Daily Check-in March 16, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Daily Check-in March 16, 2023

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

The storm we got on Tuesday which was predicted to leave 1-3 inches of snow turned out to be only rain in my area with occasional flurries mixing in. I was truly thankful. The next couple of days we'll be going into the low 50s as a high and 40s as the low. The wind has remained pretty strong though and it does still have an "icy" feel to it.

Basically my household chores are done for today although I might poke my nose into one of my closets and see if there is anything I an get rid of. I've got half of my exercising done so far.

Today I want to pull out the colored pencils I'm going to use to finish my Easter coloring page on Monday. With that, the group goes on break until April 10th. I'm done with another book and will be starting another later. I also want to start looking at April as far as a menu plan is concerned.

Dinner tonight is scrambled eggs and turkey bacon.

Well that's it for now. Have a great day.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check-in March 16, 2023

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It looks to be a bit sunnier today, or at least the opportunity for more sun is there. I sure hope that happens as I would love the wet snow and slush from yesterdays snowfall to melt and dry up. I will be doing my walking inside today as I really do not need another broken bone and my slight slip yesterday showed me that the roads are really not that safe right now. Add in the fact that my sleep was very restless, and I am probably not fit to be out walking.

Household tasks for today are sweep the floors, strip the beds, put away the clean dishes, bake bread, and scrub up the casserole dish I have soaked overnight in soapy water. I will then clean and reorganize a few of my drawers. I know there are many items I have not worn all this winter. I might as well get them ready to donate, recycle, or perhaps in some cases upcycle. We shall see.

This should be another no spend day and another day of using up all that I can.

My city is relatively small in comparison with where many of you live. We have three grocery stores (used to have 5), Walmart, Canadian Tire, 2 types of Dollar stores, one butcher (he just opened), 2 make your own wine/beer stores, 3 drug stores (2 in the grocery stores have closed cause they can't get pharmacists), 2 ladies clothing stores that are for skinny minnies, used to have one men's store but that has closed, 5 cannabis stores (really don't know why our city let so many be built), 4 car dealerships, 4 agro machinery dealerships, 5 banks, 7 gas stations, 2 second hand stores (expensive second hand stores), a CAA/Travel location, 7 dentists, 12 doctors, 1 chiropractor, a hospital that serves the whole southeast of my province if necessary, and 9 churches (we used to have 11 but the Baptist, and Presbyterian shut doors. We also have a Marks Work Wearhouse, 3 furniture stores, a jewelers (used to have three) a The Source, 15 hair salons, 3 or 4 places for massage, 3 nail salons, 2 offices of accountants, 2 small tax stores (think H&R Block), 8 eating establishments (5 closed down during and right after the pandemic), 2 bars (used to have 5 but once again there have been closures). Sure I am forgetting some but as you can see churches actually outdo places to shop for clothes or food. We make do with what we have but having to travel in order to purchase clothing that fits me, or to buy craft supplies and items we can't get here is a pain. Something we have gotten used to doing but a pain non the less. Now you know why I save every scrap of fabric, and all leftover yarn. It isn't feasible to travel 120 miles to pick up a skein of yarn or some embroidery thread. Not complaining just trying to give you all a picture of the city. I am glad we have what we do have, I just wish that things wouldn't open and then shut their doors because it isn't as profitable as they thought it would be. Or that landlords would be reasonable with rent costs for new businesses.

Supper for tonight is going to be the leftovers from Tuesday. I will make a salad to go with instead of a hot veggie.

Today I am grateful for what I have and for the family and friends that are here.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Jackie, that's a neat picture of your little city. Thank you. I think people not from Canada don't realize how far-flung population centers are. Part of the American West is still like that as well.

Good morning, frugal friends. It's another chilly morning here, not too far above freezing. I slept pretty well. Don't have a lot to do today unless I finally dig into that pile of paperwork on my little desk. Nothing is urgent: it's just annoying to see it piled up.

The dogs are asleep within arm's reach of me. The kitties have the chairs by the fireplace. Do need to catch Dora Kitty and brush her again today. She leaves tufts of fluff behind just walking through a room, like the kitty version of Pigpen in the Peanuts cartoon. :-D

ICFrugal and HappyDaze, many hugs. Owned, sending out a prayer for your lost pup.

May today be a day of peace.
Mackie
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I have been busy this morning. I have stripped my bed, I have dresses in the washer ready to go into the dryer and sheets ready to go into the washer.

The bottom sheet is on the bed. I am still deciding if I will rotate the mattress today or another time.

I need to figure out a container for my doll pattern templates. Most of my doll clothes are sewn before cutting. After they are put on the doll the sewing is all by hand.

I also have another set of templates to make. I need to keep them separate. Ziploc bags may be my solution.

I set up delivery of a Rx, I made sure I was getting 4 boxes not one. Last time I only got one box, a 20 day supply. My price is the same for one box or 4 boxes.

Penny
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:10 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

It looks to be a bit sunnier today, or at least the opportunity for more sun is there. I sure hope that happens as I would love the wet snow and slush from yesterdays snowfall to melt and dry up. I will be doing my walking inside today as I really do not need another broken bone and my slight slip yesterday showed me that the roads are really not that safe right now. Add in the fact that my sleep was very restless, and I am probably not fit to be out walking.

Household tasks for today are sweep the floors, strip the beds, put away the clean dishes, bake bread, and scrub up the casserole dish I have soaked overnight in soapy water. I will then clean and reorganize a few of my drawers. I know there are many items I have not worn all this winter. I might as well get them ready to donate, recycle, or perhaps in some cases upcycle. We shall see.

This should be another no spend day and another day of using up all that I can.

My city is relatively small in comparison with where many of you live. We have three grocery stores (used to have 5), Walmart, Canadian Tire, 2 types of Dollar stores, one butcher (he just opened), 2 make your own wine/beer stores, 3 drug stores (2 in the grocery stores have closed cause they can't get pharmacists), 2 ladies clothing stores that are for skinny minnies, used to have one men's store but that has closed, 5 cannabis stores (really don't know why our city let so many be built), 4 car dealerships, 4 agro machinery dealerships, 5 banks, 7 gas stations, 2 second hand stores (expensive second hand stores), a CAA/Travel location, 7 dentists, 12 doctors, 1 chiropractor, a hospital that serves the whole southeast of my province if necessary, and 9 churches (we used to have 11 but the Baptist, and Presbyterian shut doors. We also have a Marks Work Wearhouse, 3 furniture stores, a jewelers (used to have three) a The Source, 15 hair salons, 3 or 4 places for massage, 3 nail salons, 2 offices of accountants, 2 small tax stores (think H&R Block), 8 eating establishments (5 closed down during and right after the pandemic), 2 bars (used to have 5 but once again there have been closures). Sure I am forgetting some but as you can see churches actually outdo places to shop for clothes or food. We make do with what we have but having to travel in order to purchase clothing that fits me, or to buy craft supplies and items we can't get here is a pain. Something we have gotten used to doing but a pain non the less. Now you know why I save every scrap of fabric, and all leftover yarn. It isn't feasible to travel 120 miles to pick up a skein of yarn or some embroidery thread. Not complaining just trying to give you all a picture of the city. I am glad we have what we do have, I just wish that things wouldn't open and then shut their doors because it isn't as profitable as they thought it would be. Or that landlords would be reasonable with rent costs for new businesses.

Supper for tonight is going to be the leftovers from Tuesday. I will make a salad to go with instead of a hot veggie.

Today I am grateful for what I have and for the family and friends that are here.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Interesting statistics about your city! I love info like this.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Beautiful sunny day here..definitely heading outside for a bit.
Back later!