Daily Check in March 12, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

Re: Daily Check in March 12, 2023

Post by chocolite »

Hello everyone from the prodigal daughter :-)

I just decided to jump right in with a check in. We are pretty much same ol' same ol' around here. DH is still working from home. His team finally were asked to come to the office and clean out/take home any personal items in their office. The hospital decided to put a different department on their floor, so it looks pretty permanent. I kept worrying they would ask him to return, but he kept telling me there would be mass mutiny, as no one - including his manager - wanted to go back. Their productivity numbers actually improved with everyone working from home, so it all has worked out well. I depend on him a lot to help me do what I can't, so that's a big worry off my mind.

I have (yet another) caudal (nerve) block scheduled for later this month. I balked when they said they wanted to do it, because they never work, but my surgeon's nurse (whom I LOVE) encouraged me to try it. She said the doctor who does them is the absolute best in Memphis, so whatever. What sucks is that I have a brand new deductible for 2023 that hasn't been dented at all, so I'll be out a LOT of money for this procedure. After this is done, though, the deductible will be no more...so if by some miracle it actually helps, I'll be able to do it again in a few months. I'm not holding out a lot of hope...but at the same time I'm pretty much desperate, so...

My DH is finally getting ready to have the first of his knee surgeries done, we hope in May. He has put it off and put it off and now they're both bone on bone and will need total replacements. Now that he's finally decided to do it he's anxious to move as fast as possible, but the ortho clinic said they're having to schedule about two months out (which is crazy to me). But, that place is a madhouse -- the parking lot, waiting rooms, elevators -- everything is packed. A lot of people needing a lot of help. Of course, they have their own PT clinic and surgery suites all in that building, so that doesn't help with traffic flow.

I just finished a bacon/cheese/tomato biscuit for lunch -- all with leftovers -- and it was yummy. I have a good bit of a roasted chicken in my fridge needing deboned. I'll do that later and freeze both the chicken and the carcass for future use. Yesterday I pulled a package of frozen shredded chicken and made chicken & dumplings. They turned out great for a rainy chilly Saturday supper.

I'm gearing up to watch my Memphis Tigers basketball. They won both their playoff games and are playing the #1 team in the AAC (American Athletic Conference) -- Houston. After this year, Houston moves to the Big 12 conference, and we would love to send them out with a loss, lol. Our team is so much fun to watch this year. There are a couple crazy good athletes, but such a good team mentality overall. They play unselfish basketball and are a joy to watch. They have battled their way into March Madness this year and I'm really proud of them. (In case you couldn't tell) :-D

I finished my first draft of my first (and only) novel. It was a huge undertaking that took up a lot of my time and energy last year. I took a break from it for the month of January, to give myself a little distance and so I could come back to it with fresh eyes. I've begun reading through it and making (copious) edits. The "official" rewrite (with my writing group) doesn't begin until next month, but I'm trying to be ahead of the game. In the meantime, I'm still writing my short stories and I'm delving into creative nonfiction/personal essay/memoir writing as well. But my wheelhouse is definitely fiction. I enjoy it so much, and I love my writing group with members all across the globe.

Audrey and Hobbes are both doing well. They have both had health issues of late (read: EXPENSIVE), but that's to be expected as pets age and is just part of the package IMHO.

Supper tonight will be leftover chicken & dumplings (why are they even better the next day?) and the last of the stirfry veggies from the other night. We also have a couple leftover biscuits, if DH wants any with his supper.

It's good to "see" everyone. Hope you all are well, hugs to all. I'll try to do better about checking in.
Patty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I dosed two of the big dogs with Frontline.

Weird. They never cared before, but when Cody saw the box, she took off. Thankfully not under the bed. I caught her at the kitchen door.

What did the little pups tell them??
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

chocolite wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:53 pm Hello everyone from the prodigal daughter :-)

I just decided to jump right in with a check in. We are pretty much same ol' same ol' around here. DH is still working from home. His team finally were asked to come to the office and clean out/take home any personal items in their office. The hospital decided to put a different department on their floor, so it looks pretty permanent. I kept worrying they would ask him to return, but he kept telling me there would be mass mutiny, as no one - including his manager - wanted to go back. Their productivity numbers actually improved with everyone working from home, so it all has worked out well. I depend on him a lot to help me do what I can't, so that's a big worry off my mind.

