Daily Check-in March 21, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jgomez1002

Re: Daily Check-in March 21, 2023

Post by jgomez1002 »

clemencia2us wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:10 pm My beans are done. The COD made some rice the other night and there are leftovers. Great combo - rice and beans for dinner. Topped with avocado and sour cream! Yummmmy
How do you make your beans? What type of bean do you use? What is the recipe? Please post. I LOVE Mexican style beans. Remember, I live in New England and most of our beans are baked. Sweet with molasses or maple syrup. Okay, but I miss my Abuela's beans.

Julie
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:38 pm Got a bunch of laundry going and Dora Kitty is being so cute cuddling up to DS. She is the most loving little girl.
Aw, Dora Kitty! Sweet cats are such a comfort. As I write this Hobbes is sleeping stretched out on my legs. He's the most loving cat I've ever had. And he's given me such comfort, through the worst experience of my life. He has my heart!
Patty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

jgomez1002 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:05 am How do you make your beans? What type of bean do you use? What is the recipe? Please post. I LOVE Mexican style beans. Remember, I live in New England and most of our beans are baked. Sweet with molasses or maple syrup. Okay, but I miss my Abuela's beans.

Julie
I have gotten lazy about making my beans, but the COD still loves them.

I use pinto beans. Make a pound at a time. Buy the one pound packs and make them in the crockpot.

Throw them in there and fill it with water. I used to use "real" onions, but now I use McCormick Chopped Onions - about a tablespoon.

After that "cooks" for about an hour, I toss in a cube of Knorr's Chicken Bouillon and one of Beef Bouillon.

After that cooks for a while, I will add Knorr Mi Arroz Rojo seasoning. Don't add a full pack, just by taste.

https://www.knorr.com/us/en/products/mi-arroz/mi-arroz-mexican-red-rice-seasoning.html

I started using the Mi Arroz after I asked the owner of a cafe here in town how they made their Mexican rice . She told me that was their "secret". The Knorr seasonings! :mrgreen:

I used to used the salt pork, real garlic, real onions, real cumin - and now - this is easier. And the COD can't tell the difference.

I let the crockpot go for at least 6 hours. I like them nice and tender.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

jgomez1002 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:05 am How do you make your beans? What type of bean do you use? What is the recipe? Please post. I LOVE Mexican style beans. Remember, I live in New England and most of our beans are baked. Sweet with molasses or maple syrup. Okay, but I miss my Abuela's beans.

Julie
I forgot to say that I also add tomatoes to it. I usually buy those little cherry tomatoes and will toss in the ones I have that are leftover.
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

Clem, Thank you so much for the recipe! I will make some tomorrow.

Julie