Daily Check-in March 26, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-in March 26, 2023

Post by floridacatlover »

itspennyc wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:45 am I have fixed my breakfast. Oatmeal with blueberries.

I need to start sewing a couple of dolls.

I ordered my expensive OTC medication. It is done for several months now. By ordering 5 bottles at a time I save quite a bit. $81. Each bottle lasts 45 days and costs $68 plus shipping is $11. By ordering 5 I get each bottle for $54 and get free shipping. Basically I get more than one bottle free. But it is a big outlay all at once.

Penny
Now that’s what I call smart! Yes, $270 outlay on a fixed income is a lot but you’ve managed your budget so you can do it. I love it.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:00 am I was wondering about it, too. I have a Brother printer-copier-fax (don’t have the fax connected) that I’ve had for 5+ years. It tells me I’m low on ink when the cartridge is still half full but I just continue to print. Printed something yesterday and it now looks like it is almost empty but I’ll keep printing until it is completely out. I’m wasteful with printing. Whenever I transfer money from checking to savings or the other way, I always print out the confirmation.
I used to use paper galore years ago printing. I, too, print until I can't print any more.

When I finally decided to become as paperless as possible, I shredded years and years of documents filling up about a half dozen contractor plastic bags. I then bought a scanner and scanned my bills to pdfs. Switching to "green" options on my mail now allows me to download .pdfs. And if what I want to save isn't in a .pdf file such as a purchase receipt or confirmation, I switch to my.pdf printer so that I can save it to my computer. And when my computer gets backed up, once a week, it's backed up to an external drive so I have at least 2 copies saved.
floridacatlover

Good column in the local newspaper about outrageous parking costs. Parking for the Tampa Bay Bucs football games is $40. Disney parking is $25, Busch Gardens $30. What got the columnist going was a family-friendly concert at the parking lot around the football stadium and parking was $45 (not sure if there was a ticket charge, too). Parking for Taylor Swift will be $53.

Parking for our baseball team games is $15-$30. (Friend’s DH paid the parking at our spring training game. I don’t know the cost. He paid with the team app on his phone. They don’t take cash for parking or tickets or concession food.)

Some hotels here now charge $39-$40/day for valet parking.

And the kicker is that we have such poor public transit that there are no alternatives - except to stay home.
floridacatlover

LogicsHere wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:03 am I used to use paper galore years ago printing. I, too, print until I can't print any more.

When I finally decided to become as paperless as possible, I shredded years and years of documents filling up about a half dozen contractor plastic bags. I then bought a scanner and scanned my bills to pdfs. Switching to "green" options on my mail now allows me to download .pdfs. And if what I want to save isn't in a .pdf file such as a purchase receipt or confirmation, I switch to my.pdf printer so that I can save it to my computer. And when my computer gets backed up, once a week, it's backed up to an external drive so I have at least 2 copies saved.
I need to start doing at least some of that. I’m not tech savvy but I use my iPad for almost everything now. It does back up to iCloud but I’ve never tried to retrieve anything. I do sometimes save pdfs of bills or documents in the Books app (not sure if this is the best place to save them).

As I’ve said previously, I am disgusted with my laptop. It is now old, maybe 7-8 years. Mom bought it for me. I was going to do my taxes on it but I couldn’t get it to connect to my new Internet. Sheesh! I know that Maggie makes a good living with Microsoft products but if I get a new laptop it will be a MacBook.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning. We have a beautiful day - blue skies and sun - but very high winds. I am having a much better day today. Got up, showered and dressed at a decent hour and have been to Tractor Supply and Family Dollar. At TS, I had the pleasure of meeting a 4 month old white Retriever named Louie - fell right into love. He was rescued from a "pet store" in NYC and is with a family who will love him for all of his natural time on earth.

I am going to plant some rescued seeds today and see what, if anything, happens. It can't hurt to give it a try.

Yesterday I randomly remembered my facebook password after two years - how weird. I see I was not missing anything from my social media break. A bunch of nonsense.

I am off to check emails and enjoy coffee. Have a good day!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Sheila, I wondered why I never saw you on FB anymore, lol.

Quilter, thinking of you. Hope you can get an implant, then replace the bridge. I had that happen a few years ago, but it wasn’t in the front. More on the side and toward the back. Anyway, it did take a while to get it all done. Now I’m overly cautious when it comes to cleaning my teeth, and especially that area, because I sure don’t want anything to happen to that (very expensive) fix.

Hello, all and Happy Sunday. I’ve been playing online most of the morning. Hobbes and Audrey seem to switch off who sits with me. At the moment, it’s Audrey, stretched out on the foot rest of my recliner and allowing me about six inches for my legs. She’s so generous. She’s such a long little dog. Built low to the ground but super l-o-n-g.

Thanks for the movie suggestions. We ended up watching Lord Jim, with a very young, very good-looking Peter O’Toole and James Mason, whom I’ve loved for a long time. It was a really good movie. Very long though…about 2.5 hours. It did that thing where the action builds and builds, coming to a climax and then a resolution. Which you think is the ending, but it’s not. The action builds again with a new subplot. I’ve never really been a fan of this kind of movie. The second part always fails to hold my attention like the first part did. Maybe that’s just me, but I suspect it’s true of a lot of folks.

It's a really nice day here. Sunny and 70° -- just perfect. I’d love to be outside walking and enjoying the sunshine. But I’m feeling pretty unsteady, so it’s not happening today. I slept well last night and got up around 7.

I’m thinking of fixing a center slice of ham in a foil packet with sweet potatoes and pineapple. I used to do that years ago and DH always loved it. Said it tasted like a holiday in a packet, lol.
Patty