Daily Check In May 23, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In May 23, 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

Rosie Dog was such a good girl at the vet's office that I occasionally wondered if I had the wrong dog. :-D No grumbling and no nipping, lots of tail wagging. But she did get to see her favorite guy vet, so that helps. She is totally a man's dog.

There is, unfortunately, a small chance that she has developed mammary cancer. She was spayed at 5 and half months old, but sometimes it happens: she has developed worrisome lumps all along the mammary chain. She's so old that there is no point in putting her through a radical mastectomy, which is a huge surgery with a hard recovery even in younger dogs. The vet and I agreed to watch for any changes and then do a chest x-ray if anything happens. If there are tumors in her lungs, then we do the hard, kind thing for her. Right now her lungs sound good and her bloodwork is good for her age.

In the meantime, he changed up a few things with her medications to make her arthritis more tolerable. The new arthritis shot for dogs comes out next month and she's on the top of the list to get it. He said they are hoping it works as well for dogs as it has for their cat patients.

If we get lucky, he said, we'll get a few more years with her. Dachshunds tend to be long-lived, so we'll see. We just want her to be comfortable and happy.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

casadekitty wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:59 pm FloridaCat,
do you have any carpet/flooring stores around you that bring samples to your house to look at in your light or rooms? We have them around here and I was just wondering if that would be a help to you and your decision making.

JCKitty
I will have to check. Mom dealt with an independent carpet store but unfortunately they are out of business. At HD there were small carpet samples but only for the cheapest grade of carpet. For the others it looked like there were carpet sample boards that maybe can be checked out but there was no one at the two desks in the flooring section.

Next I think I’ll go to a big carpet/flooring place about halfway to the area where I worked. For the living/dining/kitchen the kitchen lady recommended “luxury vinyl” but I want carpet for this bedroom. The carpet in the other two bedrooms is still good and nice and neutral.

My one friend used a “decorator” to help with her condo but I’m not sure I want to go that route - or pay the fee. Just like I’ve never used a financial advisor but “think” I’d rather do it my way.
floridacatlover

MackerelCat wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:28 pm Rosie Dog was such a good girl at the vet's office that I occasionally wondered if I had the wrong dog. :-D No grumbling and no nipping, lots of tail wagging. But she did get to see her favorite guy vet, so that helps. She is totally a man's dog.

There is, unfortunately, a small chance that she has developed mammary cancer. She was spayed at 5 and half months old, but sometimes it happens: she has developed worrisome lumps all along the mammary chain. She's so old that there is no point in putting her through a radical mastectomy, which is a huge surgery with a hard recovery even in younger dogs. The vet and I agreed to watch for any changes and then do a chest x-ray if anything happens. If there are tumors in her lungs, then we do the hard, kind thing for her. Right now her lungs sound good and her bloodwork is good for her age.

In the meantime, he changed up a few things with her medications to make her arthritis more tolerable. The new arthritis shot for dogs comes out next month and she's on the top of the list to get it. He said they are hoping it works as well for dogs as it has for their cat patients.

If we get lucky, he said, we'll get a few more years with her. Dachshunds tend to be long-lived, so we'll see. We just want her to be comfortable and happy.
How old is Rosie Dog? What a good girl today. I always forget if it is Rosie or Goldie who miss Lily Dog so much.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Protesting things like book banning are always worthwhile. Just saying.

HOme again. Bible study was interesting today. We are reading things as if they were stories and comparing them to modern day when possible. Went a bit over. I also consulted with someone about a tshirt quilt and was given another pile of top sheets. The ones I can upcycle into things like aprons or tote bags I'll use the rest I'll donate if I cannot find something to do with them.

then I did go and get my hair cut quite short.

My daughter also got a pile of free fabric from one of her online groups that I will get from her on Friday.

No shopping. I'll cut open the toothpaste, use shampoo for the dishes and finse well if I have to and I have food enough. Home for the duration. and maybe tomorrow if it rains the way it should.
floridacatlover

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:19 pm Bonne apres midi mes amis!

I stayed up late and thus got up late. I haven't felt much like eating some days of late and today for lunch I had yogurt and granola. I'm not sure what supper will be yet. I am going out and may stop at Sobey's to pick up a few things to add to what I already have in the freezer or cupboards.

