Daily Check in June 4, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check in June 4, 2023

Post by HappyDaze »

Update: Dishes are done, counters are cleared and wiped down, laundry is going. Throw rugs have been taken outside and shaken out, carpets are vacuumed.

DD's SO has gone to pick her up (she camped out at the wedding site last night with several cousins and the wedding party). They will help clean up the venue before coming home.

It is an absolutely beautiful day and I need to get outside and get some of that natural vitamin d. I will feed the outdoor cats and water my flowers, then I might just sit outside and read for awhile.

I hope everyone is having a very good day!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

MJ, I think that's a very fair price for a haircut. I pay more here. I've been needing a trim, though, and I think I'll go where my DH goes for that. She has a salon in her garage (set it up after Covid closed the salon she worked at). My DH has gone to her for years. I never have, but if I have to take him, I might as well have her give me a trim while she's at it. My problem is I finally found someone who can taper my hair so it doesn't look like a triangle at the bottom, but she's expensive. So I'll ask if DH's person can do it. If not, then next time I'll go back to my high-priced person. Either way, I'll get some of this hot mess off me. I'm so wishy-washy. When my hair is long (as it is now) I end up putting it in a ponytail. Like ALL the time, because it's heavy and easy to frizz out (even with all the products I have to use). Eventually I get sick of it and get it lopped off short. Then over time I regret doing it and start the growing-out process all over. Sheesh...I think the real issue is I perpetually view myself through a critical lens, so I'm never happy with what I see.

I have my chronic illness support group meeting at 1pm and my group writing session at 2pm, both on zoom. I made pork chops, au gratin potatoes, and green peas for supper last night, so we'll have those leftovers tonight. We also have a few left over biscuits, so I won't need to do anything tonight.

I started watching Shiny Happy People last night. It's disturbing, and not surprising in the least. I never really watched the Duggars, but I know a lot of people did. I am fascinated/repulsed with the vast amount of spiritual abuse being perpetuated in the world today. Still. I actually attended a fundamentalist church in another life and have my own stories. As always, at the top of the heap making all decisions are Old White Men. They run the world. Still.

I'm really fighting to get myself out of this funk I've been in. I just can't accept the fact that I'm never going to be able to take a walk out in nature. Never going to walk on the beach. It's just not acceptable. Every step is tenuous and I'm always one step away from a bad fall. I'm sorry I keep bringing it up, but it's like it just runs on a loop in my brain. Even when I'm thinking about other stuff, it's running in the background. Ugh.
Patty
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

mbrudnic wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:36 am Good Morning everyone and have a blessed Sunday,

So yesterday was, of course DGSs' back to back baseball games. DGS6 refused to play. So I watched a bit and then decided to go shopping for a Father's day gift and the University gift shop. I lucked into a sale of 50% off of Under Armor Polo shirts. Then I went back for DGS9's game. He had a decent game. His team won. They already qualified for playoffs for the Little League World Series.

So I need to leave in half an hour for Church. Then I think I will get coffee, come home and read my paper and then make a quick visit to Mom and Dad's. Then I will go to DS1's to discuss food for our vacation in 2 weeks. I have lists. We basically need to take all consumables since we are renting a cottage.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Congrats to DGS9 and team for qualifying for the LLW series!!!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:34 am Good morning, Maggie and everyone. Maggie, great score on the Father's Day gift! I don't know what your weather was like yesterday but here it was a perfect day for baseball. Another nice one on tap for today.

I woke up with a fierce headache. Coffee is helping. The dogs have been out and are settled down.

I did not know until yesterday that DD has picked up a temporary job and has been working for about 2 weeks!! I don't know why she didn't tell me. She is working for a company that cleans cottages and homes on the lake. A friend of a friend of hers owns the business and is desperate for help. It's very decent money too - $18 an hour for cleaning - and minimum wage here is $14.20.

The kiddos leave for the farm in about a week (he was there for a couple weeks, is back till it's time for them both to go for the whole season). I am sure going to miss them. I remember last year when they left, it was such a huge adjustment. And I thought I would never adjust to NOT living alone. I guess you just never know.

You wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference since they have their own quarters and all but it does. Ah well, I'll get through it - then they'll be back in the fall and I'll have to adjust again, lol. Having them here has been such a blessing to me. It was supposed to be to help them out during the pandemic - it has helped me out just as much, if not more.

Well, I'm off to check emails, etc. and then have to tidy up around here - I left a trail of disaster while getting ready for the wedding yesterday.
I know what you mean about your kids being there..but separate. It is such a comfort to have mine on the property next to us. We help each other out a lot.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:49 am Good morning

Another early morning for me, but I did go to bed early. I am starting to like this schedule. Wow can't believe I used to stay up until 1 or 2 in the morning. I slept okay until the thunder and lightning started up again. Two nights in a row now. At least I still don't have to water my tomato plants.

Today I am going to my sister's retirement party. She is a teacher. My brother and SIL are picking me up. I am getting so used to people carting me around! :mrgreen: I am very lucky.

I hope it doesn't rain during the party, but it can be indoors also. She has a pretty big house.

It will be good to see my nephews/niece and grand-nephews and nieces. They all live in the city and have busy careers.

Hope all have a great day.
A nice day out!
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne dimanche toute le monde!

I couldn't sleep very well last night. Just bugged by something. I got up a early but came out to my lovely new rocker recliner and got another hour or so of sleep. That made things so much nicer. I just made a second cup of coffee so I could read the check-ins and post my own. I needed the coffee! I still need breakfast too. I guess that now it is almost 11 am, I'll just go for brunch!

At 10:30 am, I checked the termperature. It was already 79F with a humidex at 90F. The heat warnings for the day were already out. YIKES! We are predicted to get up to 90F today with the humidex being 100F. I'm not wanting to go out into that but I have to. WAH!!

A woman I met last year about doggo sitting her two pups contacted me yesterday about coming to spend an overnight with Kizmet and Karma. I am going to her house for 2 pm to get all the instructions and have things set-up. It is for next Saturday and then her daughter will come on Sunday to take over looking after the fur babies. I almost said, "no," but I need that little bit of moolah to go out and buy more coffee! I thought about trying to go without it for the month when my current can runs out. I just couldn't fathom me not having coffee and the opportunity to enjoy iced coffees like Penny does.

I organized a bag of all the spices that go into Taco Seasoning Mix. I use enough of it that I thought rather than hunt through all the bags of spices I have, I'd put them all together. I know what's in there and if I need them for anything else, I'll have them easily accesible. My beverage counter looks quite nice and I am glad I got that organized yesterday. It's the nicest and most decluttered counter top in the kitchen at the moment. Next is the counter top my stand mixer is on.

I've had the A/C on for a bit this morning to get out the humidity and get a cool start to the day. I don't like it hot in here. I'm pretty pampered when it comes to the A/C. I don't run it for very long and the hydro bill doesn't go up significantly so I'm good with that.

Well, I am getting hungry so time to make up my brunch and maybe get in a nice shower for my afternoon.

That's the skinny from around here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.