Daily Check-In March 24, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check-In March 24, 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

FloridaCat, that is awesome about your travel money.

I am back from globe-trotting all around our itty-biity city. Took the carload of stuff to Goodwill, went by Dollar Tree for a box of knock-off Swiffer dusters, a paint brush, and a tiny bag of Hershey's kisses, and then trotted over to the home goods store.

I bought two small step-on trash cans and a crank-turn flour sifter. Hunted all over the store for a small container for the dogs' medication to keep it on the countertop and found nothing suitable.

On the way home, I stopped at the more expensive grocery store and bought 5 lbs. of baking flour, a bag of carrots, bag of parsnips, one Sumo orange, two bottles of tonic water and a can of Double Q salmon. That came to an eye-watering $23 and change, with the salmon on sale at $2.99 per can. Having had a Sumo orange ($2.99 per orange), it's good but one will hold me.

This store is so fancy it has an exotic varieties of potatoes "bar," where one can select indivudal potatoes of various varieties. My wallet screams in horror. :-D
Mackie
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Mackie, I hear you on the wallet screaming. Mine too, girl. Mine too.

Afternoon, y'all. I slept last night! It was heavenly, lol. Rolled out of bed after 8 this morning. It's raining here and supposed to be really bad later on, so Audrey is glued to my legs. Ugh. It's too much. DH gave her half a storm pill (Tramadol), which helps.

I have found a local writing friend, which is great. I've seen him in our Carnegie Writers zoom meetings, and I've always liked the writing that he shared. He and his wife are retired and are excellent nature photographers (like award-winning). Anyway, we've been emailing back and forth, and have sent each other a piece for critiquing. He gave me great edits, and I hope he feels the same way about mine. Anyway, I'm really happy to have a local friend.

Supper tonight. Hmm...I'm really tempted to order pizza and wings. I have a 50% off pizzas coupon, so it would make the total a lot more affordable. We order enough to have two good meals, so it's definitely an option. I'll see what I'm up to doing and decide then.

I changed out our dining room decor a little: put a different tablecloth on and a few little bunny decorations as a centerpiece. My spring wreath finally died, after a slow and painful process over several years, lol. Anyway, I've ordered a new one from Walmart. I hope it looks okay; it had great reviews and looked good online. So we'll see...

I need to write a couple letters and work on my book. Later ~~
Patty
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:12 pm I got back $86.29 from the travel insurance. I almost forgot about it so I feel the money back is a bonus. So - I ordered four puzzles $69.30 including a 20% discount for signing up for texts and free shipping. I’ve ordered from this puzzle company previously and even with a smaller order their shipping is only $2.99. I’m happy to have the library puzzles but happy to get some new ones of my own.
Florida,

That's a GREAT bonus! Isn't it nice to shop all the puzzles and be able to pick ones you really like? I hope, and am quite certain, you will enjoy doing them this summer. What a treat!!
Hope has a good imagination.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good afternoon!

Colder today and still raining, though none of yesterday's storms. Had trouble falling asleep last night; rain usually sends me off pretty fast.

Today, had errands to run, and went to Kroger to get sale/coupon/markdown stuff. I bought ahead on a couple of things, like TP and cooking oils, since the coupons brought prices down to a semi-reasonable level. Think I will suggest that we start making DH's breakfast sandwiches again ... the prices of the ready-made ones are jumping.

Considered going to Aldi, but my hip was bothering me, so I decided to head home and take care of some things. (Like sending an invoice so I can get paid, LOL)

Florida, good deal on the refunds!
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

ATTENTION!! ATTENTIONS!!!

EzriCare Artificial Tears. IF you have any at your house, DISPOSE of them!!! They are contaminated and several people have lost eyes and eye sight due to infections caused by this product! It's a terrible thing and I just saw this on CNN and wanted to warn you all. I know my eyes are dry a lot of the time and I bought some Visine. Be very careful!! I can't even say that Visine is completely safe but this Ezricare Artificial Tears have adversely affected hundreds of people before they could pin down the product.

Cause I care about you all!

MJ
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!!

It is just about 2 pm local time. President Biden just started speaking tok the Canadian Parliament. I'm glad to be able to see this, it is on CNN. But I think you all know I am a news junkie! LOL

I had the last of my spaghetti for lunch today. I almost forgot I had that sauce in the fridge! Time to get that place cleaned and sorted out. The back of it is mostly condiments and hot sauces! WHEW!! I have a small jar of Jamaican Jerk Hot Sauce in there and holy smoley! That stuff? Less than 1/4 teaspoon spread thinly over a tortilla makes for one spicy hot taco!!

I have to load the dishwasher with today's breakfast and lunch dishes and pots and pans. I had Sheila's granola for breakfast this morning. So good!

We are having a beautiful day! I went out and had worn a nice coat instead of my parka. I was ROASTING! It's only -3C out there and I love that! It is melting in the parking lot and maybe by the end of the week, it will be clear of ice and I can take in my living room lamp! There are still some scary parts out there and at my size? I am not risking a fall and a broken hip! I may have lots of "padding" but that isn't going to be enough going against Canadian ice!

They have gotten in a bunch of butternut squash at the Food Rescue Grocery Store. Anybody got any good ways to "peel" them so I can get out the insides to make a couple of batches of Indian Butternut Squash Soup? I HATE spaghetti squash because it is so hard a skin I can't handle it. I've don't even know HOW to begin to handle butternut squash. I figured you gals would know! We never ever had it while I was growing up. I do love acorn squash and like to have that when it is in season!

Not much else going on around here. I am going over to look after Lily Gurl for the week. She is such a good doggo! She is a Senior doggie now so she likes mostly to sleep in a sunbeam, get belly rubs and nose kisses and TREATOS! They've left food for me and some diet pop. Sounds good to me!

That's the skinny around here!

MJ