Check-in May 30, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Check-in May 30, 2023

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne matin mes amis!

One coffee in the making!

Just to get us started here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Re: Check-in May 30, 2023

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne matin mes amis!

Whelp! Another night of lousy sleeping, did I sleep? LOL I was up on and off for the night, stupid shoulder pain!! It must have been the change of weather as I haven't had pain this intense for quite awhile. That's "old age" for ya! I got up and rested in my recliner hoping to catch some Zzzs. Nothing doing. I finally tried going back to bed at 5 am. That was a bust too. I came out back into the living room and watched some of the morning news and also started unloading the dishwasher I ran last night.
I
Today is the inspection with my landlord and the fellows he wants to show it to. Jim has wanted to sell his share of the buildings for quite some time. I'll be very sad to see him go. He is SUCH a NICE and LOVELY guy to deal with for all things. He's been very understanding when I was crying my face off after coming home from a suicide attempt and was so kind. He is also aware of my ability with my back to work around here and that it takes me forever to get things done. I never feel scared with Jim but my caretaker? He can be a REAL NASTY piece of work. I think he is part of the reason Jim wants out. Jim was in charge of our buildings and he'd buy expensive tools JUST FOR JIM's USE. Well, one weekend, my Caretaker whose name is a derivative of Richard and begins with a "D" but always ends up as a swear word on here, took that brand new tool worth over $500 and figured he could clean out a drain on the top, third floor. UGH! Jim was FURIOUS he told me because not only did "D" RUIN his brand new tool, he had ruined the drain and it was a holiday weekend and they had to call in plumbers to stop the water running down the walls to the first floor. Poor Jim. He's been a SAINT having to deal with "D." "D's" wife is a lovely woman and easy to deal with, "D" has gotten better over the last 5 years I'd say, at least with tenants but not his boss! I called Jim last night to let him know I am decluttering and that the place has a bunch of bags to be sorted through in the living room and that I was doing my best to work on things but because of my back it goes slow. He said he was aware and not to worry, I wouldn't be evicted! WHEW!

I am going to lunch today and then have to stop by my friend, Spring's house. She has a container of dishwasher tablets. Her dishwasher died and she decided, for now, not to replace it. I was talking with her last night while watching a CNN documentary on the Bee Gees. OH! What an amazing show that was!! I loved it and am so glad I recorded it. I kept breaking in and saying to Spring, OMG! They are singing "How deep is your Love!!" and other songs while i sang along. She was envious and I told her I had recorded it and if she can come over this weekend we will watch it. I'll have to try not to sing along. It was like going back to Junior and Senior High! I loved the Bee Gees long before Saturday Night Fever!

My new eyeglasses are in at the optometrist. I got an email from them late yesterday afternoon. I'll have to call and make an appointment to go and get them. I'm excited for the change in styles. I hope it is different enough that people notice! No use in getting new glasses unless you can switch up your look, at least that's how I like to do it.

Aside from going to lunch today, I'll be sticking around the house and doing those "final touches" on the apartment, as I am able to on lack of sleep and very sore shoulders. It will be a no spending day. I want to run my floor scrubber over the kitchen floor again before they come tonight. ALSO, there was a big sign on the front door from the City of Brandon. We are going to be out of water while they replace the water main outside of our buildings. They will turn it off Wednesday morning and hope to have water back to us as soon as possible. Maybe even by late in the evening. We won't be able to use the water without boiling until they get the results back from the Provincial Water Test Lab. They figure that would be around Friday. I'll be busy filling the tub and I have some food-safe commercial ice cream pails with lids that I will fill up for drinking and washing water and then the tub for toilet flushing (they had that on their note to fill the tub for that purpose). Poor Ron. He works 12 hour shifts at the pork processing plant and likes to come home for a shower. It's gonna be tough on him. I can do sponge baths but for a guy who works that hard all day? He needs/wants a shower before bed. It will be nice to have the job done though. They are replacing water mains in all areas of the city.

