, dehydrated onion flakes, dehydrated celery flakes (all good when there is no fresh), parsley, sage, coriander and rosemary. Also vanilla, lemon and coconut extract for baking.
Oh my goodness, Mackie, I should not have gone to that website - I LOVE EVERYTHING!!! I did sign up for emails hoping to get a good promo offer and there are so many sweet things I could give my daughter-in-law as a gift - so excited about that.

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:37 pm I googled the Mi Arroz - it is not something I have seen around here but I think we have a similar product - made by Goya - at Save A Lot - I will have to give it a closer look.
oh yes - Goya also makes good spice mixes.