Daily Check In May 31, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Re: Daily Check In May 31, 2023

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Jackielou wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:18 pm So sorry MJ. I know exactly where you are coming from as you know, only in my case it is Hubby's side of the family that causes me heartache.

Yes, Jackie, I remember you mentioning it about the last "reunion." I know it is hard for you to take that too and you do so much to get ready for their auction and all. Sigh. It's sad and it hurts.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:52 pm Sandi, so sorry about the Beast's toenail. My Goldie Dog has had a few of those bloody ripped off nail trips to the vet office because she runs like the wind and then suddenly whips a sharp turn.
Now the Beast (whose name is Daisy, which makes her sound un-beasty, she was named by the kids after a neighbor dog they loved) is scaring us. The vet knocked her out long enough to fix the dewclaw apparently back to a point where it can regrow properly once everything heals.

But she hasn't eaten (it's been 7-1/2 hours) or taken a drink, won't even consider it (not chicken liver, not CHEESE - the dog loves cheese) and she has to eat in order to take her pain killers and antibiotics. I'd bet we'll be right back at the vet in the a.m., and worse it still won't be the vet we trust. Of all the times for him to be on vacation.

The Fedex guy rang the bell and she barked - and it sounded like a chihuahua with laryngitis - she's 70+ lbs and usually sounds like a big vicious dog (she's a big creampuff, sounds mean but doesn't bite).

We're baffled. DH has decided to sleep in the living room; if he's on the couch she'll sleep alongside it. Can't leave her out here alone. He's presently trying to put water in her mouth with one of those child-dosing syringes, 1/2 a teaspoon at a time. I know she can swallow, I've watched her do it. Her pupils are fine. Even this stubborn animal can't possibly just be so angry that she's on a strike?!?
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:21 pm Mes amis,

Thank you for the kind words in regards to me being ditched out of the invitations for a BIG anniversary party where all my siblings, nieces and nephews and family were at. It means a lot to have people say I am not the dirt they make me feel like I am. Is it any wonder I've tried to kill myself more times that either my psychiatrist or I can remember? They don't think I'm worthy of anything including being alive and they let me know it in many different ways.

Since I met Zoe and John, before they had kids, and became Cooper's babysitter and their friend, I haven't tried to kill myself again. It's been a good 12 years but still times like this hurt and I'm here crying as I write this missive. My Dad would have insisted she invite me but Dad has been gone so long and they don't care about that either. They have "mother." They've ALWAYS had "mother." I always had Dad who my whole life never called me anything but Josie, short for my middle name, Josephine. He always had my back with the siblings and "mother." Now it's just me.

I do sometimes forget that my Dad's little Brother, Uncle James and my Aunt Dolores, adopted me into their family after Dad died. My cousins told me that they knew what would happen to me after Dad died. That's become home for me, northern Minnesota, Hoyt Lakes. I love them and I KNOW they love me.

Well, enough of that. It's bedtime. I'll take my meds and go to bed. Tomorrow means it is one day closer to me getting to spend the afternoon with my beloved little Franki Boi. Dogs only break your heart when they leave you.

MJ
Oh MJ, I'm so sorry that you've had some difficult times to get through, but we're here for you. {{HUGS}}
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:51 pm Now the Beast (whose name is Daisy, which makes her sound un-beasty, she was named by the kids after a neighbor dog they loved) is scaring us. The vet knocked her out long enough to fix the dewclaw apparently back to a point where it can regrow properly once everything heals.

But she hasn't eaten (it's been 7-1/2 hours) or taken a drink, won't even consider it (not chicken liver, not CHEESE - the dog loves cheese) and she has to eat in order to take her pain killers and antibiotics. I'd bet we'll be right back at the vet in the a.m., and worse it still won't be the vet we trust. Of all the times for him to be on vacation.

The Fedex guy rang the bell and she barked - and it sounded like a chihuahua with laryngitis - she's 70+ lbs and usually sounds like a big vicious dog (she's a big creampuff, sounds mean but doesn't bite).

We're baffled. DH has decided to sleep in the living room; if he's on the couch she'll sleep alongside it. Can't leave her out here alone. He's presently trying to put water in her mouth with one of those child-dosing syringes, 1/2 a teaspoon at a time. I know she can swallow, I've watched her do it. Her pupils are fine. Even this stubborn animal can't possibly just be so angry that she's on a strike?!?
Sandi, I hope this was just a temporary reaction to the anesthetic. Poor Daisy! They can give her a painkilling shot that will last a day and get her over the hump, if she has to go back. I hope she is better today.
Mackie
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:25 am Sandi, I hope this was just a temporary reaction to the anesthetic. Poor Daisy! They can give her a painkilling shot that will last a day and get her over the hump, if she has to go back. I hope she is better today.
DH says she was up panting 'til 2:30 when he decided to once again offer her a treat - and she ate it, so he gave her meds in cheese and she (and he) finally went to sleep. This morning she was much better, and after the big wrap on her leg came off at 3pm (24 hrs) she returned to normal and ate like the beast that she is, LOL.

I guess she just doesn't do anesthesia well, which is disconcerting - she's only 7 and was 'out' for less than 20 minutes. We're going to have to be really careful (our regular vet always is) when getting her teeth cleaned or any sort of medical procedure now.

She's on painkillers and antibiotics, they don't seem to be bothering her. She had the bad sense to chase a rabbit out of the garden a few minutes ago. We need to reinforce the bottom of the fence on the west side, and probably put another fence just around the garden proper.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

SandiSAHM wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:47 pm DH says she was up panting 'til 2:30 when he decided to once again offer her a treat - and she ate it, so he gave her meds in cheese and she (and he) finally went to sleep. This morning she was much better, and after the big wrap on her leg came off at 3pm (24 hrs) she returned to normal and ate like the beast that she is, LOL.

I guess she just doesn't do anesthesia well, which is disconcerting - she's only 7 and was 'out' for less than 20 minutes. We're going to have to be really careful (our regular vet always is) when getting her teeth cleaned or any sort of medical procedure now.

She's on painkillers and antibiotics, they don't seem to be bothering her. She had the bad sense to chase a rabbit out of the garden a few minutes ago. We need to reinforce the bottom of the fence on the west side, and probably put another fence just around the garden proper.
I am so glad she's better.

I think different vets may favor different knockout meds. Our Lily Dog had some teeth pulled once with a canine dentist. The regular vets were afraid to do it because dachshund's jaws are easy to break when doing certain extractions. Poor Lily moaned and twitched all night, even though she'd had a long-acting pain shot. I was awake all night, curled up around her and trying to soothe her. It turned out to be an anesthesia reaction that she had only with that vet. She was always fine with our regular vet.
Mackie