Time to go finish unloading the dishwasher and make a second cup of coffee. Good grief, Charlie Brown! It's not even 7:00 am in Manitoba and I have been up, had breakfast, one coffee and started to unload the dishwasher! You KNOW something is weird if I am functional before 11:00 am!

That's the skinny from around here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Mrscreative2

Post by Mrscreative2 »

Good morning beautiful people,

I woke up to a beautiful day of sunshine! We’re having seasonal temperatures, not overly hot. Capris and light sweater weather for me. This morning I have an appointment with the PT and he is going to try some deep tissue massage. I can certainly feel that my back and right leg is stronger. I have done all my exercises (more repetitions than outlined) and kept up with my walking. I’m going to try riding my bike for a short distance in the neighborhood and see how that goes. A week ago, I wouldn’t even have attempted that. I’m back to my gardening in a modified way and certainly enjoy being outside. Walking Club and Photography Club was so enjoyable yesterday.

After my appointment I will go to Home Depot for yet more bedding out plants and a specialized light bulb required in our bathroom ( chandelier shaped). I took the packaging of the old ones to ensure I get the right kind and shade. I will then go to Metro for some kale starters. That’s the only place that sells them. In the afternoon I will start planting the pots that Dh already filled. I will sit on my stool so that I am not all hunched over.

I’m planning on lots of rest breaks and will be reading on the deck in my rocker at some point.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
Mrscreative2

Post by Mrscreative2 »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:43 am Bonne matin mes amis!

Whelp! Another night of lousy sleeping, did I sleep? LOL I was up on and off for the night, stupid shoulder pain!! It must have been the change of weather as I haven't had pain this intense for quite awhile. That's "old age" for ya! I got up and rested in my recliner hoping to catch some Zzzs. Nothing doing. I finally tried going back to bed at 5 am. That was a bust too. I came out back into the living room and watched some of the morning news and also started unloading the dishwasher I ran last night.
I
Today is the inspection with my landlord and the fellows he wants to show it to. Jim has wanted to sell his share of the buildings for quite some time. I'll be very sad to see him go. He is SUCH a NICE and LOVELY guy to deal with for all things. He's been very understanding when I was crying my face off after coming home from a suicide attempt and was so kind. He is also aware of my ability with my back to work around here and that it takes me forever to get things done. I never feel scared with Jim but my caretaker? He can be a REAL NASTY piece of work. I think he is part of the reason Jim wants out. Jim was in charge of our buildings and he'd buy expensive tools JUST FOR JIM's USE. Well, one weekend, my Caretaker whose name is a derivative of Richard and begins with a "D" but always ends up as a swear word on here, took that brand new tool worth over $500 and figured he could clean out a drain on the top, third floor. UGH! Jim was FURIOUS he told me because not only did "D" RUIN his brand new tool, he had ruined the drain and it was a holiday weekend and they had to call in plumbers to stop the water running down the walls to the first floor. Poor Jim. He's been a SAINT having to deal with "D." "D's" wife is a lovely woman and easy to deal with, "D" has gotten better over the last 5 years I'd say, at least with tenants but not his boss! I called Jim last night to let him know I am decluttering and that the place has a bunch of bags to be sorted through in the living room and that I was doing my best to work on things but because of my back it goes slow. He said he was aware and not to worry, I wouldn't be evicted! WHEW!

I am going to lunch today and then have to stop by my friend, Spring's house. She has a container of dishwasher tablets. Her dishwasher died and she decided, for now, not to replace it. I was talking with her last night while watching a CNN documentary on the Bee Gees. OH! What an amazing show that was!! I loved it and am so glad I recorded it. I kept breaking in and saying to Spring, OMG! They are singing "How deep is your Love!!" and other songs while i sang along. She was envious and I told her I had recorded it and if she can come over this weekend we will watch it. I'll have to try not to sing along. It was like going back to Junior and Senior High! I loved the Bee Gees long before Saturday Night Fever!

My new eyeglasses are in at the optometrist. I got an email from them late yesterday afternoon. I'll have to call and make an appointment to go and get them. I'm excited for the change in styles. I hope it is different enough that people notice! No use in getting new glasses unless you can switch up your look, at least that's how I like to do it.

