Daily Check In May 23, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In May 23, 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

itspennyc wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:39 am I have a clean bottom sheet on my bed, I have washed my hair. The formerly dirty sheets are in the dryer.

Today I am feeling better than I have in days. I have so much to do, but I will be doing my best not to push myself.

I have a couple of baskets of laundry to fold.

I finished loading and set off the dishwasher.

Penny
Penny, it's so good to hear that you are feeling better.
Mackie
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by MackerelCat » Tue May 23, 2023 10:39 am

itspennyc wrote: ↑Tue May 23, 2023 9:39 am
I have a clean bottom sheet on my bed, I have washed my hair. The formerly dirty sheets are in the dryer.

Today I am feeling better than I have in days. I have so much to do, but I will be doing my best not to push myself.

I have a couple of baskets of laundry to fold.

I finished loading and set off the dishwasher.

Penny
Penny, it's so good to hear that you are feeling better.
Mackie
I have good days and bad days today is a good day.

That is the trouble with leukemia.

Penny
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Penny, I’m glad that you are having a good day.

Mackie, I’m sure that Dora Kitty was a big “help” in making the bed. 😊 Pippi loved to help me, too!

I went to mom’s house. The painter has made a lot of progress and pretty much has the first coat finished. He said he got there at 6:45 a.m. to beat the heat somewhat. Unlike for many of you, our nights really don’t cool down and right now morning temps are 72-74 F. He has done a lot of prep including taking off an unsightly cable that I will not need in the future and also dug a trench around the house to paint lower into the base of the house.

I cleaned the window sill and put the trash can back into the garage. I did stop at Home Depot to look at carpet but there was no one in the department to ask questions. So many of the carpets looked the same to me. I took some photos and got an idea of prices. I’ll go for a middle-priced carpet. I do think I’ll go to other stores to look.

Our baseball team, Tampa Bay Rays, is still doing quite well. I’ll probably finish the puzzle tonight listening to the game against the Blue Jays.
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

FloridaCat,
do you have any carpet/flooring stores around you that bring samples to your house to look at in your light or rooms? We have them around here and I was just wondering if that would be a help to you and your decision making.

JCKitty
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne apres midi mes amis!

I stayed up late and thus got up late. I haven't felt much like eating some days of late and today for lunch I had yogurt and granola. I'm not sure what supper will be yet. I am going out and may stop at Sobey's to pick up a few things to add to what I already have in the freezer or cupboards.

I have to go out and renew my driver's license. From there? I'll go next door to Dollar Tree and get some Tag board and a bottle of acrylic paint and a sponge paint brush. TODAY IS THE BIG PROTEST and I am going with my sign that says, "NO BANNED BOOKS!!" I had thought I'd color it in with some Sharpies but that would take just too long and I think it would show up better with solid paint. The book bank was brought forward to the Brandon School Division by some tightwad religious old Grandma. She thinks being gay means you're a pedophile and grooming kids with the books they read. UGH! WOW! You should SEE the school board agenda for tonight! There are 31 speakers about the book ban and only TWO are in support of banning the books. Several faculty and the President of Brandon University are also speaking against the book banning and there are going to be TONS of people there in support of a FREE library without constraints. Several members of our LBGTQ+ community will also be speaking and then LOADS of parents with children ACTUALLY in the schools. They figure the meeting might be 5 or more hours long. Each presenter is given 15 minutes to speak and of course there is all the usual business, some of which comes before the presentations. I am quite certain my back won't hold up for the whole thing, NOPE! But I intend to make a showing with the outside gathered people supporting the Librarians at the schools and our local library because heaven knows they'll go after it next.

I was thinking back to the books I read that they want to ban like "To Kill a MockingBird" and others with ANY sexual content (Married man/woman cheats on husband) etc. I read To Kill a Mockingbird when I was in third grade. I adore that book to this day. I remember taking it out of our children's library (purple canvas cover with the fabric deteriorating on the corners) several times. The children's librarian new me very well and I advanced to the "adult" library probably in 5th grade. We were NEVER told which library we could go and get books from, I just like the Grandma librarian we had down in the children's library. :) I was reading that one of the books they want to ban is about the transgendered child, Jazz (she had a show on A&E I believe). I know that for me in 7th grade I'd have wanted to read that book to learn more about her and how being trans for a kid was for difficulties or for good. Also the sexual ed books for age appropriate. I think these books are especially important for little kids. Why? Because little kids aren't aware of where their "safe" zones are and it is well known that kids who don't know are sexually abused more and as they grow, they are more at risk for teen pregnancies and having no clue about their own body works and functions. I am very much for these kids knowing what their bodies do and how they function at an AGE APPROPRIATE level. Cripes, these people are really making our librarians out to be lecherous, sexually creepy, groomers. So wrong! I feel badly for how they are being attack by this small fringe religious freak group. If they don't want their kids to have access to all books, fine. Build them a library at home but don't forbid all kids who want to learn about a diverse society to read what they want and/or what their parents allow.

We had a whole Library (like the kind found in old houses built by rich people back in the 1800s). I was all oak books shelves and Dad had tons of books in there. I don't remember EVER having my selections of books even reviewed after I got home from the public library or the one at our school libraries and certainly not from Dad's books. I was a very, very fortunate and lucky kiddo!

End of my speel on book banning! (I'm passionate about it as a book hoarder/reader myself!).

After I get the driver's license renewal, the tag board and paint for my sign, I have to deliver my financial statement to the Provincial Offices. Then home to make my poster so it has time to dry. I wouldn't be able to hold it up inside the meeting because it would block others' view of the meeting.

The school board meeting is to start at 7 pm but I will get there about 5:30 pm (if my poster is dry) and after people go in to the meeting I will come home watch the livestreaming from my recliner. I just can't see sitting or standing for more than half an hour let alone 5 plus hours.

I didn't get the dishwasher run last night. I got 3/4 of the kitchen floor done with my floor scrubber last night. I'll finish it tonight and then run the dishwasher too while I watch the meeting.

That's my BIG day for me. Cleaning, arts & crafts, and PROTESTING!! Sounds exciting huh?

That's the skinny from around here. I am finishing a cuppa joe and then heading out.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:23 pm Penny, I’m glad that you are having a good day.

Mackie, I’m sure that Dora Kitty was a big “help” in making the bed. 😊 Pippi loved to help me, too!

I went to mom’s house. The painter has made a lot of progress and pretty much has the first coat finished. He said he got there at 6:45 a.m. to beat the heat somewhat. Unlike for many of you, our nights really don’t cool down and right now morning temps are 72-74 F. He has done a lot of prep including taking off an unsightly cable that I will not need in the future and also dug a trench around the house to paint lower into the base of the house.

I cleaned the window sill and put the trash can back into the garage. I did stop at Home Depot to look at carpet but there was no one in the department to ask questions. So many of the carpets looked the same to me. I took some photos and got an idea of prices. I’ll go for a middle-priced carpet. I do think I’ll go to other stores to look.

Our baseball team, Tampa Bay Rays, is still doing quite well. I’ll probably finish the puzzle tonight listening to the game against the Blue Jays.
Florida,

Your PAINTER GUY is quite the amazing dude! He does handyman work and it sounds like an exceptional job on the house. Wow to dig a trench? He is making a VERY good job! One of the kids I used to babysit is now a house (outdoor and indoor) painter and is very much in demand. He is very good! Our area at home, especially my hometown of Luverne, Minnesota has tons of big old victorian houses and boy can he bring those back to life with the gorgeous colors he helps the owners choose.

I am so pleased you have such an excellent dude to go above and beyond!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.