Daily Check in March 12, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in March 12, 2023

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning friends.

I 30 minutes I will be leaving to meet up with friends to go attend Mass at a Basilica and then take a tour of it. Then lunch after. We did it g=for our local Cathedral before Covid and discussed visiting the Basilica.

Last night DS2 came down and we went out for Mexican. It was a nice visit. He whined about a coming recession, the third in his lifetime (he is 23). Sigh. I told him he needs to research the economics of the 70s and then the market crash in the late 80s. His generation is NOT unique.

I did clean out some items from my cupboards and got my insulated cups a home. I threw out some specialty flours with long-gone "best used by" dates.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in March 12, 2023

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It looks like the blizzard ended at some point last night, I peeked through the curtains this morning and noticed not a breath of wind (nice) and lovely hoof prints all over my front lawn. Guess the dear were back trying to find food.

Today Hubby and I get to do a bit of shoveling and snow blowing in order to get our driveway cleared. I think we might have to do a bit on the road as well in order to hit the small cleared lane that the grader made late yesterday. The police are still asking people to stay off the roads as much as possible so they can be cleared. According to the email I got from the church last night, Mass will be online for this Sunday. Good idea really as many of us can not get out of our driveways or streets.

I have spent the last few days getting little things done that I had been procrastinating over. I started tidying the sewing/craft room and noticed all the scraps of fabric. My cutting table is still set up in the living room so off it went to sit there taunting me for a day. The next morning out came my rotary cutter, my mat and a ruler. I set to cutting that scrap fabric into 4" squares. This time I kept all those scraps and chose the largest to cut down even further into 2" squares. I have the last three fabric scraps that are too small to do much with, but too big to toss on that table right now. I will be finishing those at some point today. The sewing/craft room is a might cleaner with these done and put in the right containers.

Got a text late Friday night from eldest saying thanks for the help and then telling me some of the elementary school teachers were wondering if some mitts could come their way. Of course! Another way to use up those bits and bobs. Small mitts take very little in the way of yarn. I also have lots of leftover yarn, some even suitable for boys.

Baking was done as well. We now have loaves, and fudge (Hubby made that) as well as a pie. My sweet tooth was calling me.

The mail brought some bad news in that the insurance company will not cover the replacement of my crown...they used to cover at least part. So I guess we will pay for the whole thing and I will get it done a bit sooner than I had thought.

I think that could be enough of what happened over the past few days There are a few more tidbits but really my days have been pretty boring overall.

Household tasks for today will be making my task list for the week, starting the shopping list, putting away the clean dishes, and baking a loaf of bread. Nothing really strenuous at all. Shoveling will be strenuous and good exercise, so I probably won't get on the treadmill today.

Fun will be finishing cutting those squares, and being hopeful not to do much more damage to the fingers when cutting the smaller ones... Quilters out there I need to ask, what size squares are postage stamp quilts? I will not go smaller than 2" squares, I already have/had bandaids on most of my fingertips right now. No great blood loss this time around though. After the cutting is completed I will be knitting on my sweater.

Supper tonight is roast beef. I have used all the potatoes up in the house so I guess I will need to dirty some other pot making rice. Hubby might be a bit disappointed but has learned to go with the flow after 47 years of putting up with me.

Today I am grateful to have online friends like all of you and especially those that took the time to phone, email, visit my blog or private message me. Thank you for being good friends.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Mrscreative2

Post by Mrscreative2 »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:39 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

It looks like the blizzard ended at some point last night, I peeked through the curtains this morning and noticed not a breath of wind (nice) and lovely hoof prints all over my front lawn. Guess the dear were back trying to find food.

Today Hubby and I get to do a bit of shoveling and snow blowing in order to get our driveway cleared. I think we might have to do a bit on the road as well in order to hit the small cleared lane that the grader made late yesterday. The police are still asking people to stay off the roads as much as possible so they can be cleared. According to the email I got from the church last night, Mass will be online for this Sunday. Good idea really as many of us can not get out of our driveways or streets.