I have (yet another) caudal (nerve) block scheduled for later this month. I balked when they said they wanted to do it, because they never work, but my surgeon's nurse (whom I LOVE) encouraged me to try it. She said the doctor who does them is the absolute best in Memphis, so whatever. What sucks is that I have a brand new deductible for 2023 that hasn't been dented at all, so I'll be out a LOT of money for this procedure. After this is done, though, the deductible will be no more...so if by some miracle it actually helps, I'll be able to do it again in a few months. I'm not holding out a lot of hope...but at the same time I'm pretty much desperate, so...

My DH is finally getting ready to have the first of his knee surgeries done, we hope in May. He has put it off and put it off and now they're both bone on bone and will need total replacements. Now that he's finally decided to do it he's anxious to move as fast as possible, but the ortho clinic said they're having to schedule about two months out (which is crazy to me). But, that place is a madhouse -- the parking lot, waiting rooms, elevators -- everything is packed. A lot of people needing a lot of help. Of course, they have their own PT clinic and surgery suites all in that building, so that doesn't help with traffic flow.

I just finished a bacon/cheese/tomato biscuit for lunch -- all with leftovers -- and it was yummy. I have a good bit of a roasted chicken in my fridge needing deboned. I'll do that later and freeze both the chicken and the carcass for future use. Yesterday I pulled a package of frozen shredded chicken and made chicken & dumplings. They turned out great for a rainy chilly Saturday supper.

I'm gearing up to watch my Memphis Tigers basketball. They won both their playoff games and are playing the #1 team in the AAC (American Athletic Conference) -- Houston. After this year, Houston moves to the Big 12 conference, and we would love to send them out with a loss, lol. Our team is so much fun to watch this year. There are a couple crazy good athletes, but such a good team mentality overall. They play unselfish basketball and are a joy to watch. They have battled their way into March Madness this year and I'm really proud of them. (In case you couldn't tell) :-D

I finished my first draft of my first (and only) novel. It was a huge undertaking that took up a lot of my time and energy last year. I took a break from it for the month of January, to give myself a little distance and so I could come back to it with fresh eyes. I've begun reading through it and making (copious) edits. The "official" rewrite (with my writing group) doesn't begin until next month, but I'm trying to be ahead of the game. In the meantime, I'm still writing my short stories and I'm delving into creative nonfiction/personal essay/memoir writing as well. But my wheelhouse is definitely fiction. I enjoy it so much, and I love my writing group with members all across the globe.

Audrey and Hobbes are both doing well. They have both had health issues of late (read: EXPENSIVE), but that's to be expected as pets age and is just part of the package IMHO.

Supper tonight will be leftover chicken & dumplings (why are they even better the next day?) and the last of the stirfry veggies from the other night. We also have a couple leftover biscuits, if DH wants any with his supper.

It's good to "see" everyone. Hope you all are well, hugs to all. I'll try to do better about checking in.
So very happy to see you posting once again. I hope to "see" more of you.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Finished getting the driveway snow blown. The sun is shining which actually made it feel warm outside.

Cut more 4" blocks and saved the scraps to cut those smaller 2" squares. Just resting before I start once again. I may go into the sewing/craft room to collect those bits, bobs, and orphan balls if yarn to make those mitts.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

jgomez1002 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:20 am I don't have butternut squash, but I just cleaned and cubed a sugar pie pumpkin that needs to be used. I don't know what I'm going to do with it. Do you think I could use it in this recipe?

Julie
I'd sure give it a shot. To me? Squash is kinda the same as pumpkin. If you want to lighten up the sugar pumpkin, I'd just add more carrots!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Hello All

Patty, it is so good to see you.

Today was not a no spend day because of my retiree group brunch. Food was fantastic but service slower than you know what so not worth a repeat. I think we will mainly stick to weeky lunches and breakfasts from now on. I should exercise it all off but I have a feeling Ill be lucky to get the basic 3000 standing steps today.

Mackie, I have discovered a techniqe (but not experimented with it yet) where you basiclly just take a large base piece of fabric and scraps and spray baste em on so no batting is shown, and then you either use a dissolving layer on top or tulle and just freemotion all ofer it to make a new kind of fabric and then cut it to use as needed. It's a goal.

I need to go finish painting my easter bunny acrulic canvas but I have been looking for ways to upcycle and do art with tin cans and denim today. I am going to try and make some small planters by painting the cans and then modge podging seet packets on them (I will have to find someone to make the holes).

After breakfast and french toast for brunch at one, I probably dont need much else. Perhaps some soup and salad this evening.

I have to do online worship sometime before bed, lol. Otherwise the day is mone and there will be no more spending. Tomorrow is a fully at home day and a no spend as well.