Erin's Dollar Tree List

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Erin's Dollar Tree List

Post by Jackielou »

At one point there was a great deal of talk about purchasing food at Dollar Tree, or another Dollar store. In my area neither of the Dollar stores we have actually sell much food beyond candy, pet food, and snacks.

Erin had an article on shopping at these stores and what used to be the best buys.

https://www.myfrugalhome.com/foods-to-buy-at-dollar-tree/

Perhaps a list of what you purchase can add to this one.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LogicsHere

Re: Erin's Dollar Tree List

Post by LogicsHere »

I don't go to Dollar Tree often as it's not exactly nearby, except for 3 to 4 times a year when I make my trip to Walmart.

I just recently took a trip to Dollar Tree and bought the following:

Hard fruit flavor disc candy (used to be 10 oz bags, now 12 oz.; this type of candy hard to find in local stores)
Can of Libby brand pineapple chunks
Can of a DT brand sliced peaches
1 box of brand name Crunch & Munch
1 16 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables (haven't used them yet; finishing of a previous bag)
1 bag of the chocolate covered mini-donuts DT brand (not bad)
1 small bottle of green stuffed olives

I was going to try a bag of their bagels (4) but changed my mind. I have in the past bought carb-free tortillas from them.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

My Dollar Tree doesn't have frozen/refrig, and doesn't have the Plus + more expensive stuff yet.

Corralite pain relief balm. This is the same as Tiger Balm, IMO, except the balm isn't as firm. It's so cheap!
https://www.dollartree.com/ccstore/v1/images/?source=/file/v6782484032061563208/products/225544.jpg
Also any first aid ointments and creams.

I like the pouches of La Sierra refried beans 15oz. They're easier to use than prying them out of a can, and I can just put the bag in the fridge if I haven't used it all.

They have Greta olive oil and oregano crackers, and they are DIVINE. I've only bought them twice, though, because I ate the whole package at once each time. https://www.dollartree.com/ccstore/v1/images/?source=/file/v2164085036900907763/products/248096.jpg

Lambertz chocolate shortbread cookies, are very similar to Pepperidge Farm Milanos , actually I like them better. http://www.lambertz.us/product/balena-shortbread-cookies-w-dark-chocolate/

Lil' Dutch Maid cookies...I like the Almond Windmill and Ginger Snaps.

Russell Stover sugar free chocolates.

Sometimes they have Progresso Soups.

Chicken of the Sea salmon pouches. Bumble Bee albacore cans. I much prefer Star Kist tuna and salmon. But I pick up one of these others now and then.

Hungry Jack dried hashbrowns. They come in a little milk carton. It makes A LOT of potatoes. You could use them in casseroles, too. I don't eat them often, but they're just great to have on hand .....when you haven't been to the store in a long time and won't be going soon, lol Like in the dead of winter. They don't even really need to be cooked, just fill the carton with hot water for about 12 minutes. You drain then fry them, but honestly you could soak them in cold water for a while and they'd rehydrate. So for emergency food, when you can't cook, they're like shredded boiled potatoes, but cold. Not terrible if you're hungry. Also I like that I can just re-hydrate the amount I need in a bowl, and save the rest for later.

IF YOU DO BAKING...........they have really cute, colorful, sparkly cake sprinkles, pearls, etc.
ALSO.........if you need dried fruits and nuts for cookies or quick breads, check out their packages of Empire mixed snacks. One or two packs of those in your dough adds a really nice variety, without having to buy full packages of different things.

Heinz 57 and A-1 steak sauce. I'm sure the larger bottles at the grocery store are a better cost value, but it takes me forever and ever to use a bottle, so the small ones are great for me.

THINGS I DON'T LIKE

They have a brand of pickle products, Breckenridge, and I tried two varieties and they're awful, IMO.
Apple Cider vinegar is awful.
Cooking oil tastes old. The olive oil isn't olive oil.
Their store brand spices and herbs. They don't taste like much at all.
Jellies and jams. Either runny, rubbery, overcooked, seedy, tasteless. I wouldn't give them to a kid, even.
ohjodi
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

The gingersnaps are the bomb. I really can't let them in the house any more because we eat them like piggies.

The baking powder, baking soda, and Saco brand baking cocoa are all excellent, as is the shelf stable almond milk. Once in a while good-sized bags of Ocean Spray craisins turn up and those are great.

The mustard is good. It's hard to screw up yellow ballparkstyle mustard. Hamburger and hotdog buns are also good.
Mackie
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

I used to go there for all my giftwrapping stuff and cards. It's crazy how much all that stuff goes for these days at Amazon. I also liked to pick up a can or two of Pringles chips - the french onion is my favorite. Also any kind of hair accessories or nail accessories (clippers/emery boards/cuticle scissors, etc.) I'd love to go again sometime, just to walk the aisles and see what they have.
Patty
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

CANADA's Dollar Trees have a lot of similar items and NOT a lot of similar items.

I've never been in a CANADIAN Dollar Tree that has a huge selection of food although what they have is constantly changing and quite good. I got 6 cans of apricots and peaches (A mix of cans) last time I went and before that 10 cans of tuna. I like to have a lot of tuna on hand for use in pasta salads and sandwiches or casseroles. I was hoping they would have more Old El Paso Green Chilis but, alas!, they did not. They had some nice items but I didn't need them. We have half a row of kitchen food stuffs and then the other half of the row is candy, snacks and drinks.

I get the little notebooks they have to write out grocery lists and other jottings. They are good for that and cheap! They also fit easily in my purse. I won't buy pens there though. I do buy, like Patty and many others, cards and gift wrap. If I find a nice shade of nail enamel I'll get that too. I also get candles there so I can light them when I send off prayers.

At the front of the store they have a cooler of drinks with unique flavors of Coca Cola and Pepsi. Sometimes I'll get one of those or a Peace Tea (same size cans as Arizona Iced tea). It's a nice treat and with my dry mouth it sure helps!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.