Daily Check-In May 29, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-In May 29, 2023

Post by floridacatlover »

LogicsHere wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:08 am Good morning all.

Thank you to all who have served our country.

Florida, great job on the food budget; that was a considerable drop for you. Mine is averaging at $110, again a significant drop from 2022, but I expect it to start going up again as I work through my pantry stockup. I did raise it this year from $200 to $240 a month so I'm happy even if I go back to my $150 a month average.

It's another gorgeous day here. I'm going to try to get down to the park again today. I did yesterday and enjoyed the time spent there as well as having picked up a bit of color on my arms. It's not that we don't have a place to sit here, but much of the area is in complete sun and I don't do well with it. I do have a clamp-on umbrella for my chair on its way but won't see that until probably the end of this week.

I've offered my Monday Zoom Chat group the call this morning for any who don't have any plans telling them that I will be on at 10:30, but if no one shows I will shut it down at 10;45.

Dinner tonight is going to be a hamburger and veggies. I want to make a bit of potato salad also.

Well that's it for now. Have a super day.
Thank you for the compliment on the food budget. It was good to clear out things. June won’t be nearly as good since, like you and others, I’ll be restocking but that is OK.
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:26 pm It was from WW1 and WW2. I don’t know why but I’m guessing it might have been seen as disrespectful not to include those killed in Korea and Vietnam. But the wall/memorial was a limited size. It was in a big park. I really don’t know. My mom and especially her friend were upset because many of the “boys” whose names were on the wall were their classmates. Small town.
between you and me, if that was the reason that is ridiculous, we still have WWLL vets that are alive.

I wonder if they destroyed it or stored it.

IC
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:26 pm It was from WW1 and WW2. I don’t know why but I’m guessing it might have been seen as disrespectful not to include those killed in Korea and Vietnam. But the wall/memorial was a limited size. It was in a big park. I really don’t know. My mom and especially her friend were upset because many of the “boys” whose names were on the wall were their classmates. Small town.
Yes - that is strange. They could have set up another section for others.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Today is my last day of 11 days off from work - so I have the "yuck" feeling - but it isn't so bad because I know once I get to work tomorrow that all will be well --- it always is.

Still waiting to hear about the other job - they said they will get back to everyone they interviewed - and let them know either way.

I found 2 possible outfits today for my niece's wedding. One is a brown print maxi dress. The other is a navy and white jump suit with a flowy white top (completely separate pieces - I put them together). I got both outfits, complete with shoes, jewelry and bags for under $50 - absolutely amazing!!

I plan to take it easy for the rest of the day. I need to bake some sweet potatoes for work lunches and will watch a movie while those are cooking (or I might cook them in the slow cooker). Off to do that. Have a good afternoon/evening, everyone.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:54 pm Yes - that is strange. They could have set up another section for others.
I just looked at the park on Google Street View. I had forgotten that the park is called Veterans Memorial Park. Instead of the Roll of Honor, I see they now have a single slab of granite that says “In Memory of Veterans of All Wars.” So I think it was the issue of the different wars.

When my family lived there, the town had only 1,500 people and I think now it is about 3,000. So if they had added the names from more recent wars I don’t think it would be an overwhelming number. Mom always wanted me to read her the town news from the local newspaper and the town’s management has been a mess for some time.
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Hello all,

Thinking of and saying thank you to all who have been in service to our country.
Slept pretty good and woke up at a decent time. Coffee and puttering is the name of the day for me.
I used the portable garden net/fencing and formulated an extension of the chicken pen/yard. It may look like the Haney Place but it suits my chickens just fine.
Slowly but surely finding and getting rid of unneeded things in garage and shelter house. Needs and uses change so things need to go bye-bye.
Weatherwise it is a picture perfect day to me. The grands are off on their vacation/adventure. I know they will enjoy themselves.

I am still carrying a slight sinus headache, my allergies have been off the charts and I am ready for some rain to clean the pollen and dust from the air.
Still need to clean and box some eggs, most everything else is done.

JCKitty