I have to go out and renew my driver's license. From there? I'll go next door to Dollar Tree and get some Tag board and a bottle of acrylic paint and a sponge paint brush. TODAY IS THE BIG PROTEST and I am going with my sign that says, "NO BANNED BOOKS!!" I had thought I'd color it in with some Sharpies but that would take just too long and I think it would show up better with solid paint. The book bank was brought forward to the Brandon School Division by some tightwad religious old Grandma. She thinks being gay means you're a pedophile and grooming kids with the books they read. UGH! WOW! You should SEE the school board agenda for tonight! There are 31 speakers about the book ban and only TWO are in support of banning the books. Several faculty and the President of Brandon University are also speaking against the book banning and there are going to be TONS of people there in support of a FREE library without constraints. Several members of our LBGTQ+ community will also be speaking and then LOADS of parents with children ACTUALLY in the schools. They figure the meeting might be 5 or more hours long. Each presenter is given 15 minutes to speak and of course there is all the usual business, some of which comes before the presentations. I am quite certain my back won't hold up for the whole thing, NOPE! But I intend to make a showing with the outside gathered people supporting the Librarians at the schools and our local library because heaven knows they'll go after it next.

I was thinking back to the books I read that they want to ban like "To Kill a MockingBird" and others with ANY sexual content (Married man/woman cheats on husband) etc. I read To Kill a Mockingbird when I was in third grade. I adore that book to this day. I remember taking it out of our children's library (purple canvas cover with the fabric deteriorating on the corners) several times. The children's librarian new me very well and I advanced to the "adult" library probably in 5th grade. We were NEVER told which library we could go and get books from, I just like the Grandma librarian we had down in the children's library. :) I was reading that one of the books they want to ban is about the transgendered child, Jazz (she had a show on A&E I believe). I know that for me in 7th grade I'd have wanted to read that book to learn more about her and how being trans for a kid was for difficulties or for good. Also the sexual ed books for age appropriate. I think these books are especially important for little kids. Why? Because little kids aren't aware of where their "safe" zones are and it is well known that kids who don't know are sexually abused more and as they grow, they are more at risk for teen pregnancies and having no clue about their own body works and functions. I am very much for these kids knowing what their bodies do and how they function at an AGE APPROPRIATE level. Cripes, these people are really making our librarians out to be lecherous, sexually creepy, groomers. So wrong! I feel badly for how they are being attack by this small fringe religious freak group. If they don't want their kids to have access to all books, fine. Build them a library at home but don't forbid all kids who want to learn about a diverse society to read what they want and/or what their parents allow.

We had a whole Library (like the kind found in old houses built by rich people back in the 1800s). I was all oak books shelves and Dad had tons of books in there. I don't remember EVER having my selections of books even reviewed after I got home from the public library or the one at our school libraries and certainly not from Dad's books. I was a very, very fortunate and lucky kiddo!

End of my speel on book banning! (I'm passionate about it as a book hoarder/reader myself!).

After I get the driver's license renewal, the tag board and paint for my sign, I have to deliver my financial statement to the Provincial Offices. Then home to make my poster so it has time to dry. I wouldn't be able to hold it up inside the meeting because it would block others' view of the meeting.

The school board meeting is to start at 7 pm but I will get there about 5:30 pm (if my poster is dry) and after people go in to the meeting I will come home watch the livestreaming from my recliner. I just can't see sitting or standing for more than half an hour let alone 5 plus hours.

I didn't get the dishwasher run last night. I got 3/4 of the kitchen floor done with my floor scrubber last night. I'll finish it tonight and then run the dishwasher too while I watch the meeting.

That's my BIG day for me. Cleaning, arts & crafts, and PROTESTING!! Sounds exciting huh?

That's the skinny from around here. I am finishing a cuppa joe and then heading out.

MJ
I am sorry that the book ban movement has reached Brandon! Good for you for going to the protest!

There are so many horrible things happening here in Florida. Google “New College” and see what is happening to a small state college here that was a welcoming environment to college students who felt unwelcome elsewhere. My co-worker’s son went to the school. Disgusting.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:39 pm How old is Rosie Dog? What a good girl today. I always forget if it is Rosie or Goldie who miss Lily Dog so much.
She is our oldest dog, 13 and a half years old. She's the one who has retinal atrophy blindness and yet remains as fierce as can be. It's gentle little Goldie, who is just six, who misses Lily so much. Goldie is doing better and has begun to frisk and play again and not need to be stuck to my side all the time.

Although Rosie and Lily were together for 9 years, they were never bonded. Rosie just does not like other dogs very much and Lily was Mama's girl from day one.
Mackie