Daily Check-in March 26, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Re: Daily Check-in March 26, 2023

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

I stayed up too late last night. Well, that's usual for me on weekends. I watched two movies on TCM. This month they have been playing movies that won Oscars. I watched Patton. I'd never seen it before and it was quite good. Then, just when I thought I'd ditch the next movie half-way through to go to bed, I got sucked in! LOL I watched The Last Emperor about Puyi the last emperor of China. It was even filmed in part in the REAL Forbidden City. Quite elaborate and the acting was stellar. I was also hooked on the beautiful costuming. So, we ended up going to be about 1:00 am. Just now, How Green Was My Valley has come on. I remember as a kid, both my parents were reading this series of books. One would finish and it was handed over to the other. It was quite neato skeeto. I think it was after reading these books that Dad decided we needed a Welsh Corgi! He was named Mr. Griffith after a character in the book. Unfortunately, he was NOT a good boy and bit Dad quite badly at one time. He had a sad outcome as he was taken to the humane society. :(

I was going to go home for a bit of work at home again. Not certain I will get there today. I am just so pooped out! And although my back feels quite a bit better, I can still feel that kink. I did get some done in the front hall yesterday and not much left to do and then wash the floor.

I didn't get much done at home as I wasn't really there long enough. Mike and I had a lovely lunch and BOY! He sure likes his politics and knows so much more than I do. He is a Canada/USA Trucker and so he reads a great deal. Well, we closed down the little breakfast/lunch spot at 2 pm (started lunch a little after 12 pm) and then went to the attached bar to finish our coffees. I finally begged off at about 2:45 pm so I could get home and do some little bit of work. After all that time on hard chairs? My back was really feeling it so my recliner and another cup of coffee happened at my house.

The sun is shining nicely today. Like Jackie's however it is a bit cooler and below normal temperatures at this time of year but I'll take it as long as the ice continues to melt or sublimate. I so want the ice gone!! Then start with the snow on the lawns. Lily Gurl is all snuggled on her bed and snoozing away. We got up early for her morning potty and then came in and caught some more sleep. I just finished one cup of coffee but my eyelids are still hanging quite low so I believe another is in order.

I don't have to go home and feed the fishies. I was so worried the last time I babysit Franki Boi for a few days that this time I went out and got a gel tablet that goes in the tank to feed them. I gave it to them Friday morning and yesterday they were snacking away so that was good! I've only had one fish get sick and die. Lily Gurl's Mom had all of their fish die. I had gotten her some for Christmas and they all died too. I told her she's going to have to take out the gravel and sterilize it by baking it at 450 for at least half and hour or replacing it all together. It mush be harboring some toxin.

I am going to go make that second cup of coffee and some dawgs for lunch. Then, after the movie, I may get my mojo and go home. I am also thinking of conserving gas. I put in $20 yesterday and it has to last as long as I can stretch it. I am currently at 4th and Rosser. I live at 26th and Rosser. That is quite a stretch just to do an hour of cleaning or so. I'm thinking maybe after I go for lunch downtown tomorrow it would be a better deal to go then.

That's the skinny from here for now!

MJ

Prayers for dear little Cindy where ever she may be.
Hope has a good imagination.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

MJ, people think corgis will make great pets because they are small and cute. However, they are also extremely strong-willed and very intelligent. If you don't do what they want, they get the point across by biting. In Wales, they herd cows by biting them on the heels, so they are tough little rascals.

We loved the one we had for 13 years, but I do not want another one. In my old age, I need something easier to live with. :-D

My yard work for the day is done, having spread mulch, lopped limbs off brush, raked leaves, chopped vines, carried more slabs of rock, filled up more holes and dug up and leveled some bricks that had sunken by the back door. That felt like plenty.
Mackie
Mrscreative2

Post by Mrscreative2 »

Good afternoon beautiful people,

This morning was pretty productive as Dh installed a new sink and faucet set in our ensuite. He is NOT a plumber but it only took him about two hours and he also installed shut off valves at the hot and cold water pipes. I’m sure this saved us about $300 labour alone. The sink was bought on sale from Home Depot and we went with a functional Moen faucet which are easy to install and have a lifetime warranty. Would you believe the American Standard sink was about $60 less than ordering directly from their website. It pays to shop around! So for $225.00 including taxes, we have a lovely new sink and faucet. I’m so pleased. We dropped off our old sink and faucet at Habitat for Humanity. They were only too happy to take it and we were only too happy to donate it as now we won’t have to pay disposal fees at the dump. So it’s a win-win.

Tomorrow Dh and I plan to go snowshoeing as our temperatures are below freezing in the morning. It warms up to slightly above freezing in the afternoon so all the snow is slowly melting.

Supper tonight is up in the air. I shall search the fridge and freezer and scrounge up something. Lots of food in the house. I wanted to make that butternut squash curry soup that MJ posted but don’t have the energy. I have been working on various things since 5:00 am, including a deep clean of the kitchen appliances and sink. I was also at my husband’s beck and call and made several trips downstairs to the basement and upstairs to the second floor. Not one curse word or raised voice from Dh. Miracles do happen!

Have a wonderful evening everyone!
Creative
Mrscreative2

Post by Mrscreative2 »

Update- I have figured out dinner! BBQ chicken wings for Dh and Dd2, brown rice for Dh, gnocchi for Dd2 and I with jarred pasta sauce, mashed rutabaga, leftover nappa and baked mushrooms. Already chopped up the rutabaga. Easy Peasy! That’s why you get pre-made stuff once in awhile. Now off to finish cleaning the shower!

Creative
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Good afternoon! The weather is absolutely gorgeous! I went for a walk around the complex. It was windy and in the fifty’s, so it was a quick walk. I came in and made a cup of chocolate-mint tea. While the water was coming to temperature, I swept off my patio area and wiped down the furniture. Once my tea was ready, I sat outside in the sun and read for a bit while drinking my tea. I cannot wait to be able to do that every weekend.

I have no idea where last week or the last two weekends went. I did take a couple of naps this weekend, but still time seems to go so fast especially when super busy. I have managed to keep up with daily and weekly chores, so that is a plus. I have also managed to eat all meals at or from home, so a big money saver there. Two of my assistants are constantly eating out or getting take-out- one young and doesn’t know how to cook, the other older and doesn’t want to cook.

I have my lists done for the upcoming week (menu plan, exercise list and to-do list). Dinner for tonight is in the oven (Small roast with carrots, potatoes, and onions), and tomorrow’s lunch is ready to transfer to my lunchbox in the morning. I pulled the rest of the items from the freezer needed for the week’s meals.

Off to post in my challenge folder and then to read what everyone is up to. Have a great week everyone!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

The day started out cloudy, but it is so nice and sunny now and still cool - to me anyway. I know some folks are probably already running their ACs.

We have just been taking it easy. Reading news and watching Law and Order Special Victims Unit. I used to not want to watch it - so sad, but now, can't stop. Much better than Monk - :mrgreen:

So intense. But sad to think that these situations are happening around us.

Will probably make a burger for dinner.