Daily Check In May 31, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check In May 31, 2023

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:41 pm FloridaCat, when we renovated the kitchen in our old house, the contractor doing the rest of the house gave us the name of an independent cabinet installation guy. He did the kitchen, put in laminate countertops, and did the built-in vanities in both bathrooms. It was very affordable. We did go with a local flooring store for the floors. I don't missthe stairs in that house, but do miss how well he designed the cupboards.

I was much younger then and we painted the entire house inside and out ourselves, which was horrible and I swore to never do that again, ever.
Yes, I’m going to look around more for kitchen options. Interesting that you put in laminate countertops. Everyone now pushes granite or quartz. This was one issue I had with the kitchen lady. Mom’s kitchen currently has laminate - or Formica as we call it - and my house does, too. I’ve always been happy with it and I believe there are more laminate options now. I don’t want granite, definitely. I just don’t care for it.

I had asked the kitchen lady about flooring and she included it in the quote but I started thinking going to a flooring store would be better. Everyone advises “luxury vinyl” for the whole area - kitchen, dining and hallway but I’m just not sure. I know that carpet in a living room is “out” but if I get the luxury vinyl I’ll immediately buy a big rug. So I need to give it some thought. I think that carpet in the living room saved mom several times with minor falls.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Quilter51 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:15 pm Good morning (err, maybe afternoon now?)

I went to the eye doctor. I continue to have no diabetic issues in my eyes, just a small freckle and one floater. My cataracts are just fine. There is a small change in my refraction and I will get new glasses but it is not fun out today cause I can no longer see.

My eyes are numbed and dialated. I can manage to type but reading all your posts is difficult so I will comment on anything later when Life has improved. Next year I may have someone drive me, even with my super de dooper extra dark glasses.

So I just had breakfast/brunch (I only had caffeine before I went cause I just got up at quarter to nine).

Most of my afternoon will be spent sewing and crafting, we'll see what specifically wen I get in there. I also want to sit on the patio this afternoon and work on a little color for Tahoe.

I'm going to walk up to the pool to day and ask the afternoon gals I usually exercise with how cold it is and then probably start using it today. I feel like the water is probbly pretty cold, but it's 90 so things will change fairly quickly.

My new library book is the People of the Book. Not sure if any of you have read it but I am looking forward to it.

Off to see if I can journal with dialated eyes or I should just rest a bit, lol
I know that you can’t read this right now but the last time my eyes were dilated my blurry vision lasted most of the day, longer than in the past it seemed to me. Also I’ve thought the same thing about getting someone to go with me or even take the city bus next time.

It’s wonderful that your diabetes has not affected your vision!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

The beast acted all beasty and harmed herself (tore a dewclaw down to the ragged quick) chasing a squirrel. So now she's at the vet having minor surgery. Goofy dog - she FLIES off the deck trying to clear the fire pit area; she must have caught it on the border of the pit. Our regular vet is on vacation and his practice is just in 'answering service' mode so DH took her to an emergency vet. This is going to cost a fortune. She's worth it, but at the same time I think I'll find a way to block off her flight route - there's a perfectly nice level transition from the deck to the grass just 15 feet to one side of it, there's really no point to launching herself like that.

Outside of that, it's a hot humid day here in the center of the country. Pizza for dinner because DS loves to take the leftovers for work lunches. I'll have my usual salad instead.

Month end stuff is calling, off I go to answer it.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

pizza here as well, with some spinach salad I am thinking

Walked up to the pool as the gals were getting out. They said it was still fairly cold but the sun was nice. I will go waterwalk tomorrrow.

I now have the resident center calendar, the senior senter calendar and my own notes.

Time to plan out the month., figure the budget, and so on and so forth
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:13 pm Yes, I’m going to look around more for kitchen options. Interesting that you put in laminate countertops. Everyone now pushes granite or quartz. This was one issue I had with the kitchen lady. Mom’s kitchen currently has laminate - or Formica as we call it - and my house does, too. I’ve always been happy with it and I believe there are more laminate options now. I don’t want granite, definitely. I just don’t care for it.

I had asked the kitchen lady about flooring and she included it in the quote but I started thinking going to a flooring store would be better. Everyone advises “luxury vinyl” for the whole area - kitchen, dining and hallway but I’m just not sure. I know that carpet in a living room is “out” but if I get the luxury vinyl I’ll immediately buy a big rug. So I need to give it some thought. I think that carpet in the living room saved mom several times with minor falls.
I hate the granite countertops in our current kitchen. Everything we drop on them shatters, the pattern is so busy that nothing looks good with it, and it's impossible to tell if it's dirty, which is not a plus living with two guys. It makes the room look dark. It came with the house and costs too much to tear out.

The laminate in our old house was a beautiful medium blue. My best friend called it blue jeans blue. The floor was white and blue Armstrong vinyl and I painted the walls a peachy terracotta. It made me happy every time I went in there. It had only one small window, but the colors and white appliances made it look lighter.

A good, thick low-pile carpet is safer for older folks. You are very tidy and don't have a dog, so a good carpet should last you as longcas you live there.
Last edited by MackerelCat on Wed May 31, 2023 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mackie
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Clem, just a quick note (for others too I guess)

I participated in an antibodies study, because of course there was no baseline for covid at all and we filled out questionaliires and got blood drawn regularly.

In texas seven and a half percent had infections post vaccine (it doesnt show me after multiple vaccinesbut it probably does on the website) and that there were more break throughs with J and J.

It also said that lamost twenty percent of people in texas had love cofic, so I definitely feel your pain (exhaustion, thinking issues, shortness of breath and some loss of appetite).

Theres a lot more stuff and they developed a baseline for those who have had it and who may have had natural antibodies if as anon nurse I am reading correctly.