Daily Check in March 28, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check in March 28, 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

My arthritic hip is yelling at me today, Kitty. It did not like all that bending I did.

I have been to the grocery store and made a quick run through the Walmart market. We needed a bunch of OTC meds, powdered laundry detergent, and tubes of squeeze-up cat food, which Walmart had. It was the least unpleasant trip I've ever made there.

Spent only about $50 on people food: bananas, grapes, celery, peppers, a little cheese, a little sliced ham, bag of rice, almond milk, pizza sauce, some soft drinks for DS to take to work, a small tub of spreadable butter, nuts, loaf of sandwich bread, saltines, olives, and applesauce. No fresh meat on special or marked down again this week.

Update: Got a loaf of bread going in the breadmaker. I made a use-it-up salad for my lunch from some bits from the produce drawer and had that with some saltines, as we were out of bread. Also have the veggies simmering for a pot of parsnip-carrot soup. The recipe calls for adding a sweet curry powder, but I am not too wild about curry and will see how it tastes without it.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

I missed on checking-in yesterday. I read up on what everyone was doing but was just too tired to write anything. I went out for lunch yesterday and got some croissants and milk while there. From lunch, I came home and worked like crazy to get the front all all sorted and cleaned and steam cleaned the floor too. WHEW! It takes me so very long to do stuff like that due to my back but I was pleased with how it turned out.

Lily Gurl got up for her morning constitutional at 5:30 am. Got that all taken care of and then back to sleep for another couple of hours. That was needed!

I didn't go for lunch today as after our second snooze, we had a late breakfast and I was full! I did come home as the dishwasher was being delivered today. YAY!! It actually arrived! I won't be home to test it out until late Friday. Their flight into Brandon is coming from Calgary and I want to make certain they are on their flight, or that it is to depart at it scheduled time before I leave Lily Gurl alone.

I had back bacon and cheese croissant for supper last night. BOY! Was that every tasty! Tonight? It might be a couple of hot dawgs or just back bacon sandwich for supper.

As Jackie has stated, winter is still hanging around. The weather stripping at Lily Gurl's house had frost on it inside! It is sunnier and better today but still -12 with a windchill of -21C. It is going down to -31C tonight so I will make sure to plug in the Van when I get back over to Lily's house.

I have paperwork to do tonight. I just realized I have a year's worth of rent checks to write and get over to the caretaker by Saturday. I hope I don't goof-up writing any of them as I have just enough checks to make it! I'm so glad I don't have to do this every month. Whew!

Meeting up with my sister-in-law tomorrow so I can give her the plaque Sherry and I got together for her. I also plan on getting an sausage egg mcmuffin. I love those! It's my favorite thing on their menu.

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I had a really nice lunch with my friends. There’s a “feel good” story about the restaurant, too. It’s a local place that had three restaurants. The owners decided to retire about two months ago. They sold two of the restaurants to a company that runs other restaurants. But they sold the one near me to a server who has worked at the restaurant for 18 years and always wanted her own restaurant. She kept all the employees, changed the name (probably required) and has some additions and deletions to the menu. The community has really supported her and we went at 11:30 because we knew it would be crowded. I hope she continues to do well!

Two potential pieces of good news about the house. Yesterday dropping off items at Salvation Army I noticed the sign with the phone number for bulk pick-ups. I called this morning. They DO pick up items inside the house. Also they do take mattresses and box springs if they have no stains or tears. (I will have to remove the mattress pad to check.) They are 3-4 weeks behind on pickups. I didn’t make an appointment yet, just got the info. The guy was very nice.

Both bathrooms have terrazzo floors. Terrazzo is concrete with marble chips mixed in, popular in the 1960s. There are stains on the floor. I used to see signs for a terrazzo refinisher so I googled him. He is going to look at the floors on Thursday. I’m not getting my hopes up and still might need new flooring but I’d like to keep it if it can be refinished. I like it.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

That is great potential good news, FloridaCat. Terrazzo floors were really popular in Florida, so maybe the guy has the experience to get yours looking good again.

The soup came out really good, but definitely needed both some butter and the sweet curry powder. The pot made a tad over five cups, so I am well set for lunch.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

It got a bit warmer, the sun came out and the snow that fell during the evening, overnight and into the morning is melting. Not to worry though more is on the way.

Got all my errands done bar one. I didn't get to the secondhand store to drop off my donation. Will do so tomorrow and may go at such a time that I can take a walk through and see what is new or available for purchase.

All household tasks are done as well, except for folding the rags I got washed.

Not going to mention what my shopping cost me today. Just have to say it was more than I thought. I did buy some meat though, a roast on sale, a bone in ham, and a package of individual salmon portions that cost less than buying a whole fillet. A few sale items entered the cart because while we did not need them immediately they will be needed in the future and they were on sale for an excellent price. A couple of items fell in price. Bananas which I buy for Hubby fell 10 cents a pound, and fresh carrots fell 25 cents a package. Still the on sale price on many items was the regular price of those items last year.

I finished the first size 12 mitt and have cast on for the second. I would like to get it done to the sewing up of the thumb and starting the palm by the end of the afternoon. Much easier to pick up stitches with black yarn when you can actually see what you are doing. If I manage to do that I could finish the mitt off tonight and cast on for another size 4 mitt.

Off to fold those rags and get them away. Then I will scan my Walmart purchases (OTC meds, K-cups, and a couple of binders for bookkeeping purposes). Then back to work on knitting and getting supper ready.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Update

So I passed my exam. No references to the screens to accomplish tasks, all book knowledge which is where I excel.

I stopped by the Gourmet grocery store and got a package of keto wraps and small jar of pesto. No good soups. So I came home and made some dinner.

My retest of my calcium level came back high again. So my Doc left a note in my Chart for me to call an endocrinologist. I will see her before I have a chance to make that call.

Have a wonderful evening,
Maggie