Daily Check-In March 24, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-In March 24, 2023

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:30 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

I slept in this morning, but I am beginning to realize that this old body may just need that bit extra now every so often.

I need to do the usual Friday household tasks, like dusting, vacuuming, tidying the living room. I will also do some walking as the day is supposed to be another very nice one and I missed the vast majority of yesterdays gorgeousness.

Other the household tasks I will be working on my embroidery and knitting. I actually found more yarn orphans so will be able to make loads of mittens for the younger students. I do have a feeling I will be stopping at 40 pairs though. Especially as they are taking me longer than usual to knit. Fingers just are not as nimble as they used to be.

I finished off my book on the ride to and from the city, so I started a new one last night. I love Tami Hoang so I should like this book.

Since I bought supper last night (not at all frugal, but I was beat after the trip), menus will slightly change over the weekend. Tonight will be the salmon patties which I planned for, then Saturday leftover chicken (probably hot sandwiches, fries, and beans), Sunday will be the spaghetti and meat sauce. I will also need to change the next weeks menus a tiny bit as well but not too much I hope.

Off to do a bit of reading on the forum, and get my emails done.

Today I am grateful for online banking...Don't have to leave the house to pay a bill.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
I’ve maybe mentioned this before, but when I was a teen I knit about 25 pairs of children’s mittens. I don’t know what possessed me to do so and I don’t know if it was leftover yarn from mom or if I bought it. There is no need for mittens in Florida. I mailed them all to an orphanage in Boston (still in existence in another form) called the Home for Little Wanderers. My mom hung all the mittens on the clothesline before we mailed them and took a photo. I wish I still had the photo. I’m sure that the children at your son’s school will appreciate your mittens.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning frugal friends,

Jackie, One of the benefits of living a mostly frugal life is the ability to splurge a little when it bring the highest benefit. And your rotisserie chicken leftovers can have a lot of uses.

From yesterday's discussions, count me as one who has, so far, escaped contracting Covid. So have my parents and even DS23 (college kid during the height of it all). And I am not quite as careful as a lot of you.

We have a weekend forecast of torrential rains and flood warnings. Yuck.

Since it is Friday, it is laundry day. My dark and light loads have been completed and the towels are int eh dryer. Compared to the days when I did an average of 10 loads a week (and once a week), it goes so quickly.

I have no plans for this evening, but Tomorrow morning is at the lab for bloodwork (fasting) and then a friends birthday party in the evening. Sunday is DGS's 6th birthday.

Have a great day,
Maggie
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Hello all,

I didn't sleep well last night at all!!! Partly because I knew I had to set the alarm to be up for watching the baby. But partly because I just have trouble getting to sleep nowadays. I used to be able to just shut my eyes and that was it but not anymore. :roll:

Little one is taking a nap, she was hungry at 9 so fed her up real good and then it was time for a nap. She doesn't get good naps at daycare, too much going on around her. I am seriously considering keeping both littles one day a week when school is out. I wish I had a swing set or may set up a covered sandbox. I just don't have much to keep them busy outside in nice weather.

I made some yogurt last evening using the 1/2 gallon of milk that was not this weeks purchase. I can't drink milk but I can cook with it and I do like to keep some on hand for the littles. I will use the yogurt in my smoothies. Or to make biscuits.

No clue about supper, possibly mac and cheese and salad.
It is very grey and overcast again today, very chilly at 42 degrees but at least it isn't colder.
JCKitty
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:57 am I’ve maybe mentioned this before, but when I was a teen I knit about 25 pairs of children’s mittens. I don’t know what possessed me to do so and I don’t know if it was leftover yarn from mom or if I bought it. There is no need for mittens in Florida. I mailed them all to an orphanage in Boston (still in existence in another form) called the Home for Little Wanderers. My mom hung all the mittens on the clothesline before we mailed them and took a photo. I wish I still had the photo. I’m sure that the children at your son’s school will appreciate your mittens.
It has been a couple of years since I sent mittens back with DS. Since his fellow teachers (on the elementary side , it's a K-12 school) wondered if I could perhaps make some more, I was quite honoured to do so.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Another cool overcast day. I slept well. The pups did have to go out at 7 but we came back in and zonked out until 10! It felt so good.

I might do laundry today. I have to take a shower and wash this hair. I need to chop off some of this hair one of these days.

The COD brought me some blueberry muffins, so those will be eaten today! Not sure what else. A salad?

Hope all have a great day.

Praying for Cindy.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I got back $86.29 from the travel insurance. I almost forgot about it so I feel the money back is a bonus. So - I ordered four puzzles $69.30 including a 20% discount for signing up for texts and free shipping. I’ve ordered from this puzzle company previously and even with a smaller order their shipping is only $2.99. I’m happy to have the library puzzles but happy to get some new ones of my own.