Daily Check In June 1, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In June 1, 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

Happy birthday, Penny. I am glad you are feeling better today.

I went to the grocery store and bought a lot of fresh produce, nuts, a big pack of chicken thighs, a small pack of ground pork, cottage cheese, mixed nuts, box of salt, some dog and cat treats, V-8 juice, bag of plain peanuts in the shell for the squirrels and blue jays, mini ice cream bars, some tonic water and seltzer, a couple of items for DS, and an 8-roll pack of toilet paper. That was $94 and some change. I had a coupon for $1 off the toilet paper and a free bottle of Starry soda, which I gave to DS.

Came home and made individual salads, washed the blueberries and strawberries, and sliced the cantelope. Put the chicken in to bake and fried up trimmed off skin and fat. The little pieces of crispy skin make good dog treats and the rendered chicken fat was poured up in a jar in the freezer.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Quilter51 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:03 am Good morning all

Jackie, it generally is not whether you live in oil or gas country, but how close you live to the actual refineries. I live in Texas where the refineries are literally right here right of the coast, so gas is cheaper here than almost anywhere I can go.

Sheila, I am sorry to hear about the job. Age discrimination exists unfortunately and I think is really hard to prove. I know I experienced and so did my sister. keep socking it away and looking for something part time and I know it will show up. Or perhaps sometime in the future your current job might let you go part time?

Penny, Have a lovely birthday whatever you do

MJ, I am thinking for you today.

I just got up here at nine am. but I went to be a midnight and woke up so that is okay. A friend invited me to lunch cause this one restaurant has baked potato day on Thursday but I honestly I not think I will make it.

Since I no longer have sports options on my streaming I do plan to go to a local pub and watch the basketball game today. I don't know that I will watch every singe one, but I need to watch my nuggets.

I also need just a couple groceires to get me though the weekend. I am out of coke and muffins (I always just buy four at a time so I know that they are fresh instead of multiple packs but I usually eat one a day). Also mixed vegetables to add to my chicken casserole.

Other than that I will be sewing and crafting away, and possibly hitting to pool this afternoon to work out a bit, cold water still or no.

Have a lovely day, back later.
We actually only live 2 hours away from the only refinery in the province. So that is not a problem. I checked and Saskatoon at that same time was the same price as in Regina, same with Swift Current. Both those cities are 3 hours or more away from the refinery.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Happy birthday Penny. I hope you have had a lovely day.
Jackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:59 am Sorry you did not get the position, but how tacky of them to ask if you would substitute if the applicant who got it was sick.
Thank you, Jackie. I agree it was tacky but if I was ready to retire now I would do something like that. I am still processing the disappointment but it's okay - I have a job. :-)
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:43 am Good morning, all. Where did May go???

I woke up very early in the 3:00 hour, thought from the birds singing and traffic that it must be at least 5:00 - nope.

Well, they finally got back to me about that job - I did not get it. They called yesterday. They said 11 people applied, they interviewed 5, and I was in the TOP TWO but they went with the other candidate. They said my interview was "fabulous" - and it was a difficult decision.

If that piece of news was supposed to make me feel "better" - it did not. Then they asked if I am available to substitute in the position when the candidate they selected is sick, on vacation, etc. I nicely said no, I need to have consistent, steady hours for the time being.

Back to the drawing board. I feel grateful that I have a good job and this isn't something that has to happen quickly.

Coffee is tasting amazing this morning so I'm off to enjoy that while I check email, etc. I hope you all have a very good day!!
HappyDaze,

I am so sorry you didn't get the job you interviewed for last week. I know how you were looking forward to the slower pace and "getting back to living YOUR life." It is nice for you to hear that you had an excellent interview. Who knows, maybe that other person won't work out and they'll come back to you? I know it has happened before.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

We have almost reached 30 here in the city. Man, my walk to get the mail made me sweat a little.

Chores are all finished (actually finished quite early) and I have been working on the robe. I now know why there is a hood, and will have to do a velcro closure at the top. Still have the hem and sleeve hems to do. I may work through the evening on it, but I needed a bit of a break to rest my back and neck. Hubby really likes it though and that is all that counts.

Once the robe is completely done I will be knitting mitts in the afternoons and working on the knitted blanket for one of eldest DS's friends. Really hoping that I can manage to get through more of my June projects than I did the May ones. Some will be much easier to accomplish than others, and lots are carry overs from the months before. I really need to clear those carry overs out.

My homemade bread seems to dry out quickly, so I took the little that was left, cut it in chunks and will use it to make bread crumbs once those chunks are completely dry. I had gotten out of the habit of doing this and now that bread crumbs in the store are close to $5.00 for a small bag, it's time to get back in that habit. I may make croutons out of the next bit. Waste not, want not.

Off to do read a bit more and then do a blog post. I posted the deck planting yesterday if anyone is interested. I will probably do the seating in both the firepit area and deck Saturday.
Jackie