Daily Check In May 28, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check In May 28, 2023

Post by HappyDaze »

Hi ya everyone. As predicted I am very sore from all the porch scrubbing and flower planting yesterday. I am grateful for the results though and that may motivate me to get some more tasks done around here. I used some of my prescription pain cream and it is helping a little bit.

Jackie, I'm right there with you about needing quiet time in the morning. I even get up way before I have to so I can sit with my coffee and just BE - before I have to get ready for work.

I am planning to try to take a nap in a few minutes. If that doesn't work (sometimes it just doesn't), I'll watch an old movie. Other than that, like Logics, it's whatever the day brings.

Everyone take care and enjoy the day.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

FloridaCat, that is such a sweet puzzle. All that fabric shown makes me feel dreamy.

I changed the sheets on our bed and shoved the box springs back where they ought to be with my foot, not being strong enough to pick them up. Hey, whatever works. :-D Our bed has split box springs for ease of moving and flipping, but they are still really heavy.

Finally got the dusting done. Am doing some laundry and considering making a table skirt for the chairside table that has one shelf inside and holds the power strips. It is not attractive but it works.

Heaven help me, but I am actually considering making a quilt top for DS. This will take ages because I get distracted, but it would use up my stash of small amounts of cotton fabric.

After lunch the cupcakes will get made and I may take the day off after that.
Mackie
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Update:
Visit to the cemeteries is complete. We always start at the city cemetery to decorate the grave of one of my moms friends. She only had 1 child and he and his wife were tragically killed in an auto accident after Helen passed. They never visited or decorated her grave while living (some people don't, and that's okay) My family has always done it.
All of the rest are done also. I was thrilled to see that someone had put flowers on my favorite cousins grave. I have always taken care of it since he died and his own family did not....evidently someone has started. He was my favorite cousin. It was through him that I met the fiancé.

It is very pleasant weather today, will just take whatever comes.
I may take a nap, we shall see.

JCKitty
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I was feeling discombobulated about a few things this morning so decided to turn off the game and step away from the puzzle and get a few things done. After Mackie mentioned laundry I decided I’d do that, too. And while in the laundry room I went through my two tool boxes and some other items and found things to donate.

Then I started going through the tax returns I didn’t go through yesterday. I have shredded some of the papers but still have more to do. (Not very environmental, but I’ve been hoarding Publix plastic bags instead of using cloth bags because I use them for donations and shredding. I’m out now.) I still have two envelopes of tax related papers but I’ve gone through most of it.

Wouldn’t you know that when I went online to check the ballgame score it said that today’s game was being shown on Peacock! So I watched the last two innings (we won) and if there is a replay on Peacock I’ll watch some of it but enjoyed the two innings. I like baseball on the radio but at some point I’ll sign up for the 7-day free trial of the streaming service that shows the games. The regular cost is $20/month so too expensive.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I do not even use checks. I have been here two and a half years and any checks I hae have the other address. Everything is card or cash or venmo or zelle. AS for my kid, I did not get the logical gene in terms of either math or finances and I think she got it times three, so it is a load of my mind and a minor thing for her.

Back from church and my errand.

Need to work more on my speaking voice in German. I watch German tV shows and read German books and mags but have no one to "speak with" so I sound funny to myself sometimes. Need to practice just talking to myself I guess.

Went and collected two bins of quilts that the husbands mother and mainly I think grandmother made. Some are very involved and some are just basic and tied. Also a bunch of afghans in here. I will go thru and then share with the other buy nothing group members as needed.

I am having lasagna and spinach for lunch so we'll see how hungry I actually am at dinner. I also had a few fidge covered oreos. Sigh. I am still not good at getting up early enough to walk before the heat I either need a better indoor program or to get up earlier.

Like everyone else I am at a what will be will be status for the rest of the day. I am also home all day tomorrow so I will get a few things done one way or the other.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne apres midi toute le monde!

I did NOT sleep well last night. Phooey! I wandered around the living room and then sat in my rocker recliner and watched my fishies. After an hour or so, I turned on the TV and watched a recorded episode of Dateline. They always have such good mysteries and last night Keith Morrison really let the murderer have it when he interviewed him in jail. I'm sure there were a lot of people watching that episode wishing they could choke out the murderer. Boy! He was evil in a smiling face. UGH!

Since I didn't sleep well, I haven't gotten a lot done today. I ran the dishwasher from it's new location. I'll have to pull it out every time I use it which will be a PITA but at least I have one! I'll have to unload it. I may make that my next task after I wipe up some more of that black skin off of the bathroom floor. It seems to be floating EVERY WHERE!

I almost missed the Indy 500!! I thought, for some reason, it was on tomorrow! I turned it on and there was a few laps over 10 left to go. They've had 3 accidents and are now only on laps 9 left to go. They just had the third crash in like less than 5 minutes and this time they stopped the race instead of just a yellow flag. This was always a HUGE tradition to listen to as kids and then watch when they started broadcasting it.

Today, I contacted my brother, Mickey. You don't hear much about him from me because he kinda dumped me over trump too. Sigh. BUT today, I thought I would put some of "my things in order" and emailed him to let him know that I had Grandma Georgie's Candy Scale from the store she and Grandpa Georgie had together back in the 1950s. I have had it for 40 years but since I have no heirs, I figured it should go to him. Grandma had given him the malt malker from the store when he was in high school so this will add to his collection if anyone ever gets up here to take it to him. It is a Brantford Candy Scale made in Brantford, Ontario about 1911. I had looked it up online years ago do see a price and checked it again today. Holy Smoley! That thing is worth around $800!! It weighs a ton so there is no way it could be shipped without it costing at least $300 so he'll have to wait until someone stops by to take it down to him. It's in gorgeous shape. No rust, bevelled glass all intact and the paint job is very nice. There is even a government stamp from 1953 on it for when it was calibrated. It's pretty cool.

After the race is over, I am going to Dollar Tree and get the flowers for Grandpa George's grave at the military cemetery and stop by there to deliver them.

I paid my phone/WiFi/TV bill and my Hydro bill today. That was a relief. Whew! As soon as I get my check, those are paid immediately. Now just towait for the rent to come out.

Just having a second cuppa joe for the day and going to put on a big t-shirt to go to the store. It is humid out there!

That's the skinny from around here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.