Daily Check In June 1, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check In June 1, 2023

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:38 am I’m sorry that you didn’t get the job, Shelia! I do wonder about the age thing. I also think it was tacky to ask you to be the substitute.

But you are doing great. Keep your eye on the prize - retirement in a few years. And keep looking for part-time opportunities to retire earlier. I do not worry about you just as I did not worry about Logics when she was getting ready to retire. You both know how to live modestly within your means. I am thankful that my mom drilled it into me, too, even though I rebelled at times.
Florida, I am disappointed but thankful - I have a job at least - and I do plan to keep looking. Thank you for all your support.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:54 am HappyDaze, it may be a narrow escape that you didn't get that job. From the high school question and that tail-end offer, it looks like Amateur Hour was going on. (((HUGS)))

Good morning, frugal friends. I would love to get my sleep straightened out, but on the plus side, I left PT with no pain yesterday. A little tired and sweaty, but my legs did not hurt. It's taking the exercise plus several medication changes to get there, but it's fairly miraculous.

Today there will be grocery shopping. I am going to bake some chicken for DH and make salads. We're into melon season, so canteloupe is on the shopping list. Still have a bit of sewing, dog bathing, and picking up trash on my to-do list, but that won't all fit into today.

Hope you all have a good day. Special hugs to MJ (((HUGS)))
Mackie, my DD said something similar - as in "sounds to me like you dodged a bullet." You may both be spot on.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Quilter51 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:03 am Good morning all

Jackie, it generally is not whether you live in oil or gas country, but how close you live to the actual refineries. I live in Texas where the refineries are literally right here right of the coast, so gas is cheaper here than almost anywhere I can go.

Sheila, I am sorry to hear about the job. Age discrimination exists unfortunately and I think is really hard to prove. I know I experienced and so did my sister. keep socking it away and looking for something part time and I know it will show up. Or perhaps sometime in the future your current job might let you go part time?

Penny, Have a lovely birthday whatever you do

MJ, I am thinking for you today.

I just got up here at nine am. but I went to be a midnight and woke up so that is okay. A friend invited me to lunch cause this one restaurant has baked potato day on Thursday but I honestly I not think I will make it.

Since I no longer have sports options on my streaming I do plan to go to a local pub and watch the basketball game today. I don't know that I will watch every singe one, but I need to watch my nuggets.

I also need just a couple groceires to get me though the weekend. I am out of coke and muffins (I always just buy four at a time so I know that they are fresh instead of multiple packs but I usually eat one a day). Also mixed vegetables to add to my chicken casserole.

Other than that I will be sewing and crafting away, and possibly hitting to pool this afternoon to work out a bit, cold water still or no.

Have a lovely day, back later.
Thank you for the encouraging words, Quilter. I don't doubt that age discrimination is alive and well. I do plan to continue looking.

Charles M. Schultz
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Quilter51 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:45 pm Man I can take it warm, but th ewarm I can take inside is lessening as I age. Just got p to adjust the ac and turn on the fan. Penny I feel for you,e ven though I don't need it as cold.

Craft fair is cancelled for Saturday because of epected rain and Thunder showers, I'm fine with it, but glad I had not made too many pride things cause it's possibly the only June event I can attend. Sitting with the laptop now instead of sewing since I know I have a three day weekend so to speak to sew.
Quilter,

I was just reading on anti-depressants and some other medications AND it turns out that they can make you susceptible to the heat and dehydrations. I couldn't figure out, for myself, why I was just ROASTING when it wasn't even 75 outside. I, too, take cymbalta as my psychiatrist knows it also helps my chronic back pain along with the cPTSD. So, since I learned that, I don't feel badly about turning on the A/C and have been more aware of have some can of iced tea or take a water bottle out to the van.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Happy Birthday Penny!

I hope you enjoy your birthday, birthday cake and even are able to have it with ice cream!

Have a lovely weekend celebrating too!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackie, your deck is breathtaking! You must have hours and hours of work into it. I like Harvey's bird feeding station too! The pair of you do great stuff!

It is HOT here - miserable hot - with off the charts humidity - was that a complaint? Nahhhhhh...

I have put myself on a "vegan weight loss menu" - this is day 3. You have vegetables with every meal, even breakfast, no white flour, no processed foods, no alcohol, plenty of protein. I'm not one to go for fad diets but 2 years ago I was a size 6 - and I want that back! If this works, it will be good because it's a lot of food - just very low calorie food.

Today breakfast was a full cup of oatmeal with 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1/2 cup of shredded carrots, cinnamon and vanilla (no sweetener). Lunch was broccoli slaw, green beans, an orange bell pepper, a whole tomato (diced), and 2 vegan chicken strips, all chopped up and topped with a sauce of tahini and lime juice. Supper is roasted broccoli and cauliflower with a little tomato sauce and brown rice. All good stuff.

I am upping the exercise a bit too - different types on different days. None of this is as easy as it used to be. But I am happy to be working toward the goal - and honestly - I will settle for a size 8.

I am off work again tomorrow - I put in for the day months ago as my niece's wedding is on Saturday and I have a lot to do to prepare myself.

Off to check emails and do some surveys. Have a good evening everyone!

Charles M. Schultz