Daily Check-In, June 2, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check-In, June 2, 2023

Post by clemencia2us »

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

So having another quiet day. Is it bad that I just want to relax at home? A sibling did call about going to lunch but I said maybe during the week. I like to celebrate all month.

Tomorrow I will be going to breakfast with SIL and then we will go get a pedicure. I was wondering when we would go again. That will be relaxing.

And the little cafe we ate at last time was so good. Mmmm
Mrscreative2

Post by Mrscreative2 »

Good morning beautiful people,

Happy Birthday Clem - what do you know? We’re birthday twins! Thanks to all for your birthday greetings. It truly made my day!! Especially yours MJ - so special and heartwarming.

It’s a beautiful sunny warm day so I went for a very long walk. I picked up a croissant from Tim Horton’s to enjoy with my salad for lunch today. Dd2 returned from her out of town trip last evening and took some lieu time off for today. She said that she has something special planned for me this afternoon. What that is exactly I’m not sure!

Dh has gone golfing. I am not cooking anything for dinner, kind of hoping someone else can cook or pick something up. If not there’s plenty of food in the fridge that can be reheated.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Happy Birthday, MrsCreative! 🎉

I hope that you have a fun day!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:21 am FloridaCat, I read the Swedish Death Cleaning Book and it helped motivate me to clean out all the closets, cupboards and drawers. I dislike knickknacks, probably because I dislike dusting and anything that makes it more difficult. DH is sentimental and has some things sitting on shelves, but I don't.

I did the jewelry declutter a while back. I wear so little now that I covered a small box with pretty fabric to hold what I kept and gave the jewelry box to Goodwill with the rest inside it. Have not missed it at all.
Six or seven years ago I bought a Mele jewelry box for earrings that I thought was of decent quality. But the “leather” is disintegrating (sort of like MJ’s old recliner that left black everywhere). I just pick it up and the white “leather” falls apart in my hand. So I’m going to do like you and cover a small box for the few pieces of jewelry I’m keeping. I almost always wear either gold or pearl studs and I have two costume necklaces of moms that she wore all the time and I like them. I have her wedding and engagement rings, too. And I have a quirky old necklace made of buttons that mom gave me that I used to wear often to work and I’ll keep it. That’s about it.
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

Happy Belated Birthday to Penny and Happy Birthday to Clem and Creative! Are there any more birthdays this month?

It has been really warm during the day for this time of year, but nights are still in the 45-55 degree range. The lakes are slow to warm up when the nights are cold. DH and I and extended family are meeting at the Family camp Saturday for lunch and to put in the dock and raft. We tried to do it last Sunday, but the water was too cold. The water is a bit warmer now, but the 90 degree weather is supposed to drop to 60 degrees on Saturday. We'll do it anyway. We're Maine kids, cold is fine.... The camp neighbors went swimming last Sunday. Brrr.

My gardens are in and looking good. The patio is set up and is my outdoor living area. I spend a lot of time out there. We bought a solar fountain for the birdbath. The birds love it! $10 well spent.

I need to walk today and do some yoga. I've joined the St. Jude's 30 day yoga challenge in support of childhood cancer. This will be a challenge for me when I don;t have scheduled yoga classes. A lesson in self discipline.

I've run errands, done laundry, swept floors, watered plants, balanced my checkbook, prepared for a meeting on Monday and answered emails. I should dust a little.

I think I'll go outside and read for a bit. Maybe have a spritzer and relax in my lounge chair. It was a gift from a neighbor. He noticed I didn't have one and gave me his. He says he only used it once and so he had it stored in the shed. It is really nice and I do use it. I like our neighborhood. Most people try to help others. DH used this morning to mow. He mowed a Vietnam Veteran's yard. The Vet has a hard time breathing. Then DH mowed our carpenter neighbor's yard. They just had a baby and he is working ALL the time so she can stay home instead of paying for daycare. DH figured it would be nice if they the Carpenter could spend time with his wife instead of mowing this weekend. Oh yeah, DH also mowed the yard of our neighbor that is always delivering fresh bread to us. He brought over hamburg rolls, Dave's Killer Bread and Rye bread last night. We are set for a while.

Take care everyone!
Regards.
Julie
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Julie, that's so kind of your DH. I love that. Also, I love St. Jude. They do amazing work and research and teaching. We support them as well. Families never get a bill, and they have a huge house where out-of-town families can stay free of charge. They're the best, for sure.

Happy Birthday, Creative and Clem. And Penny, a belated happy birthday to you.

Good afternoon, frugal friends. It seems the summer heat is upon us. The humidity is low, which makes it not nearly as bad as it could be. Yesterday morning we dropped off Audrey at the groomer’s. I’m always shocked when we pick her up, at how small she really is under all that heavy, silky hair. Anyway, she got her summer buzz cut and looks good. And from how frisky she is, I know she feels much better.

I think my having to get out twice yesterday for Audrey did a number on me. My foot was in excruciating pain by last night. Then, I almost fell, coming out of the bathroom. It was a bad night.

Today, I took DH to the PT this morning and was able to find a shady spot to park/wait. When he came out, I suggested we go to lunch. So we went to Perkins, which is right next to the clinic and on the way home. We both had breakfast and enjoyed every bite. My eggs, bacon, and grits were perfect. Now, we are home and in for the weekend, thank goodness.

I finally wrote out thank you cards for those who brought meals or sent gift cards after DH’s surgery. I let it go longer than I should’ve, but I was hoping DH would do it. Oh well. They’re done and sent now and that’s what counts.

I desperately need to go for a pedicure. I put it off because: a) it takes a lot of energy, which has been in short supply with all the running around and doing for DH; and b) it’s not something enjoyable at all anymore. It’s torture, basically. Of course, I refuse the massage, but them just touching my feet (left foot) is painful most of the time. The tips of my toes are the most sensitive/painful. I try to wait until I’m having a very good day. I also can’t use the place I used to (that I liked the most) because I can’t park right in front of the door and walk in. So I basically have to choose a place based on parking. Anyway, I’ve got to just bite the bullet and do it soon. Luckily we have a nail salon in every strip mall in the city, lol, so there’s plenty around.
Patty