Daily Check In May 31, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: Daily Check In May 31, 2023

Post by SandiSAHM »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:42 pm I think different vets may favor different knockout meds. Our Lily Dog had some teeth pulled once with a canine dentist. The regular vets were afraid to do it because dachshund's jaws are easy to break when doing certain extractions. Poor Lily moaned and twitched all night, even though she'd had a long-acting pain shot. I was awake all night, curled up around her and trying to soothe her. It turned out to be an anesthesia reaction that she had only with that vet. She was always fine with our regular vet.
Poor baby!

Our vet is not a 'young' man (I met him in 1992 when he took care of the dogs I had when I moved here), he's easily in his mid/late 70s. DH and I are both wondering if we can even have dog(s) after he retires or passes, we barely trust anyone else. Same with the lady who runs the kennel / groomer we use, Daisy runs right in there like she knows she's going to have a good time, everywhere else we've tried (so we don't have to drive 30 miles+ each way) the dog will NOT go in a 2nd time, the few places we thought a 2nd time might be viable. Even if we were inclined to 'force' her, you really can't tell a 75ish lb dog what to do when she has her mind set to not doing it.

I've always had stubborn dogs. Maybe they know their size gives them the advantage. If I ever have another dog maybe I'll go for smaller. I thought she'd be about 40 lbs, but once she started eating nutritious food, poof, those paws got big and I thought, "uh oh." She's a good girl though.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:08 pm Well, I don't know if I should be REALLY miffed of sad. At the moment? I am REALLY miffed. REALLY miffed.

My older sister and hubby, Amy and Jim, had a 40th Anniversary party on the weekend. I knew it was their anniversary and sent wishes for a happy anniversary on Facebook. I'd heard her kids were going to be there so also said I hope it is a good party!

WELL! I just left Facebook and looking at 79 photos of "the party" of about 100 guests. Who were the guests? EVERYONE. Cousins from Illinois, Texas, ND, CANADA and many different states. My little sister, Ellen's kids were there but she was working. WELL. I didn't get an invitation. I got TOLD about it Sunday night after it was all over. Aunts and Uncles from Canada too. Right here from Manitoba, Winnipeg. 2 hours away from me. They were all there. Unless she invited them all by Facebook Messenger, I did NOT even receive and invitation. Am I so awful that I don't even merit an invitation?? Well, there goes my idea of getting them a lovely ornament I'd seen to send as a 40th Anniversary present. It might not be "the bigger thing to do" but then again, after 60 years of stuff like this, I am TIRED of being "the bigger person." When do they have to do that?!!

On top of that? I won't even get to recover with my beloved, little Franki Boi this weekend as his Mum and Dad decided to just make it a day trip instead of the weekend. My heart is broken! </3 BUT then later she came back and asked if I could hang out with my boy for a bit on Friday Afternoon. I am more than up for that! That will help me out some. . .

I'm so upset I had to beat on something so I got out the eggs and milk and beat up the custard for bread pudding. AUGH! I'm just letting the bread soak in the custard a bit and then put it in the oven.

I'm just so upset. I didn't think SHE would behave like this but then again, Nori ("mother") has her influences over them all still. UGH

MJ
Oh, MJ. I'm so sorry, friend. Sending you a BIG HUG!
Patty
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

SandiSAHM wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:47 pm DH says she was up panting 'til 2:30 when he decided to once again offer her a treat - and she ate it, so he gave her meds in cheese and she (and he) finally went to sleep. This morning she was much better, and after the big wrap on her leg came off at 3pm (24 hrs) she returned to normal and ate like the beast that she is, LOL.

I guess she just doesn't do anesthesia well, which is disconcerting - she's only 7 and was 'out' for less than 20 minutes. We're going to have to be really careful (our regular vet always is) when getting her teeth cleaned or any sort of medical procedure now.

She's on painkillers and antibiotics, they don't seem to be bothering her. She had the bad sense to chase a rabbit out of the garden a few minutes ago. We need to reinforce the bottom of the fence on the west side, and probably put another fence just around the garden proper.
Poor Daisy! Big old baby, God love it!! I'm glad she's feeling better. Audrey is always pitiful after anything at the vet, refuses food and water for awhile. Then it's like a switch is flipped, and she goes back to eating and drinking. They can scare you to death...
Patty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

SandiSAHM wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:56 pm Poor baby!

Our vet is not a 'young' man (I met him in 1992 when he took care of the dogs I had when I moved here), he's easily in his mid/late 70s. DH and I are both wondering if we can even have dog(s) after he retires or passes, we barely trust anyone else. Same with the lady who runs the kennel / groomer we use, Daisy runs right in there like she knows she's going to have a good time, everywhere else we've tried (so we don't have to drive 30 miles+ each way) the dog will NOT go in a 2nd time, the few places we thought a 2nd time might be viable. Even if we were inclined to 'force' her, you really can't tell a 75ish lb dog what to do when she has her mind set to not doing it.

I've always had stubborn dogs. Maybe they know their size gives them the advantage. If I ever have another dog maybe I'll go for smaller. I thought she'd be about 40 lbs, but once she started eating nutritious food, poof, those paws got big and I thought, "uh oh." She's a good girl though.
What is it about Oklahoma vets? The one we used when I lived there was the best ever!! He kept my Peke alive with the proper meds. Sad that once I came back here, the one we used over dosed him and he passed away. The groomer there was the best too.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

clemencia2us wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:33 pm What is it about Oklahoma vets? The one we used when I lived there was the best ever!! He kept my Peke alive with the proper meds. Sad that once I came back here, the one we used over dosed him and he passed away. The groomer there was the best too.

I've met some not-great ones here (sometimes, like this week, mine goes on vacation).

When I moved here and went to work, I asked and a coworker recommended his vet in glowing terms; I wrote his name down.

Not too long after I was talking to a friend who used to live here and said 'find a vet..." and she said "Oh! You need Dr ---!"

THE SAME GUY. And these two folks did not know each other.

So I made a "checkup and meet the Dr" visit, and I will never willingly use another vet, so he has to live forever. It's actually kind of funny, he probably couldn't pick DH or me out of a lineup, he just talks to the animal - you tell him what's wrong, and then he talks to the dog about it. Mommy says you have tummy ache. Does it hurt here? Do you mind if I listen to it? Do you want this treat? Wow, you don't feel good at all, I've never seen YOU turn down a treat...

At first I was a little weirded out, but he's brilliant. Thusfar has been able to fix everything except old age - even a skin cancer in my sweetie who lived to be 16 (and did not die of cancer). All my dogs, 30 yrs ago and now, just looooove him.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I just love the head vet at the practice we use. He gets right down in the floor with my dogs and calls them "baby." He's also brilliant, but that loving kindness totally wins over the dogs.
Mackie