Daily Check-In May 29, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Daily Check-In May 29, 2023

Post by floridacatlover »

Just to get started.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-In May 29, 2023

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Julie, I looked up the movie you mentioned, The Postman, and it sounds good. I haven’t found it online yet except for a fee. I’ll look at the library next time.

Thank you to the military service people who gave their lives for our country. In my small town in Massachusetts there used to be a Roll of Honor and mom and her best friend were angry when they took it down in later years.

I slept well but went to bed early so woke up early. I’ll be happy to get out of the house today. I’m meeting my friend at Starbucks this morning. Then I’ll go to mom’s house to put out the trash. The ixora desperately need trimming but I need to do that when it is either very early or overcast.

I’m having second thoughts on the kitchen lady. To me it seems she didn’t take much care in putting together the proposal. She has excellent reviews (and my friend was very happy) but she typically does larger more expensive kitchens and I wonder if mine would be an afterthought. Plus there is just something that makes me uncomfortable. I think I’ll check more into Home Depot which I think is more my speed. I just want a basic kitchen, nothing fancy.

I understand when you all get excited about using things up. This month I have really cleaned out my freezer (and pantry somewhat) and it is so nice to use some things that have been in the freezer far too long. One bag of veggies in particular was not the best but I ate them. I now have very little left in the freezer but enough to get me through this week. I almost never waste food but yesterday I had to throw away some strawberries and a half bottle of salad dressing. I have pretty much stuck to my $150 budget this month. I’m at $154.42 if I can hold out through this week.

Today is my last day of Netflix. Last night I watched the Obama National Parks episode on Patagonia and might watch another one tonight. I got my money’s worth on this one month of Netflix watching The Diplomat, Night Agent and Working. Now I’ll focus on the rest of my free Apple+ subscription. I do not miss Prime at all.

Have a good day.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I am glad that you don't miss Prime, Floridacat, but that service is where I am picking up all my free trials from, so I would definitely miss it. I find it much easier to go through Prime than search my mini computer for a link to say Acorn, Showcase or StackTV trials.

We got a tiny amount of rain yesterday evening, but the sky is still cloudy and dark today. I will give my plants a bit of water, and by starting my laundry early this morning, I may actually be able to get a load or two dry on the lines outside. If I have to use the dryer for one load that is okay.

Once again it is my busy day, but as is usual I will do some of the smaller tasks before heading out for my walk this morning, and do the remainder after breakfast when I get back. One of these days I will have to time how long a task takes, all I know is that lots can be accomplished in a 15 minute spurt of movement.

Frugally no money will be spent today and I will be using the water in the rain barrel to give my plants a stronger drink. Walking for frugal exercise (perhaps I had better spray with bug repellant first as the sneaky little blighters are back), using up what I can, stretching out what I can as well. No soup on the menu for this week, even though we love it the temperatures will be too high to enjoy.

I will be getting started on the dandelion oil and have found a recipe for the salve that I will use. Having a salve makes it that much easier to rub into aching muscles. Can't make that until the oil is ready though, so in about 2 weeks.

I haven't found enough plantain as of yet but I will keep looking. Lots of medicinal things that plant can be used for as well. I am keeping to topical applications and not venturing into the oral applications.

I also did a bit of a look see for foraging berries again this year. Found a few places that should give me a decent crop as long as the birds do not get them first.

Supper tonight will be Butter Chicken along with the leftover rice and salad.

Today I am grateful that the tornado that touched down south of the city our youngest DS lives in did not hit the city or cause any damage. First one of the year to be seen.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Mrscreative2

Post by Mrscreative2 »

Good morning beautiful people,

Jackie I hadn’t heard about the tornado but then again I didn’t watch the news last night or this morning. Glad your son is safe and that there’s no property damage.

Today is my favourite day of the week with Walking Club at the Waterfront and Photography Club in the afternoon. Dh has an appointment with the optometrist and this year we’re eligible for new glasses so I’m sure he will get some.

Photography Club is at a secluded park I have never been to. It’s actually on the property of a wealthy American man who built a wonderful log house to use as his summer retreat. It’s situated on a pond that attracts lots of wildlife and has some flat topped mountains as a backdrop. He recently opened his property to the public with the understanding that people respect his personal space around the log house. I’m very excited to be going and it will bring back happy memories when I was a very young group home supervisor of a nearby mansion that was donated to the Association for Community Living.

I must watch more of Apple TV. I have hardly had a chance.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Boy I slept like a log last night. The first time I got up was 3am. I got into bed by 8. I was tired. I didn't sleep well the night before since I was thinking of my pup.

I slept comfortably with all my pets.

I think today will be a pajama day!

Hope all have a great day.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Thank you to all who have served our country.

Florida, great job on the food budget; that was a considerable drop for you. Mine is averaging at $110, again a significant drop from 2022, but I expect it to start going up again as I work through my pantry stockup. I did raise it this year from $200 to $240 a month so I'm happy even if I go back to my $150 a month average.

It's another gorgeous day here. I'm going to try to get down to the park again today. I did yesterday and enjoyed the time spent there as well as having picked up a bit of color on my arms. It's not that we don't have a place to sit here, but much of the area is in complete sun and I don't do well with it. I do have a clamp-on umbrella for my chair on its way but won't see that until probably the end of this week.

I've offered my Monday Zoom Chat group the call this morning for any who don't have any plans telling them that I will be on at 10:30, but if no one shows I will shut it down at 10;45.

Dinner tonight is going to be a hamburger and veggies. I want to make a bit of potato salad also.

Well that's it for now. Have a super day.