Daily Check In June 3, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check In June 3, 2023

Post by HappyDaze »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:49 pm OMG!

Without a word of a lie, my "mother" makes comments like that at weddings, receptions and funerals. It is mortifying. Now that she is 84? I guess, if the siblings actually weren't as bad as her, they could just say she may have inherited dementia from her mother. ACK!

You did well to not strangle them before the Bride and Groom were pronounced Mr. and Mrs.

You really are going to have a HUGE house of gold in heaven!!

MJ

Oh, at my wedding? My Roman Catholic "mother" wandered around the Anglican Church Hall where we were having the reception telling anyone she could , "It's a pity she won't REALLY be married since this isn't THE REAL church." AUGH!
Perhaps our mothers are related? ;-)

Come to find out, my sister got an offer she couldn't refuse - one of her many "man friends" came to whisk her away for the weekend. She finds them online, lets them wine and dine her, even got one to pay for her false teeth - over $6K - and then dumped him.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

HappyDaze, I am glad things went pretty well with the wedding. Thank goodness your folks went home afterward!

Perhaps you can decompress tomorrow. (((HUGS)))
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:20 pm Perhaps our mothers are related? ;-)

Come to find out, my sister got an offer she couldn't refuse - one of her many "man friends" came to whisk her away for the weekend. She finds them online, lets them wine and dine her, even got one to pay for her false teeth - over $6K - and then dumped him.
Holy cow!!

We must have some long ago chromosomes matching. My little sister used to do this stuff. Now? My intensely Roman Catholic "mother" sees that my little sister is married to Scott but has her boyfriend, Mitch, to keep her comfortable with "extras." Get this----> They all live in the same house. My "mother" says to me at a wedding where Mitch came but the husband was at home, and said, "Isn't it nice that Ellen found such a nice widower?"

Honest to gawd. I do NOT understand these people. I ALWAYS tell my friends, "THANK GOD there is an international border between them and me. YIKES!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:34 pm I would call the day a success, MJ. I had to shush my mother twice during the ceremony - once when they said the groom's uncle was coming up to make some remarks and she said "well I hope they're brief" and the people in front of us turned around and looked to see who said it. I was mortified. The second time was when she said "damn funny this is supposed to be an adults only event and there are 5 kids in the wedding party. OY!!

Then they did pictures while the guests had appetizers. My parents were well behaved during the photos.

Then my dad wandered so I wandered to follow him. He went to the big outdoor kitchen where the caterers were putting the finishing touches on the meal and asked them when it would be ready and if they needed any help.

Then after we ate he said he was cold and was going to go sit in the car. The car was locked and about a quarter mile away. I told him if he would wait till the speeches were done we could leave - but he got up and wandered again. I went after him and said GIVE ME THREE MINUTES TO SAY SOME GOODBYES AND WE WILL GO. So we left.

All the way home they complained about how the wedding "wasn't right" - there were no ushers seating people, no gift table, they had too many attendants (12 bridesmaids, 12 groomsmen, 2 ring bearers, 2 flower girls), they had to wait too long for their food, they didn't like the food, there were too many FAT PEOPLE there (I kid you not).

As soon as we got back to my house they got in their car and left - thank goodness, I don't think I would take any more of them tonight!!
My MIL's sister (we'll call her LM, for loudmouth) is a horrid piece of work who, thankfully, lives very far away.

MIL's step granddaughter, with whom she was(is? maybe) close, got married. Her half-sister, MIL's then 17 y.o. bio granddaughter, was one of 2 attendants.

LM was very vocal regarding the attendant granddaughter and her mother (she's mom to both girls) - "I thought they said they were going to lose weight for this!" During the ceremony, as the attendants are coming in, "[Granddaughter] sure is fat!" Loud enough everyone there, and likely next door, heard it.

MIL's son and the girls' mother had enough and after the ceremony told LM they were sick of her and for her to get out. MIL took LM and both their husbands home. And didn't come back. She paid for most of that event, made centerpieces, etc., helped decorate - then stayed home and missed the reception and photos because of her loudmouthed sister. I would have dropped LM and her hubby at the curb and said 'see you later!' then went back for the party.

While the youngest of the girls is fairly large, their mother is totally normal; fit-looking. LM, for her part, is huge.

Everyone in our household agrees that if/when either of our children marry, LM doesn't need to know about it. If MIL doesn't like that, she can go visit LM and skip the festivities.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Mrscreative2 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:06 pm Hi MJ - $42 just for a haircut (assuming you also have your hair washed, conditioned and blow dried) seems like an awful lot to me. My stylist does it for $28 and even styles it after drying with a curling iron or straightener. I get mine done about twice a year in a very simple, low maintenance bob. I get my hair professionally coloured around once a year or whenever going on a trip. Costs me $110.00 for a colour, cut and style.

Perhaps the price varies according to location but I think you generally pay more in big cities like Toronto or Vancouver.

Just my two cents worth!

Creative
Here in SW Ohio I pay between $38 & $40 for a haircut, blow dry and style, so that sounds like a reasonable price to me.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:58 pm My MIL's sister (we'll call her LM, for loudmouth) is a horrid piece of work who, thankfully, lives very far away.

MIL's step granddaughter, with whom she was(is? maybe) close, got married. Her half-sister, MIL's then 17 y.o. bio granddaughter, was one of 2 attendants.

LM was very vocal regarding the attendant granddaughter and her mother (she's mom to both girls) - "I thought they said they were going to lose weight for this!" During the ceremony, as the attendants are coming in, "[Granddaughter] sure is fat!" Loud enough everyone there, and likely next door, heard it.

MIL's son and the girls' mother had enough and after the ceremony told LM they were sick of her and for her to get out. MIL took LM and both their husbands home. And didn't come back. She paid for most of that event, made centerpieces, etc., helped decorate - then stayed home and missed the reception and photos because of her loudmouthed sister. I would have dropped LM and her hubby at the curb and said 'see you later!' then went back for the party.

While the youngest of the girls is fairly large, their mother is totally normal; fit-looking. LM, for her part, is huge.

Everyone in our household agrees that if/when either of our children marry, LM doesn't need to know about it. If MIL doesn't like that, she can go visit LM and skip the festivities.
Yikes!!! I guess some folks lack the emotional intelligence or maturity or whatever it is to behave appropriately. Yeah, I would keep her off your kiddos guest lists!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz