Daily Check-in March 21, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
casadekitty

Re: Daily Check-in March 21, 2023

Post by casadekitty »

FloridaCat,
not trying to be bossy but want to say when I talked to a couple of realtors concerning dads house they all said, paint if it wasn't already neutral colors and not to bother with replacing carpet, just make sure everything was spotless. They all said the typical buyer replaces the carpet and are likely to rip out carpet even if it is new....blows my mind.
Costs are not going to go down, once they have gone up...so remodeling is a crap shoot no matter when you do it.
The kitchen remodeling sounds interesting, can you keep the cabinet boxes and reface? or is it a tear out?

I have lived thru a lot or remodeling, my mom was the queen of "lets re-do the ????" dad came home from work one night and a wall was gone....he was not happy but when done was the right move and it all worked out LOL.
JCKitty
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

casadekitty wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:42 pm FloridaCat,
not trying to be bossy but want to say when I talked to a couple of realtors concerning dads house they all said, paint if it wasn't already neutral colors and not to bother with replacing carpet, just make sure everything was spotless. They all said the typical buyer replaces the carpet and are likely to rip out carpet even if it is new....blows my mind.
Costs are not going to go down, once they have gone up...so remodeling is a crap shoot no matter when you do it.
The kitchen remodeling sounds interesting, can you keep the cabinet boxes and reface? or is it a tear out?

I have lived thru a lot or remodeling, my mom was the queen of "lets re-do the ????" dad came home from work one night and a wall was gone....he was not happy but when done was the right move and it all worked out LOL.
JCKitty
My Michigan friend told me the same about the carpet. She replaced it and the buyer wanted a credit to redo it again!

The big issue in the kitchen is there is a drop-in stove/oven that is a dimension narrower than a typical range. The drop-in model may or may not be available from GE, the only brand. Really all the cabinets need replacing as much as I hate the idea. We’ll see.

As for costs, I’ve been pleasantly surprised about the painting costs. For the exterior, the price is about $500 more than what mom paid 12-14 years ago plus my guy is going to do the front and sides of the utility building. Pressure wash and two coats of high-quality paint and I know he’ll do a good job. To me this is a good deal.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

FloridaCat, I was going to suggest just having the carpet extremely well cleaned, letting the company know beforehand about the nature of the stains so they can come prepared. We did that at our old house and had it restretched in a couple of rooms that had wrinkles. The buyers were absolutely fine with it and it looked very good.
Last edited by MackerelCat on Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:10 pm It sounds like you are making great progress on the house. Not sorry you aren't going to Paris right now..it is kind of a mess with the protests going on.
And the garbage piling up on the sidewalks! Maybe it will be settled soon but maybe not.
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

update:

I really don't want to sound like I am bragging but....Holy Man..... my shrimp tacos are so awesome! :lol:
I ate 2!!!! I cooked the shrimp on my george foreman grill and it worked perfectly.

So my tummy is full, I am tired and all in all has been a good, productive day.

JCKitty
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I will third or fourth on the carpet. Many people replace it and the number of people who are moving from carpet to alternative flooring (wood, tile, whatever) is growing exponentially.

This is my first house with carpet in a long time (wood with area rugs before) because I've vaccummed and swept with carpet and without and seen the difference, but I need the support for my legs