I have spent the last few days getting little things done that I had been procrastinating over. I started tidying the sewing/craft room and noticed all the scraps of fabric. My cutting table is still set up in the living room so off it went to sit there taunting me for a day. The next morning out came my rotary cutter, my mat and a ruler. I set to cutting that scrap fabric into 4" squares. This time I kept all those scraps and chose the largest to cut down even further into 2" squares. I have the last three fabric scraps that are too small to do much with, but too big to toss on that table right now. I will be finishing those at some point today. The sewing/craft room is a might cleaner with these done and put in the right containers.

Got a text late Friday night from eldest saying thanks for the help and then telling me some of the elementary school teachers were wondering if some mitts could come their way. Of course! Another way to use up those bits and bobs. Small mitts take very little in the way of yarn. I also have lots of leftover yarn, some even suitable for boys.

Baking was done as well. We now have loaves, and fudge (Hubby made that) as well as a pie. My sweet tooth was calling me.

The mail brought some bad news in that the insurance company will not cover the replacement of my crown...they used to cover at least part. So I guess we will pay for the whole thing and I will get it done a bit sooner than I had thought.

I think that could be enough of what happened over the past few days There are a few more tidbits but really my days have been pretty boring overall.

Household tasks for today will be making my task list for the week, starting the shopping list, putting away the clean dishes, and baking a loaf of bread. Nothing really strenuous at all. Shoveling will be strenuous and good exercise, so I probably won't get on the treadmill today.

Fun will be finishing cutting those squares, and being hopeful not to do much more damage to the fingers when cutting the smaller ones... Quilters out there I need to ask, what size squares are postage stamp quilts? I will not go smaller than 2" squares, I already have/had bandaids on most of my fingertips right now. No great blood loss this time around though. After the cutting is completed I will be knitting on my sweater.

Supper tonight is roast beef. I have used all the potatoes up in the house so I guess I will need to dirty some other pot making rice. Hubby might be a bit disappointed but has learned to go with the flow after 47 years of putting up with me.

Today I am grateful to have online friends like all of you and especially those that took the time to phone, email, visit my blog or private message me. Thank you for being good friends.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
I’m sorry your crown won’t be covered after all. You really have to read through all your coverage with a fine tooth comb. Despite the fact that I also had to get one (in fact have a temporary crown now while my permanent one is being made in the lab. Go back next week) I am glad we dropped the coverage. We’re still breaking even as aside from 6 month cleanings and occasional X-ray we haven’t had any other work. Dd2 has her own coverage.

We got only a small amount of the snow expected. Dh is now able to do some lifting so will get the driveway cleaned in no time with the snowblower. We had some wicked, howling winds last night though!

Creative
snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

Morning! I'm still lurking here and there.

Very cold with sleet this morning. DS1 and I are spending time together until DS2 and DH wake up. DS2 is still not sleeping through the night. So we let him sleep during the day. Trying to stay frugal but small things pop up.
Mrscreative2

Post by Mrscreative2 »

Good morning beautiful people,

I am really going to strive for a no spend day today. Money has been slipping through like a sieve and I received a large Amazon order yesterday of household stuff - 2 new pillows, bath mat, new metal cooking/large serving spoon, white Malaysian coffee (specialty item we can’t buy locally) and face cream (lower price than Shoppers or Walmart). But sometimes it feels good to have these greatly needed replacement items.

I think I will attend church online today. I have had a very active week and feel the need to rest.

Not too many items on the agenda but I need to come up with a vegetarian entree. I think I will try out MJ’s new Indian recipe. I’m a girl who likes her spice too!

Will probably go for a walk around the neighborhood at some point and I really need to clean my ensuite.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
Mrscreative2

Post by Mrscreative2 »

Dang it! I don’t have any butternut squash. I will have to take a rain check MJ! It wouldn’t be the same without it.

Creative