Study: Consumers' frugality may drive down prices

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Study: Consumers' frugality may drive down prices

Post by clemencia2us »

chocolite wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:58 pm Wow! I wanna hit your foodbank. :-D
OMG - Don't know what they gave out today, but the times I helped - darn - some good stuff!

Bottles of Evian water for example and other top name brand stuff. Probably from the bigger HEB market plus - a little more upscale type of store.

Starbucks bottles of coffee. Real good tropical type fruit. Pallets and pallets of yummy things. Sometimes even food for pets.

And of course - the basic items like bread, cereal, beans, rice, flour, sugar, canned veggies. Also non canned - fresh veggies. The food bank even started a farm so they could give that out also.

The guy that started it is very nice. Great lifestory.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

That's wonderful, Clem. I'm really glad it's there for those who need it.
Patty
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Food banks give out what they are given and that depends on the area and restaurant and individual grocery store policy I imagine.

Where I am we get panera leftovers once a week without fail in our public space to take as we wish
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

On Thursday the nurses had a fill up the truck day at our Co-op for the Salvation Army Food Bank. I quickly purchased some items they had set out at the checkout when I bought my chicken and potato salad. They were just loading up at that time so took the bag straight out to them. Man that truck was full!!!! Not a lot of fresh produce though, lots of pantry items and personnel care.

I really wish that our stores (especially Walmart) would give them items instead of throwing them away.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by Jackielou » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:57 pm

On Thursday the nurses had a fill up the truck day at our Co-op for the Salvation Army Food Bank. I quickly purchased some items they had set out at the checkout when I bought my chicken and potato salad. They were just loading up at that time so took the bag straight out to them. Man that truck was full!!!! Not a lot of fresh produce though, lots of pantry items and personnel care.

I really wish that our stores (especially Walmart) would give them items instead of throwing them away.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
That is one of the reasons I shop at H-E-B, they do support the local food bank. You will rarely find mark downs in the stores. But remember we are frugal most of us by choice.

The people getting help from the different Food Banks really need the help. I am eligible but I stopped getting it when most of what I was getting was food that I could use. Now most people who get the box put out for others what they can't use. I sometimes will take those items if it is something I know I will use.

When they went back to the old inadequate SNAP, formally food stamp, amounts requests for help from Food Banks skyrocketed.

Does anyone remember the huge line at the San Antonio Food Bank giveaway at the start of the pandemic. I am sure that was just a fraction of the need.

Penny
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Where my sister now lives, she is entitled to go to the food bank once a month which she does. Also, arrangements have been made where she lives by resident's efforts hot meals almost every night of the week and other groceries on Sundays.