Aside from going to lunch today, I'll be sticking around the house and doing those "final touches" on the apartment, as I am able to on lack of sleep and very sore shoulders. It will be a no spending day. I want to run my floor scrubber over the kitchen floor again before they come tonight. ALSO, there was a big sign on the front door from the City of Brandon. We are going to be out of water while they replace the water main outside of our buildings. They will turn it off Wednesday morning and hope to have water back to us as soon as possible. Maybe even by late in the evening. We won't be able to use the water without boiling until they get the results back from the Provincial Water Test Lab. They figure that would be around Friday. I'll be busy filling the tub and I have some food-safe commercial ice cream pails with lids that I will fill up for drinking and washing water and then the tub for toilet flushing (they had that on their note to fill the tub for that purpose). Poor Ron. He works 12 hour shifts at the pork processing plant and likes to come home for a shower. It's gonna be tough on him. I can do sponge baths but for a guy who works that hard all day? He needs/wants a shower before bed. It will be nice to have the job done though. They are replacing water mains in all areas of the city.

Time to go finish unloading the dishwasher and make a second cup of coffee. Good grief, Charlie Brown! It's not even 7:00 am in Manitoba and I have been up, had breakfast, one coffee and started to unload the dishwasher! You KNOW something is weird if I am functional before 11:00 am!

That's the skinny from around here!

MJ
MJ you’re doing great on your decluttering and it’s very prudent to keep some water on hand. Thank goodness it’s not a regular occurrence like it is for my friend in South Africa. That and along with the loss of electricity! Makes life challenging for sure! I hope the water main gets turned on sooner rather than later!

Creative
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Just like at MJ's the sun is shining brightly here. Hubby plans on going fishing at some point today and I will need to go and pick up flowers for "his" planter. I say "his" because he told me he would be looking after it... Right, we shall see.

I have a shorter list of tasks today but need to perhaps get started on them a bit earlier. I want to have lots of time to work on Hubby's robe. I am really hoping that I can get it done over the next couple of days. To be able to say I have completely finished my sewing this month would just make my day.

Frugally speaking I will be baking bread, taking a walk for exercise, mending any clothing that needs mending, pulling out the winter coats that I can wash and doing so (hanging them on the lines outside to dry), and of course sewing that robe. This robe is more a spring/summer one as it isn't made of fleece. I am using a linen blend fabric I got on sale at Fabricland for about $5.00 a meter. I picked up about 6 meters, 3 of which are being used for this robe. So between fabric cost, pattern cost (which is down to pennies by now I have used it so often), thread, electricity to run my machine, and my time this robe will cost I figure about $40.00 less than one in a store. I really shouldn't add in my time as this is fun for me. Gives me something to do and keeps me out of trouble.

Supper tonight will be a small sausage casserole. This will use up the last package of small breakfast type sausages in the freezer, some more potatoes, the remaining onion half that is in the fridge, and what carrots are in one bag and the start of the second bag of carrots. It will be cooked in the toaster oven, and I know there will be enough for another meal.

Today I am grateful that I am taking the time to break in my new to me sandals and runners.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Hello all,
MJ,I have had nights like that....it sucks. Just a thought but are you able to store water in milk jugs for flushing?

I have been up, early for me also but I think I got good sleep. :? Chickens are taken care of and I have a load of laundry going.
I also have a call into my repair company.....at dads house DD tried to plug something in an outlet in her bedroom and it threw the breaker and sparks. So I told her to turn the breaker off and now we wait for an electrician. I have replaced outlets before but the possible replacement of a breaker is above Kitty's pay grade :? I will have them replace the mega furnace filter at the same time. I feel like I am hemorrhaging money but what can you do?????

We are predicted to have high temps ..90.... by the end of the week.
Doing the regular house chores today, thawing pork tenderloins for supper, probably will throw on the Foreman as opposed to breading and frying.
Off to hang laundry and get started again.

JCKitty