Daily Check In June 1, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Daily Check In June 1, 2023

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning, all. Where did May go???

I woke up very early in the 3:00 hour, thought from the birds singing and traffic that it must be at least 5:00 - nope.

Well, they finally got back to me about that job - I did not get it. They called yesterday. They said 11 people applied, they interviewed 5, and I was in the TOP TWO but they went with the other candidate. They said my interview was "fabulous" - and it was a difficult decision.

If that piece of news was supposed to make me feel "better" - it did not. Then they asked if I am available to substitute in the position when the candidate they selected is sick, on vacation, etc. I nicely said no, I need to have consistent, steady hours for the time being.

Back to the drawing board. I feel grateful that I have a good job and this isn't something that has to happen quickly.

Coffee is tasting amazing this morning so I'm off to enjoy that while I check email, etc. I hope you all have a very good day!!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
LogicsHere

Re: Daily Check In June 1, 2023

Post by LogicsHere »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:43 am Good morning, all. Where did May go???

Well, they finally got back to me about that job - I did not get it. They called yesterday. They said 11 people applied, they interviewed 5, and I was in the TOP TWO but they went with the other candidate. They said my interview was "fabulous" - and it was a difficult decision.

If that piece of news was supposed to make me feel "better" - it did not. Then they asked if I am available to substitute in the position when the candidate they selected is sick, on vacation, etc. I nicely said no, I need to have consistent, steady hours for the time being.
Good morning, Happy. I'm with you today, up early closer to the 4:00 hour.

So sorry to hear about the job. I think it was pretty tacky of them to ask if you'd be available as an occasional substitute. Who does that?

Well as you said, you've got time.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Today I will be finishing up the odds and ends tasks for my sister's arrival tomorrow. She'll be here through Sunday and leave Monday morning. I don't get to see her that often and I'd much rather see her in person than talk to her over air space on a daily basis.

I have already checked out the food ads online with one exception. The ads did not arrive yesterday due to the Monday holiday. Shoprite's will be on line tomorrow, unless the paper ads arrive today.

Other than that there will be my typical pastimes. I lead a very boring existence relative to many.

Well that's all for now. Have a great day.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

LogicsHere wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:57 am Good morning, Happy. I'm with you today, up early closer to the 4:00 hour.

So sorry to hear about the job. I think it was pretty tacky of them to ask if you'd be available as an occasional substitute. Who does that?

Well as you said, you've got time.
Thanks, Logics. I guess the same people who asked me what year I graduated high school do that. If I wanted to be nasty, and if the applicant they selected is younger than me, I could initiate a DOL investigation - and they would have to produce their interview notes, applicant resumes, etc.

It would be on them to prove that they asked all the other applicants the same question (which should never be asked at all) and that age was not a factor in their decision. I would never do that and I know that it was purely a lack of awareness that the question is inappropriate (that is, illegal) and the equivalent of asking how old I am.

I suppose I should have kindly let them know that they can't ask that - oops.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning

Happy Birthday PennyC!!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Happy Birthday, Penny!

Clem, is today your birthday, too, or is is tomorrow? Happy Birthday, Clem!

Today is also my grandmother’s birthday.