Daily Check In May 24, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative2

Re: Daily Check In May 24, 2023

Post by Mrscreative2 »

Good afternoon beautiful people,

My appointment with my family physician went very well and she ordered a spinal MRI for me. She concurred that I had a very serious episode of sciatica and did an assessment. She also concluded my right leg has generalized weakness and encouraged me to continue with physiotherapy. She gave me some parameters on when to seek immediate assistance, mainly if I have any urinary or bowel incontinence or if I have any numbness in the area of the perineum.

I am still reeling from the school bus accident which involved the death of a 10 year old boy crossing an intersection while riding his bike. It appears that the bus driver was at fault as he was making a right turn on a red, and the little boy was crossing with his bike on a green light. I know this child from volunteering as a reading coach at his school. I do feel for the bus driver as they will have to live with this for the rest of their lives! But at the very same intersection, a high school boy was hit by a city bus! People have placed flowers at this intersection and last night there was an impromptu vigil held in the 10 year olds memory. The teenager survived and is currently in hospital. For two accidents to occur at the same intersection within 24 hours is incomprehensible! Just goes to show you that life as you know it can change in a moment.

I had a nice chat with a friend this afternoon and she invited me to her house for lunch, so I have that to look forward to.

Sad about Tina Turner - such a high energy performer.

Tomorrow morning I have a routine optometrist visit and it’s my year to get my glasses replaced. I think I will do that at a later time as Dh is taking the day off from golf. We plan to pick up our bedding out plants and do some work in the garden. Tonight though, we’re expecting a hard frost so my herbs will spend the night in the garage. I will cover the parsley and dill I planted into the ground. It’s taking forever for our weather to warm up this year!

My walk this morning was chilly but enjoyable. I wore my magic gloves and was comfortable with the way I dressed.

Have a wonderful evening everyone! Kitty I sure hope you sleep better this evening.

Creative
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:29 pm The only downside was that the sound was not good on my iPad. I’m not sure if it was my device or the audio in the large room. But it was interesting.

I worked with a lady whose only child was trans and came out in college. Since then this lady and her husband, now both retired, have totally supported their child (who lives in Oregon) and they are active and vocal. We have a very big LBGTQ+ Pride weekend here every year, coming up next month, and they are active with it. I’m sure it was hard at first but I’m proud of them. Dutch friend stays in closer touch with them I hear most second hand. (By the way, it might be surprising that we have such a large LBGTQ+ Pride weekend here but our main city is very Democratic. It was just announced that the Broadway star Idina Menzel will be performing this year.)
The sound was LOUSY at the beginning. After 3/4 of the meeting someone must have clued them in that no one fwatching the live streaming could hear them very well if at all.

I am so happy to hear of Trans and Gay kids being accepted by their families as just being who they are. And then you have my "mother." UGH She disowned me because I asked her how she could vote for a man who had said (and then provided some of his more well known quotes.) She told me ***I*** had a vulgar mouth and disowned me. If you are going to disown your kid in favor of Donald trump? Good riddance.

I'm glad you got to see the meeting. I had problems with sound too and I was on my laptop. I kept trying to increase the volume!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

Mrscreative2 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:17 am Good morning beautiful people,

Cool but sunny this morning. Currently 46 F or above 8 C. I’m going to Walking Club this morning but will have to cut it short so I can see my family physician. I would like her to order an MRI to see definitely if there was any disc damage and if that was the cause of the pain. I just want anything more ominous ruled out as well. My mother had excruciating back pain that the doctor couldn’t explain, was diagnosed with breast cancer in March and gone by July. I just couldn’t put this out of my head.

After the appointment I need to pick up a few groceries, inclined to go to Safeway because I can get in and out quickly and the produce is always fresh even if a bit pricey.

I already completed my first round of stretching exercises and will will do more sets today.
I’m not sure what I will do this afternoon but I will take things slow and steady. I hope to spend some time outside in our yard. I love watching the American goldfinches.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
I understand your fear because of losing your mom, please make sure that you get the testing.

IC
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

jgomez1002 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:59 am Hello Everyone,

I've been busy with conferences the last three weeks and have managed to read some of "The Frugal", but not even kept caught up. I hope everyone feels better soon.

I've been working on my gardens in my spare time. Spring came early to Maine, but it really has not warmed up yet. In the very low 60's most days and we are still getting occasional frost at night. I am planning on planting corn, wax beans (yellow), and cucumbers today. I can dig my holes for seedlings and put in my poles for Portuguese Pole Beans, and fill some planters with flowers today,

Indoor chores are some dusting, sweep and work on cleaning the basement.

Lunch will be a salad leftover beef and barley soup. Dinner is grilled lamb chops, grilled veggies and rice pilaf.

I want to go to the post office, bank and library this afternoon.

I am very thankful that DH is slowly healing and making progress with his leg injury. He has a doctor appointment tomorrow. I have some questions. DH compensates with his right leg a lot. He twists to get out of a chair. I think he needs some exercises to get out of a chair.

Have an awesome day, everyone.

Regards,
Julie
no PT for your DH?

he sure does not need to have any more problems.

IC
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I had a fun lunch with friends but I’m glad I’m home. We just had a very severe storm and it sounded like loud hail against my windows. It is still raining but not too hard. It didn’t last more than 10 minutes but Wow!

I rarely use bar soap. So I’ve gathered most of my unopened bars and put them in a bag for donation along with a toothbrush, floss and body lotion. A few weeks ago I gave a bag of toiletries to Salvation Army and they seemed to appreciate it so I’ll give them these items. Every item out of my house is a good.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Sorry to hear about the death of Tina Turner. I really enjoyed listening to her.

It is a good thing that I managed to get a great many of the household tasks completed early today. I got up from the computer chair after doing some inputting of information in my yarn spreadsheet, stretched and had a sudden sharp pain in my back. At first I could hardly breathe, and thought I might have damaged some ribs. That disappeared, but if I move the wrong way the pain comes back.

I have spent most of the day alternating sitting with a heating pad or ice pack and doing half hour stints at the sewing machine. I did manage to finish the next top and now I will get set up for a bit harder one. I have sewn this pattern before so all should go well.

So far there have been no call to ban books here, but the way that is spreading I am pretty sure that idiocy will be hitting us soon. I have already informed Hubby that I will be out there with a sign or chained to the library doors telling people over my dead body will books be banned.... Reading was such an important part of my life and our sons lives (not so much Hubby's) that the thought of actually not having the resources to make everyone feel at home and safe just makes me angry.

It is really muggy out and very dark clouds are passing to the north of us. We may get an electrical storm at some point tonight.

Off to set the table, have a bit of a rest and then start supper.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/