Check-in May 30, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Check-in May 30, 2023

Post by Quilter51 »

I get hotter easier than when I was younger but it was 89 today earlier and then we had a rain storm and it went down.

Today I worked out with weights for the first time in what feels like a couple months to get back on track. I did twenty minutes of arm strength with weight and bands and then some leg strength. I am admittedly way behind on the walking thing today. I'll end up with just 3000 steps which is low for me lately and I did not even do chair aerobics as I expect the arms to start kicking my butt here shortly, lol

Had a salad bowl for lunch and am about to have a turkey and dressing casseorle and allow myself a half of a chocolate chip bakery muffin afterward.

I spent most of my day preparing to cut if you will. Im going to turn some sheets into napkins (double sided) and then cut out denim to make a purse that I will ine with part of a men's shirt. Trying to decide if I should decorate the denim.

Im a bout to do a quick pickup and then have dinner. It's corny as hell, but I have started watching FUBAR on Netflix. Arnold as a humorous action guy is still Arnold, no matter the age.

Oh, and I toook all my leftover long thing patriotic scraps, tied them together and put them on my seasonal tree. Still needs ornies or lights.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

The COD bought me chicken salad with cranberries - my favorite. So that is what I have been eating. Warm weather calls for sandwiches! :mrgreen:
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Bev, y'all can hand me a tin foil hat to wear, but I also think chemicals in the environment powerful enough to disrupt our endocrine systems are contributing to that. Everything is in plastics now, when it used to be in glass.

There also used to be cumulative small amounts of labor in the day to burn calories. Cars were all straight shift and did not have power steering. You had to raise the garage door. Bend over to tie your shoes. Iron your clothes, no perma press or polyester. No pre-chopped foods. No drive-up everything. People walked more, washed dishes by hand, had push mowers. It all adds up.

One of my TOPS buddies and I were talking about this and I told her about how people started getting fatter once cigarette smoking was no longer socially acceptable and smoking in public practically banned. I commented that seems to be when the food tampering started. She told me it has been documented about how tobacco companies bought out food companies and started tampering with the food supply by putting in additives, sugar and the ultra processing that goes on. Iii am watching documentaries on TUBI about how all of this has played out and by the consensus 50 years ago that saturated fat was the bad guy. It seems the general public has been duped all these years by the ADA and the AHA.

I do feel, however, that a dietary plan is not a one size fits all. People have different genetic mkeups and eating plans need to be tailored accordingly.

Bev
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Beverley wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:08 pm I do feel, however, that a dietary plan is not a one size fits all. People have different genetic mkeups and eating plans need to be tailored accordingly.
Genetics play a huge roll. Both my parents "aged in" to diabetes. I'm 57 and have had it for almost 7 years. I lamented the onset - "but my parents didn't get it 'til their 70s!" and was told with BOTH parents having it, I was doomed to get it sooner. Thanks, parents ;)

Reaction to diet is entirely individual. I can max out at 20 grams of carbs per day - not 20 per meal, 20 total per day - and be relatively "fine." My BS never drops below 100, but I don't gain weight.

25 grams? Ha! I'll gain 5 lbs, overnight. They don't even have to be truly carby foods, if I add 2 oz of cheese, BAM, there's the weight.

It's crazy, and it defies the known laws of physics, LOL, but a doctor told me once that the human body does what it wants, to heck with "laws" and it's way more than simple thermodynamics. Which is a bummer, because I was relying on thermodynamics for decades.

Gary Taubes and Robert Lustig have good books out, they're older but make good points.

DH has to eat at least 75g of carbs a day or he feels sick and his BS drops to the 70-80s. Low blood sugar. No idea what that's like :roll:

So at minimum I'm hoping my kids end up like him instead of like me. Or that if they have to get this stupid disorder, it doesn't happen 'til at least their 70s.